SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Opinions wanted

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

"The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us,[fn] not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." 2 Peter 3. 9

Todd, I know you are being 'atheists advocate', but although there is no clear evidence that anyone preached to the Canaanites, but there is also no evidence to say someone did not, or that they did not know right from wrong.

However as believers we know it is God's character to be merciful and always give men opportunity to repent, so that is why we would know that if God waited in His patience 400 years before He brought judgemnt it was to give time to see if they would change their ways, much like the people of Ninevah in Jonah's day.

That may not sattisfy an atheist who wants an accuse to accuse God of wickedness, but it should satisfy a believer and also a person who genuinely wants to find God.

Edit:Scripture added.

2017/2/18 15:05Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Todd, I'm sure the Canaanites heard news from neighbouring countries, and that would have included Egypt where the Israelites were for 400 years. They must have known about God. Abraham, Isaac and Jacob sojourned among them. They must have known about the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah. Even in the book of Joshua, news spread pretty fast to the Canaanites that the children of Israel were coming to occupy the land. They even had the opportunity to leave before Joshua and his armies got there. All of this, coupled with their consciences (if they still had one) screaming at them "No!!! It's wrong to sacrifice children on altars!!! It's wicked to have sex with animals!!! Stop this or God will judge you!!!" Even if there is no scripture verse that says "God sent the prophet so-and-so to warn the Canaanites", God is still merciful. Why bother giving them 400 years at all? Why not just raise up another nation to wipe them off the face of the map?

And as for atheists, none of their arguments hold any water. Bill Maher criticizes religion, but he is in favour of legalized prostitution! Think of it! Has this blind leader of the blind ever met a prostitute? They are poor, hurting victims who have to sell their bodies to satisfy some horrible addiction or get money for their pimp! There are many child prostitutes; some of them are raped, murdered and abused beyond my powers of description. And these so-called "enlightened" atheists who have thrown off the shackles of "oppressive religion" have a problem with justice? They complain that "God did nothing to help the Jews during the holocaust", for example, but if God does judge a nation like the Canaanites, they say He is barbaric! They would say the same thing if God intervened in wartime Germany. (Which He did if you think about it; he sent the Allies.)

2017/2/18 16:19Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

These are all good arguments.

What convinced me about the evil of the canaanites is that they had a huge hollow bronze statue of molech with arms stretched out in front. They built fires inside the idol and it got red hot. Then they would get music playing really loud so that when they laid a baby in the outstretched arms it's screams would not interfere with their orgies in front of the idol.

God would not be God if He did not judge such wickedness.

2017/2/18 16:27Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Colin, I don't agree that fallen angels can mate with women. A lot of this is from the book of Enoch, and some people have tried to make Genesis agree with it. I agree with John Wesley's commentary:

"That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose." Genesis 6:2

The sons of God — Those who were called by the name of the Lord, and called upon that name, married the daughters of men - Those that were profane, and strangers to God. The posterity of Seth did not keep to themselves as they ought, but intermingled with the race of Cain: they took them wives of all that they chose - They chose only by the eye: They saw that they were fair - Which was all they looked at.

It would also seem to contradict Matthew 22:30 "At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven."

2017/2/18 16:38Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: Colin, I don't agree that fallen angels can mate with women.

Here is something for you to think about..

Daniel 2:43 And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.

"they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men"

Just what (or who) are "mingling with the seed of men?" These would seem to refer to some beings who are not the seed of men themselves!

Could this be a hint of a return to the mischief of Genesis 6?

2017/2/18 17:35Profile
savannah

Re: NO OPINION

Jesus said,

But you do not believe, because you are not my sheep. John 10:26

OPINION - The judgment which the mind forms of any proposition, statement, theory or event, the truth or falsehood of which is supported by a degree of evidence that renders it probably, but does not produce absolute knowledge or certainty.

OPINION is when the assent of the understanding is so far gained by evidence of probability, that it rather inclines to one persuasion than to another, yet not without a mixture of uncertainty or doubting. - Webster's 1828 Dictionary

Our calling is to proclaim the Truth of God in His Word, not our opinions!

2017/2/18 19:20Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Opinions wanted

Frank: Romans 2 gives what I think is the best argument. Man has an innate knowledge that there is a God to whom he is accountable. His very sense of being right or of being wronged and the laws he makes as a result are ample evidence of that. A truly honest man will seek for that creator.

I have dealt with many people who ask the kind of questions that this man is asking you. In most all cases, the question is simply an argument, meant to sooth the mind and give justification for rejecting God. They usually don't really want to know. They usually know already, and reject, hence the argument.

On the outside chance that this man is sincere with his question, and he may very well be, I would turn him to scripture. I would show him that we are all worthy of death by the very fact that we have sinned, and that a person who does not turn to God doubly so be the fact that this person has spurned the sacrifice of his creator that was meant to reinstate their once lost relationship.

Another interesting note about Genesis and the flood. There is some scriptural evidence that the pre-flood people had a second chance after death to accept Christ. 1 Peter 3:18-20, depending, I guess, on how you understand these verses.

2017/2/18 20:32Profile

Re:

Thanks bro Travis, and Savannah, might I suggest valium? I was asking for the opinions of the saints, unless you speak in infallible sentences, anything you have ever said on SI has been your opinion, maybe I should follow your advice and simply ignore what you just shared based on that reasoning :)
Thank you to all the normal people who replied..........bro Frank

2017/2/18 20:56
savannah

Re: NO SUGGESTIONS

2 Timothy 2:19
The foundation of God stands firm, and it has this seal: "And THE LORD knows those who are His, and let everyone who calls on the name of THE LORD separate from evil."

Numbers 16:5
The LORD knows those who are His, and him who is holy, and hath brought near unto Him; even him whom He doth fix on, He bringeth near unto Him.

2017/2/18 21:23Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Savanna it would be helpful if you would explain what in the world you are talking about.

2017/2/18 23:32Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy