SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Sermons | Live

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is Galatians 2:20 a promise or experience?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sree

Is Galatians 2:20 a promise or experience?

Gal 2:20 - NASB - I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and [t]the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.

If this is the promise then by default we can all proclaim this promise unconditionally. For example all we need to do is to believe that I am crucified and Jesus is living inside me already. Our ability to sin is already crucified, hence now we cannot sin as Jesus is living in our body.

But if we see this verse as an experience, then it means Apostle Paul reached this stage in his life. We too have a hope that we can reach that standard where the 'I' is crucified. How did Paul get here? By everyday crucifying his flesh along with its desires. Gal 5:24 - Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.

So is it a promise or experience? I always thought it as an experience never as a promise. But having read lot of views on death in this forum, it appears that some have taken it as a literal promise. Which one is true?

2017/2/14 12:56Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Is Galatians 2:20 a promise or experience?

I believe Romans 6 is the commentary. When I was baptized into Christ, I was baptized into His death. This is why we have the picture of this baptism contained in water baptism. Death, burial, and resurrection to new life. Except a seed die, it cannot bring forth new life. We can try to break it down and analyze it, but I think It is simply what happens when a man is born again.

Now the trick is to bring this reality of the spirit to bear upon the unregenerate flesh. This is why I die daily. This is why I fast. This is why I buffet my body and bring it into subjection.

2017/2/14 13:22Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

We can try to break it down and analyze it, but I think It is simply what happens when a man is born again.

Yes the death explained in Romans 6 is the born again experience, where the Old man is dead. The old man was sinning freely. He is now dead.

Quote:

Now the trick is to bring this reality of the spirit to bear upon the unregenerate flesh. This is why I die daily. This is why I fast. This is why I buffet my body and bring it into subjection.

Yes I agree with this. We cannot experience the resurrected life of Jesus without daily death to self. Paul is talking in Gal 2:20 about his experience of resurrected life based on daily death.

2017/2/14 13:34Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

I agree with Travis that Romans 6 tells us of our true identification with Christ. These are facts that we must know:
We have been crucified with Christ, that is the old man, so that the body of sin might be destroyed. We were raised with Him into newness of life, and now our heavenly position is that we are seated together with Him in the heavenly places.

But what Christ has done in His death, burial, and resurrection has to become a living reality in our lives, and the Holy Spirit has been sent to make it so. I have been crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live." The old me died, but the new me, the new man in Christ is alive, and now the life that we live is by the faith of the Son of God. It is through our faith in what Christ has done that the Holy Spirit applies the death of the cross to our members, when we reckon ourselves to be dead to sin. The same Spirit that raised Christ from the dead gives us His life, so that "the law of the Spirit of life that is in Christ Jesus, has made us free from the law of sin and death. It is death to the old man, but life to the new creation in Christ.

A good book to read about our identification with Christ is "The Normal Christian Life" by Watchman Nee.

2017/2/14 13:52Profile
proudpapa

Abraham was given a promise, He believed that promise but he felt that he should assist God in making that promise an experience instead of simply resting and trusting that God would fulfill that promise through him.

what was produced was Ishmael.

add clarity

2017/2/14 14:06Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

Being "led" implies taking action or doing... so what is it we should do?

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Seems pretty straightforward ~

2017/2/14 14:27Profile
rookie

"If this is the promise then by default we can all proclaim this promise unconditionally."

The question is phrased wrong. One should ask oneself "has God promised me?" Throughout the Scriptures we see example after example of God speaking promises to those who cry out to Him.

So what Paul states is true for those whom God has established His promise with. In the beginning of Galatians chapter 2 we hear abundant testimony of how God revealed Himself through Christ to him. Peter and the others recognized the work of God through Christ in Paul.

2017/2/14 15:04Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

It is not a promise but a fact. A fact and truth for every born again believer , whether we walk in the full experience of it or not.

When we believe we are united with Christ in His death, burial and resurrection.

The natural man is flesh dominated, the born again man is Spirit ruled and led.

2017/2/14 15:25Profile
savannah

A dearly beloved pastor and friend of mine died. I attended his funeral. Parkinson's Disease finally got the best of him.
I do not say this in jest. It is true. And all of us that knew him greatly grieved.

Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone. But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust. Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death. James 1:13-15

Can a dead man be tempted?

Can my pastor friend be tempted any longer?

Can you?

Go figure!

2017/2/14 15:28Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

It may be a fact but facts can be ignored. The truth Paul mentions is not an automatic. Thats where the Christian disciplines come in handy.

2017/2/14 15:31Profile

©2002-2017 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy