SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : A Book Warning ! "The kingdom that turned the world upside down"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

A Book Warning ! "The kingdom that turned the world upside down"

The Solid Rock
My hope is built on nothing less
Than Jesus’ blood and righteousness;
I dare not trust the sweetest frame,
But wholly lean on Jesus’ name. Refrain:
On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
All other ground is sinking sand,
All other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils His lovely face,
I rest on His unchanging grace;
In every high and stormy gale,
My anchor holds within the veil.
His oath, His covenant, His blood
Support me in the whelming flood;
When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.
When He shall come with trumpet sound,
Oh, may I then in Him be found;
Dressed in His righteousness alone,
Faultless to stand before the throne.

"The Kingdom That Turned the World Upside Down" by David Bercot p 22 :

Bercot speaking about the hymn writes :

"The only passage in Scripture that speaks of building on the rock instead of on the sinking sand is the passage ... from the sermon on the mount. Jesus made it absoulutly clear that the only way we can build on that rock is to do what He preached in that sermon. His grace is trully unchanging, but he extends it only to those who love and obey him.
Yet this popular hymn totally ignores the very words of Jesus and teaches instead that we build on the rock by simply trusting in Jesus grace and righteousness to cover us - regardless of how we live. And guess who most proffessing Christians choose to believe (1) Jesus Himself or (2) this hymn writer and others who preach a Gospel of easy - believism."

2017/2/14 9:06Profile

Re: A Book Warning ! "The kingdom that turned the world upside down"

Hi PP. I read Bercot's book and the one passage you have highlighted is the one page of the book I did not agree with. That is one of my favorite hymns and of course you do not have to follow a Gospel of easy-believism to be able to sing this hymn. Yet, if anyone allowed that one point from stopping them reading his book they would be doing themselves a great dis-service. That is the danger of taking one point of any book and highlighting it. No matter what book we read, we should find something that we dont agree with for outside of Scriptures there is no infallible writers. I urge people to read this book, it is very important.....................bro Frank

2017/2/14 9:11
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

It is a great book, I have read it and his other books.

but this page did share an extreme of a view that I believe is "reactionary" more then a right Biblical interoperation.

I know one brother who closed the book at that page and became a strong calvinist afterwards. I personally strike a middle ground and rejoice in the death and resurrection of our Lord. But also see our requirement to pick up our cross and follow the Lord.

2017/2/14 9:23Profile
proudpapa

Re:

Bro Frank,

We will have to agree to disagree.

The first time I read the book I liked it, and got into alot of Bercots writings.

But when our fellowship went through the book slowly as a group we came across this part.

I believe this part reveals what he believes and the mindset that is behind the entire book and his writings.

He has had years to correct this part but has not.

clarity

2017/2/14 9:29Profile
proudpapa

Re:

I believe he influenced Bro Denny, I wish it had been Bro Denny whom had influenced him.

This is the kind of message that starts revival :

The Spirit Of Law And The Spirit Of Grace by Denny Kenaston

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=13205

add "I believe"

spell

2017/2/14 9:35Profile
savannah

Re: Christ the "Solid Rock"

My Hope Is Built on Nothing Less" or the "Solid Rock", hymn written by Edward Mote -

Note the believer's basis of faith as expressed in this text in the hymn:

Jesus' blood, His righteousness, His unchanging grace, His oath and covenant. Truly, when one has such objective truth upon which to build a life and future hope, "all other ground is sinking sand."

The personal life of this hymn's author is most interesting. Edward Mote was born on January 21, 1797, of very poor, ungodly parents, in London, England. His parents were keepers of an inn or public house in London. In writing of his youth, Mote said, "My Sundays were spent in the streets. So ignorant was I that I did not know that there was a God." He further states that the school he attended did not even allow a Bible to be seen, much less taught. As a youth, Mote was apprenticed to a cabinetmaker and eventually became known as a successful craftsman of that trade. At the age of sixteen, he was taken by his master to hear the esteemed preacher, John Hyatt, of the Tottenham Court Chapel. Here young Edward was genuinely converted to Christ.

Edward Mote ministered faithfully to God's people until forced to resign because of poor health, one year before he died on November 13, 1874. Just prior to his death, he said: "The truths I have been preaching, I am now living upon, and they do very well to die upon."

Near the pulpit in the church is a tablet with this inscription:

"In loving memory of Mr. Edward Mote, who fell asleep in Jesus November 13th, 1874, aged 77 years. For 26 years the beloved pastor of this church, preaching Christ and Him crucified, as all the sinner can need, and all the saint desire."

The "Solid Rock" text was written in 1834, and Mote titled it, "The Gracious Experience of a Christian." The completed hymn text originally consisted of six stanzas. Expressions from portions of these two omitted verses are interesting to observe:

"My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness; 'Midst all the hell I feel within, on His completed work I lean.
I trust His righteous character, His council, promise, and His power;
His honor and His name's at stake, to save me from the burning lake."

The following account was given to one of the local newspapers by Edward Mote regarding the writing of his hymn:

"One morning it came into my mind as I went to labor, to write an hymn on the "Gracious Experience of a Christian." As I went up Holborn I had the chorus, 'On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.'

"In the day, I had the first four verses complete, and wrote them off. On the Sabbath following, I met Brother King as I came out of the Lisle Street Meeting ... who informed me that his wife was very ill, and asked me to call and see her. I had an early tea and called afterwards. He said that it was his usual custom to sing a hymn, read a portion, and engage in prayer, before he went to the meeting. He looked for his hymnbook, but could find it nowhere. I said, 'I have some verses in my pocket; if you like, we could sing them.' We did, and his wife enjoyed them so much that after the service he asked me, as a favor, to leave a copy of them for his wife. I went home, and by the fireside composed the last two verses, wrote them off, and took them to Sister King. As these verses so met the dying woman's case, my attention to them was the more arrested, and I had a thousand of them printed for distribution. I sent one to the Spiritual Magazine, without my initials, which appeared some time after this.

He was so well loved that his congregation offered him title to the church building, but he said:

I do not want the chapel, I only want the pulpit; and when I cease to preach Christ, then turn me out of that.

(Excerpts from a website)

2017/2/14 10:08Profile
proudpapa

Re:

RE : ///It is a great book, I have read it and his other books.///

Try going through this book in a group setting with people whom 30 plus years ago one of the the spouse's before being saved came out of a divorced relationship of which no kids where born. whom afterwards got remarried and than saved and had several children.

2017/2/14 10:33Profile

Re:

Lets agree to disagree PP. I have listened to sermons and read books by people who are persuaded by Calvinism, but that did not make me a Calvinist. There are great writers who write many edifying things but who are not infallible. What we are disagreeing on was that this one page was the reason he wrote the book and that everything in the book was influenced by his thoughts on this subject............bro Frank

2017/2/14 10:56

Re:

Thank you Savannah , that was very interesting and edifying. Always good to put a face and a testimony to a hymn writer........

PS I hope my theology is perfect in all of my poems and hymns otherwise I might find myself in trouble :)

2017/2/14 11:01

Re:

Bro Greg writes............

"It is a great book, I have read it and his other books.
but this page did share an extreme of a view that I believe is "reactionary" more then a right Biblical interoperation."

Amen..............bro Frank

2017/2/14 11:03

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy