SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : What books are you reading?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

What books are you reading?

I'm an avid reader, I love books on revival. I love to read about transformed lives most of all. A lot of tedious theology bores me, and I'm not big on fiction. Right now I'm reading C.T. Studd's biography by Norman Grubb. Here is an excerpt:

"What a difference love makes. The Saviour knew it and commanded it. Can't we all love out here? Must we deny our Lord by unworthy suspicion out here? Suspicions subtract, faith adds, but love multiplies; it blesses twice, him who gets and him who gives. Oh, how I long for love to dominate every soul-when each loves everyone else but himself, and seeks everyone's good, while he goes, like Paul, collecting all other people's sufferings and sorrows to bear them himself. Let this be the rule of H.A.M. (Heart of Africa Mission), then there will be no rules, for the rule of love keeps automatically all good rules. His ministers He has made ' a flame of fire'~not flames, but 'a flame', for there is and must be a blessed unity, else the Lord cannot bless as he would."

That's powerful! One of the best books I have ever read.

So I'm curious as to what everyone is reading, and if you have any recommendations.

2017/2/11 14:34Profile
markuskiwi

New Zealand

Re: What books are you reading?

Some books I can recommend:
The Calvary Road, by Roy Hession
The Saving Life of Christ, by W. Ian Thomas
A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23, by W.Phillip Keller

They help us to understand what matters most, the personal relationship with our Lord and Roy talks about revival in his book.

2017/2/12 1:25Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

I have been looking at:

Eusebius: The Church History: Paul L. Maier

I am constantly reading booklets, articles and sermons online on revival, prayer, deeper life, etc.

It would be interesting to hear what other saints are reading, it seems book reading is on a minimum these days for many.

2017/2/12 7:41Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Thanks, I will check out those books. I have a few other books to read before I can get around to those. One is I Saw The Welsh Revival by David Matthews and America Is Too Young To Die by Ravenhill.

Another highly recommended book is The Unlisted Legion by Jock Purves.

Also anything by Nicky Cruz.

2017/2/12 8:39Profile
docs

Re:

I just recently finished,

"The New Christian Zionism: Fresh Perspectives on Israel and the Land." By Craig Blaising, Darrell Brock, David Rudolph, Joel Willitts and others. A review is below.

Can a theological case be made from Scripture that Israel still has a claim to the Promised Land? Christian Zionism is often seen as the offspring of premillennial dispensationalism. But the historical roots of Christian Zionism came long before the rise of the Plymouth Brethren and John Nelson Darby. In fact, the authors of The New Christian Zionism contend that the biblical and theological connections between covenant and land are nearly as close in the New Testament as in the Old. Written with academic rigor by experts in the field, this book proposes that Zionism can be defended historically, theologically, politically and morally. While this does not sanctify every policy and practice of the current Israeli government, the authors include recommendations for how twenty-first-century Christian theology should rethink its understanding of both ancient and contemporary Israel, the Bible and Christian theology more broadly. This provocative volume proposes a place for Christian Zionism in an integrated biblical vision.

Doc: It was a good read of over 250 pages. Very sound and thorough research and exegesis went into the book and its chapters. It underscored again for me how any belief in a prophetically forecast return of a Jewish presence to the land is many times automatically seen as dispensationalism when this is far from the truth. It ably demonstrated that a belief in a Jewish return to the land never really died out in church history and began to gain increased momentum again around the 1600s. And people such as Balfour etc. were just not wacky Zionists captured by the demands of secular Zionists wanting a homeland but were men steeped in Biblical knowledge and insight. This present return is a against all odds miracle that essentially defies natural explanations. Christian Zionists need not hang their heads because of the many deragatory lables that have been heaped upon them. Chapters are devoted to Israel and international law and justice and fair play while a strong spiritual and theological case is made that Isarel and the land are still relevant to the highest degree in God's thinking and plan. I recommend it as a scripturally thought provoking read.

2017/2/12 9:20Profile
Lysa

East TN (for the time being)

Wow, my reading is fluffy light, I'm reading a book called Imagine Heaven, it's about near-death experiences & God's promises. It's very interesting if you like that sort of reading!!

God bless

It would be more interesting to have a study of a book in the Bible and everyone who wants to chime in on their take of what it spoke to them. Just a thought.

2017/2/12 9:44Profile
docs

Re:

/It would be more interesting to have a study of a book in the Bible and everyone who wants to chime in on their take of what it spoke to them. Just a thought/

Not a bad idea at all.

2017/2/12 9:52Profile
drifter

Campbell River, B.C.

Re:

Thank David and Lisa. My list of books to read is certainly growing!

2017/2/12 10:04Profile
dohzman

Manners Customs of the Bible, Freeman//OT Bible History Edersheim// and The life of Christ in Stereo Cheney

2017/2/12 13:45Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Currently reading;

The Fourfold Gospel by A.B. Simpson
The Walk That Pleases God by Evan Henry Hopkins

Been especially blessed by Evan Hopkins' writings recently, he was associated with the early Keswick days, his books The Law of Liberty in the Spiritual Life and Thoughts on Life and Godliness are very good, would like to find more from him.

In Christ,

2017/2/12 15:31Profile

©2002-2017 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy