SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : So can a nation really be great?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

So can a nation really be great?

Isaiah 40:15-17New American Standard Bible (NASB)

15 Behold, the nations are like a drop from a bucket,
And are regarded as a speck of dust on the scales;
Behold, He lifts up the islands like fine dust.
16 Even Lebanon is not enough to burn,
Nor its beasts enough for a burnt offering.
17 All the nations are as nothing before Him,
They are regarded by Him as less than nothing and meaningless.

So in light of the above verses can the President really make America great again? For that matter in light of the above verses when was America really great?

Bro Blaine

2017/2/3 17:46
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: So can a nation really be great?

Brethren,

Of course there is such a attraction to Donald Trump, it is more like a mesmerism of the populous. Leaders come and go, may we be about the work of the kingdom of God in our lives and these things will sort themselves out. We must pray for those in leadership.

God does raise up nations in influence and power for his own reasons to accomplish his goals. We are to be pilgrims and servants as the Church in the midst of all the nations.

2017/2/3 17:56Profile

Re: Greg

//God does raise up nations in influence and power for his own reasons to accomplish his goals. We are to be pilgrims and servants as the Church in the midst of all the nations.//

Brother so agree. I believe Peter describes below the type of nation that God is making great.

1 Peter 2:9-10New American Standard Bible (NASB)

9 But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, so that you may proclaim the excellencies of Him who has called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 for you once were not a people, but now you are the people of God; you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.

For this is the nation that he has called us to be We are called to be a spiritual nation is under Jesus.

Bro Blaine

2017/2/3 18:29
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Of course a nation can be great. Just like a football team can be great, or cake can be great.

The trouble of course is that this is always something of a subjective measurement.

2017/2/4 8:07Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Distinguish great from good.

Alabama Crimson Tide football is great.

It is not good.

God is good.

2017/2/4 16:14Profile
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re: So can a nation really be great?

Quote: For that matter in light of the above verses when was America really great?

What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him? And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting before you today?

The verses of Deuteronomy 4:7-8 above, while they are talking about the Jews, clearly say that if the people have the "law of the LORD", then they are a "great nation".

2017/2/4 16:42Profile

Re:

God has recognized only one physical nation in the scriptures. That nation was Israel. Under the New Covenant the nation that God recognizes are those who are joined spiritually in their hearts to the Lord Jesus Christ. In essence this would be the bride of Christ. This is the holy nation that Peter the Apostle speaks of in 1st Peter 2.

As usual simply my thoughts.

Bro Blaine

2017/2/4 17:04
murrcolr

Scotland, UK

Re:

Quote: As usual simply my thoughts.

“He makes nations great, and He destroys them; He enlarges nations, and leads them away [captive]. Job 12:23 Amp

Selah:- calmly think about that...

2017/2/6 14:57Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

The Hebrew for "great" in Job 12:23 is not moral greatness. It is size, strength or power. The word assumes moral greatness only when used in reference to God, and it is in its only other OT appearance which is also in Job (where the word exalted appears in reference to God).

Thus. KJV says "he increaseth the nations...", or makes them grow. This is consistent with Psalm 75:7, Daniel 2:21 and even Acts 17:26.

There is no inherent greatness in any nation. Greatness is not goodness. Deuteronomy 4:5-7 recognizes "great nations", but Israel alone was deemed "wise and understanding" by other nations -- great ones that were not like Israel--only to the extent Israel kept and did the law. So, great nations that did not have the law would look at the great nation that had the law of God and say "they are wise and have understanding".

America is not good. Oh, it is great. But, it is not good. It is better, comparatively speaking, than a lot of other nations, and maybe all of them, but that just -- at best -- reserves a particular place in line for the last great carbon footprint, right?

Let's forget about greatness. Let's be holy, peculiar, showing forth the praises of Him who called us out of darkness and into His marvellous light. Let's find our entirety of being in the person of Jesus. This nation will melt with all the others and the whole of all of them won't be a penny weight in the measuring cup of God.

2017/2/6 15:54Profile
proudpapa

Re:

I Believe that it is Biblical to both be prayerful and thankful for rulers that will allow my family to : "lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty."

I am not going to complain and murmur about leaders that are fulfilling that Biblical desire.

1I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; 2For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. 3For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; 4Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 5For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

2017/2/6 22:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy