Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : THE GOSPEL MYSTERY OF SANCTIFICATION

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
proudpapa

THE GOSPEL MYSTERY OF SANCTIFICATION

by Walter Marshall

First published in 1692

Walter Marshall was an English Presbyterian minister – a Puritan – best known today for this excellent work on sanctification. Born in 1628, he was forced to leave his parish in the infamous Great Ejection of 1662. However, he remained faithful to the call of God, shortly finding another congregation which he pastored until his death in 1680.

read more : http://www.covenantofgrace.com/gospel_mystery_of_sanctification.htm

2017/1/26 0:03Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re: THE GOSPEL MYSTERY OF SANCTIFICATION

THE GOSPEL MYSTERY OF
SANCTIFICATION

Walter Marshall

Chapter Thirteen

Endeavour diligently to make the right use of all means appointed in the Word of God for the obtaining and practicing holiness only in this way of believing in Christ and walking in Him, according to your new state by faith.

2017/1/26 0:16Profile
proudpapa

Re:

Mike have you heard of this book or read it before ?

I heard Tim Keller reference it and looked into it, I have speed read through parts of it , reminds me much of Spurgeons Works, I hope to go through it more deeply when I have more time

2017/1/26 0:26Profile

Re: THE GOSPEL MYSTERY OF SANCTIFICATION

I read this book many years ago and enjoyed it.

There is a book called Sanctification or The Highway of Holiness: By Andrew Murray

It is An Abridgment of The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification
and easier to read.

If you do a search for it, you should be able to read it for free.

---------------------------

An Abridgment of The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification

by Walter Marshall

Introduction:

There is but one book in the language admitted by all to be the standard one on "Sanctification." It is the work of the Rev. Walter Marshall, published in 1692, "The Gospel Mystery of Sanctification." It has at all times received the highest praise from men of eminence both as theologians and as saints.

It is much to be regretted that the book is not better known among the members of our Christian churches. This may partly be accounted for by the author's style and treatment of his subject. His editors admit that his style is at times obscure, and that the book requires a more than ordinary attention to read it with profit. According to the fashion of the time, the argument is so broken down into divisions and subdivisions, that it is only by continually referring back and marking his stages carefully that the reader can keep hold of the thread. Such writing is not only wearying, but gives occasion to frequent repetition.

What appears to me, however, specially to hinder the interest and usefulness of the work is the introduction of questions, which are indeed of importance as connected with the subject, but still distract the attention of the earnest inquirer who wants a plain answer to the question, how he can be made holy? On this account I have often felt that an abridgment, in which subordinate points were only indicated in passing, and prominence given to the teaching on Sanctification which gives special value to the book, might be the means of giving it a wider circulation and influence.

In preparing such an abridgment I have adhered literally to the words of the author. I shall, at the same time, in this introductory note, and in giving, as I venture to do, new headings to the chapters, endeavour to give the reader such a complete view of the argument of the original work, that he can at once see the relation of the larger extracts to the scope of the whole. I have also made use of italics to indicate the thoughts which appear of special importance: though some readers do not require them, there are others to whom it is a real help to have the eye thus aid the mind.

The book is divided into fourteen chapters, with the title of Directions. In each of these directions a practical truth is stated, of which the exposition and application follow.

In the first chapter, which may be regarded as an introduction, the writer makes plain what his object is. It is to teach, not so much wherein the duties of a holy life consist, as what the means are by which, according to God's will, we can be enabled to live a holy life. In the second chapter these means are said to be the inclination of the heart to be holy, the assurance of God's favour, a sure hope of eternal salvation, and the confidence of sufficient strength to perform all duties acceptably. These endowments or qualifications make up that holy frame of soul without which the practical life of holiness is impossible. And the great question the book seeks to answer is, how the believer obtains this holy frame or nature.

The answer is given in the third and fourth chapters, which, along with the twelfth, are the most important part of the work, and constitute its special value. In chapter three we are taught how in Jesus Christ a new nature was prepared for the believer; how the needed endowments for living holly, the heart's inclination, and the sufficient strength to serve God acceptably are provided for us in that new nature, and how this is communicated to us through our living union with Christ, Chapter four treats of faith as the means by which this union is effected, and by the continual exercise of which also, when once it is effected, the ability to live holly must from day to day be received.

It is the truth which these two chapters teach to which believers need to have their attention specially directed. Marshall points out very clearly how, just as justification is alone by the faith of a righteousness prepared in Christ for us, so sanctification, as the imparting and strengthening of a holy nature, is just as much by faith alone in the holiness which has been prepared for us.

The doctrine of our union with Christ, or, as it is called, the Mystical Union, is one that is to be found in every orthodox system of theology. It is there, however, too often treated as one of those mysteries of the faith which the ordinary believer can scarce be expected to understand, and the knowledge of which is not essential to the Christian life. The beauty of Marshall's book is that he makes it the starting-point in the Christian course. He points out how by faith the sinner receives Christ and His salvation; how justification and sanctification are both given in Christ, and received only through the faith that unites with Him. He shows how, without some knowledge of this union, it is also truly impossible that there can be that progress in holiness which God expects of us. He makes it the first duty of the young believer, and the highest privilege of the most advanced saint, to hold fast his union with Christ, because only in so doing can he fully "live the life of faith." It is surely because this truth of holiness in union with Christ by faith has so little, in the Church's teaching, received that prominent place which it has in God's scheme that the standard and the power of holiness are so low among us.

Young converts need specially such teaching to enable them, in the joy and freshness of their first faith, at once to reach out and receive Jesus in His keeping and sanctifying power. But as a rule they are left to experience what bitter failure is the result of the ordinary view of sanctification, according to which it is our work, to be done with the aid of the Holy Spirit. And it is often only after years of Sin and self-reproach that they learn that there is a better way; that holiness is by faith, just as righteousness is, and that because Jesus Christ Himself gives and is our sanctification, just as He is our justification, our one care must be, in unceasing and ever-increasing faith, to receive from Jesus the holiness there is in Him for us. What a new direction would be given to the spiritual strugglings of thousands if they could but receive the teaching which Marshall seeks so earnestly to inculcate! In our union to Jesus, realized by faith from day to day, and in each duty we perform, is the only but the sufficient strength for a Holy Life.

In Chapters Five to Eleven there follows what may be considered a long parenthesis as to the place which the pursuit of holiness must take in the Christian life. No true holiness can be practiced by those who are still in their natural state (Chap. 5.), by those who seek it as a condition by which to get a title to salvation (Chap.6.), or even a preparation for trusting in Christ (Chap. 7.) Holiness must come after union with Christ (Chap. 8.); we must first have the comforts of the gospel before we can perform the duties of the law (Chap. 9.), and must to that end have some measure of assurance of salvation (Chap. 10.); therefore we are all called at once to exercise faith, and to seek to continue and increase in it (Chap. 11.)

From what has been said of the contents of these chapters, it is evident that the writer counted upon a large number of readers, who, though awakened and anxious to serve God, had not yet believed in Jesus or found their peace in Him. To such the exhortations of these chapters are addressed. This is in accordance with what the title of the book had indicated as its aim, "Practical Directions to those who labor under the Guilt and Power of indwelling Sin." In our modern writings on sanctification we generally separate the two classes. Those who labor still under the guilt of sin are addressed in works on repentance, and faith, and justification; while the teaching to those who labor under the power of sin is generally given on the supposition that they have already learned the first lesson and found pardon in Christ. The latter plan has many advantages. It draws the line of demarcation clearly. It keeps the unconverted to the one point of accepting Christ as his Savior. It helps the believer to realize the difference between the one thing which is settled with him already, his acceptance of Christ, and the matter which now calls for his exercise of faith, the availing himself fully of all that is in Christ to enable him to live a holy life. On this account, for the sake of confining attention to the teaching he has for believers as to their Savior. helps the believer to realise the difference between the one thing which is settled with him already, his acceptance of Christ, and the mailer which now calls for his exercise of faith, the availing himself fully of all that is in Christ to enable him to live a holy life. On this account, for the sake of confining attention to the teaching he has for believers as to their sanctification, I have made the extracts from these chapters (5. to 9.) addressed to the anxious but short.

In the last three chapters we have the practical application of the doctrine which had been unfolded in Chapters Three and Four. In Chapter Twelve we are taught how to use our faith for a life of obedience, how "living by faith" is a principle that must be carried out in all our duty.

Footnote This chapter contains more than one passage of great importance, pointing out clearly the place that faith must occupy in our religious life, and urging to it as the only way to succeed in the path of holiness.

Chapter Thirteen treats of the means of grace God has provided to aid us in the practice of holiness, and presses the necessity of using these means only in the way of faith, and to strengthen it. And Chapter Fourteen closes the book with encouragements to walk in the way of holiness, derived from its excellence.

In recent discussions on Holiness, the work of Marshall has been appealed to by those who appeared somewhat to differ in the views they held. I cannot but express my conviction that the views set forth by him in regard to Christ our sanctification contain the truth of Holy Scripture that will bring together those who have been somewhat separated from each other in their attempts to find expression for what they feel to be the great need of the Church. If Jesus Christ be studied and preached as personally our sanctification, if the living union with Him, maintained from moment to moment by simple faith, and acting itself out in a holy life, be set before God's children as their privilege and their duty, He will indeed become the living center in which we all are drawn to each
other.

May I take the liberty of making a suggestion? It is that ministers, who feel how low is the standard of holiness in our churches, should sometimes use a little book like this as a text-book Let them recommend it to the believing members of their congregations. Let them, for a number of Sabbaths successively, lead them to follow, step by step in God's Word, the blessed Highway of Holiness as it is here marked out. I cannot but think that the result will be a clearer knowledge, a deeper enjoyment, a fuller exhibition to the world of the beauty of Holiness. It is this we stand in need of. There will be no argument against unbelief so convincing. There can be no pretest against worldliness so effectual There is no inspiration for work so mighty. It is the presence of the living Christ in His Church, shining out in the holy life and walk of its members, that constitutes its glory and. its power.

Of all the recommendations I have seen, none has struck me more than a letter from the poet Cowper. I give an extract: "The doctrines Marshall maintains are, under the influence of the Divine Spirit, the very life of my soul, and the soul of all my happiness; that Jesus is a present Saviour from the guilt of sin by His most precious blood, and from the power of it by His Spirit. I think him the most spiritual expositor of Scripture I ever read. In his section upon the union of the soul with Christ he has spoken of a mysterious truth with admirable perspicuity, making it all the while subservient to his main purport of proving holiness to be the fruit and effect of faith. I never met with a man who understood the plan of salvation better, or was more happy in explaining it."

Let me, in conclusion, urge any believer who longs to discover or to understand better the secret of a holy life, to take time for the study of this little book, especially its Third, Fourth, and Twelfth Chapters. He need be afraid of no new doctrine. But the doctrine acknowledged by the churches is taught with such distinctness and such point from Holy Scripture that to many a reader its teaching may appear new. Jesus Christ and the holy nature there is in Him for us is so fully set forth; faith as the means of receiving that holy nature in its Divine power and efficacy, to enable us in all things to live a holy life, is made so clear; the Father's will and expectation that we should indeed live such a life, in accordance with the sufficient provision He has made, is so brought home that the earnest reader cannot but learn to understand better how we can indeed live holy lives by abiding in Christ, our holiness. But let no one imagine that a hasty reading of the book, just to get hold of the writer's views, will do any good. Let the seeker after holiness take two or three paragraphs at a time. Let him dwell on the central thought - the holy nature prepared in Christ communicated and working in us by faith. Let him, with prayer and trust for the Holy Spirit, exercise faith in each new thought of God set before him from the Word. Let him return and read more than once or twice, until mind and heart become familiarized with the blessed truth of a sinner on earth living, and speaking, and acting daily and hourly as a saint, in the power of a holiness dwelling in heaven, because the life of Jesus is his life. I cannot but think that he will find our writer to be indeed God's messenger to guide him into God's Highway of Holiness, into a life of peace and power before unknown.

And now, may the Father of our Lord Jesus give His effectual blessing with the words of His servant as they go out in this new shape, to lead many of His children into that blessed life of holiness which is awaiting them in Christ their Savior.
Andrew Murray

2017/1/26 5:38
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"Mike have you heard of this book or read it before ?"

Brother, I have read quotes from Andrew Murray about this book, and have read various chapters in the book.

It is an excellent book that would be helpful for all those that have struggled with sin.

2017/1/26 17:03Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy