SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Work related stress as a Christian

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
davym

Work related stress as a Christian

I was just wondering if any believers are currently suffering stress in their workplace? I'm not so much thinking about persecution in the workplace although this is certainly linked.

I'm having a difficult time at the minute in an office environment with heavy workload and expectation. I know the Lord is with me and strengthening me but I feel demoralised to a degree. I wonder if anyone else can give testimony to this experience and how God worked in their lives through it?

Work is a blessing I know but when it becomes too much it can be awful.

Thanks

David

2017/1/13 18:53Profile
Sree

Re: Work related stress as a Christian

Very good question. I would love to see such practical issues being discussed here rather than plain old theological fights.

One scripture that really helped me is, Col 3-23:- Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.

I have come out of the thought of pleasing my manager in my work place. I do not even care to impress him. I am only answerable to my Lord Jesus Christ. I work to keep a clear conscience before God.

I also submit to my manager and do the work he wants me to do. But I do not look for any reward from him.

I once was moved to work under a very problematic micro manager. I was really worried how I am going to work under him as he finds fault quite easily with people. In Church a sister asked me about my work, I told her about my new manager. She told me that if God has allowed me to work under such a manager, He will also give me grace to do my job in an excellent way meeting all the expectations. I was very much encouraged and put the burden completely on the Lord. It happened that after a year of working under the manager, he gave an excellent report about me. He even recommended me for a higher post. From that time, in my company, it became a saying that if someone was tough to work with then put Sreeram in that area, he will make it easy. The truth is not me but the Lord.

My elder in India often says this, 'our colleagues should say about us that they worked with a Christian in whose work they can find no fault. A christian should be best in everything he does. '

This always challenged me to give my best for the Lord in my work place.

2017/1/13 20:26Profile
passerby

What is the source of stress, the technicalities/volume of the job or the people/managent or some personal/health issues.

2017/1/13 22:06Profile
romanchog

I experienced stress at my last job. For a time, I was very grumpy (that is putting it nicely) that I had to work at this place, and then a good friend sent me some words by Elizabeth Elliot to remind me of what I already knew: this is the place that God placed me for His purposes and I needed to be thankful that I was there.

That changed my perspective and my attitude. As Sree stated, I had to remember that I work for Christ always. I had to be the honest one, when others (including my boss) were skirting the rules, if not outrightly breaking them, I had to work diligently and excellently in all I did.

I did not get appreciation for my hard work, other than to be given more of other people's work to complete. :) Others got paid much more for doing less work and were even offered promotions even though they were mediocre, simply because of who they knew, while my good work went mostly unrewarded, and unappreciated. I was never counted as an important part of the team by my manager even though I was doing twice as much as everybody else. Knowing that this work was for Christ and knowing that He was the one that was keeping me there helped me have the right attitude (most of the time) in spite of all that.

A few months ago the Lord opened up a job somewhere else. I lost my benefits and get paid significantly less, but am very happy with what I am doing. Things get tight financially sometimes, but my children say that I am less grouchy than I used to be and that is a huge plus. I don't stress about going to work every morning, and that is also a huge plus.

I do pray that I was a good witness of Christ in all I did at my old job. That is all that matters. If I failed in any way, I have smeared His name.

This is the quote from Elizabeth Elliot that helped me. I do know what the scriptures say, but this gave me a good perspective of my situation. I put this up in my cubicle so I could see it every day. :)

"This job has been given to me to do. Therefore, it is a gift. Therefore, it is a privilege. Therefore, it is an offering I may make to God. Therefore, it is to be done gladly, if it is done for Him. Here, not somewhere else, I may learn God’s way. In this job, not in some other, God looks for faithfulness." ~ Elizabeth Elliot

__

Natalie

2017/1/13 22:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy