SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Authority

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Amen. Creeds would be written for people primarily devoid of the Holy Spirit I believe. Again, Spurgeon writes........

"I believe it and recieve it, but I will not subscribe to it, lest it should become as all creeds do become in the process of time mere dead letters and instuments of tyranny."

bro Frank

What Spurgeon was speaking of was what he would consider George Foxs position and opinion. The society of friends was more established and had a creed and he was saying that their found probably would disagree with it, the main purpose of his argument was to bring the people back to the central tenet of fox's burden which was practical godliness and living in sincerity before the Lord, not in religious hyprocisy.

Spurgeon himself held to a creed: http://dominionbaptist.org/confession/

as well as a catechism: http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/history/spurgeon.cat.txt

" I am never ashamed to avow myself a Calvinist; I do not hesitate to take the name of Baptist; but if I am asked what is my creed, I reply – ‘It is Jesus Christ’. Statements like this what he meant was that he put Jesus Christ before his denomination or theological position. His heart was greater then his segement of christianity. Though he was exclusive, and doctrinally very strict, his heart was open for others in the body of Christ to have other opinions, etc.

2017/1/17 6:55Profile

Re:

Here is Spurgeons's thoughts on being a Baptist, its the bigger picture and some will not be able to grasp it but here it is...........

“I say of the Baptist name, let it perish, but let Christ’s name last forever. I look forward with pleasure to the day when there will not be a Baptist living” (C.H. Spurgeon, The Eternal Name, Sermon, May 27th, 1855).

He looks forward to the day when there is not a single Baptist, this was also the heart of Tozer. They were, as prophets of God, bemoaning the entrapment of the Body of Christ within partisan bodies.............bro Frank

2017/1/17 11:32
proudpapa

Re:

RE : /// "Spurgeon himself held to a creed:...."
..."as well as a catechism:..."

But was that a good thing ?

Do you hold to the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith or Westminster confession of faith ?

If those where good confessions what about the Anabaptist : Schleitheim Confession ?

They contradict each other in several areas, and those whom hold to one or the other have there conscience bound by what is contained in those confessions.

for example of what I am saying :

In the Scriptures God positioned Joseph to become governor of Egypt : for the purpose of : "saving of many lives"

We see a very similar incident in the establishment of Pennsylvania as a refuge for many of the persecuted.
Gods will in it , is of course up for debate amoung those of differing opinions.

Had William Penn been an Anabaptist whom held to the Schleitheim Confession : Pennsylvania would never have become the refuge for the Quakers, Anabaptist etc. of which it became.
His ideas of Government would never have influenced the American Constitution as what it did. Because according to the Schleitheim Confession Christians are not to take part with any such things.

add: for clarity

2017/1/18 13:10Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy