Sermon Podcast | Sermons | About

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : The New Wine

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Elibeth

The New Wine

The making of wine by Jesus,...what is this saying to us? What
is the true meaning,...what is Jesus really trying to convey to us?

In Chapter 4 of Jn.,Jesus is talking to this woman about 'water'
He tells her, if she knewest the 'gift' of God, and knew Him,she would ask of Him,and He would give her 'living water'.

In the making of the wine,Jesus made the water lively,....spirited water.
To me,His great emphasis is on The Spirit that He wants us to have ,...
gift ,..Life, anointing,..that we need,..in order to live,..have The Life of God
working,...living in us.--- same as working in Him.

He wants a well of water flowing up in us,UNTO > >eternal Life

Must stop for now,...would love to hear from you---

At His feet,
-----------
elizabeth

2017/1/9 8:54Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: The New Wine

E-

I am not saying you might no be correct, but when I read the story of the wedding at Cana, it seems to me that his mother (many believe she was a a relative of the bride or groom) just asked him to solve a practical problem- namely that they had run out of wine which would have been exceedingly embarrassing to the host. At first Jesus balked, then when he saw his mother persisting by telling the servants to follow Jesus's instructions, he changed his mind.

I take comfort that Jesus is willing to help us in our every day practical concerns, if we ask Him to help. Far, far too often, He is the last person we think of when we need help in seemingly mundane problems.

2017/1/9 10:00Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Yes TMK,
He is a Wonderful Father,not only is He willing to help us,if it is for
our good,but many times,He runs ahead,and fills our needs.

Thank you TMK,
Bless you,
---------------
elizabeth

2017/1/9 10:45Profile
Sree

I have meditated on this incident a lot. The beauty is this is the first miracle that Jesus did and that too in a wedding. Shows how God honors wedding. If you see the miracle in the eyes of a marriage, so many things will make sense.

In worldly marriage, the vine drys out after the initial days. They start well as happily married couple but within few days or months or years, end up feeling dry. The sweet wine runs out!

But if Jesus is present in our married life, the wine will always be flowing. Our later days of married life should taste better than the initial days like how the divine wine made by Jesus tasted better than the initial wine. This will also astonish worldly people because they have never seen such a work.

In our married life whenever we feel dryness, we have to accept to Jesus that the wine has ran out. He will always be willing to produce his divine wine. But are we willing to take the divine wine in a jar and serve it to our spouse? In other words, are we willing to humble ourselves like a servant and ask for apology for the mistake on our part? If we are willing to serve like those servants who took the content in a Jar and served it to the master chef without even knowing (doubting) what will be the end result, then Jesus will definitely honor our faith and make it taste good. But the problem is many times we are unwilling to be like those servants because of our pride and somehow expect Jesus to solve all our marriage problems. That is why we see broken marriages in Christendom today.

2017/1/9 13:00Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Spree,
That is a beautiful analogy ....

Thank you,
I would love to share more thoughts,also welcome the input.
-----------
elizabeth

2017/1/9 19:20Profile
SherlockA

Re:

Thanks Sree, it makes a lot of sense and analogy to our daily living and life w/ the Lord. I appreciate as well the other comments from members.

2017/1/9 19:54Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
The making of wine by Jesus,...what is this saying to us? What is the true meaning,...what is Jesus really trying to convey to us?

Great questions! I believe that the text gives the answer:

John 2:11 This the first of his miraculous sings, Jesus performed at Cana of Galilee. HE THUS REVEALED HIS GLORY, and the disciples put their faith in him."

This was a key moment in God's covenant plan. Jesus disclosed His divine identity as the long-promised Messiah - and a new order had come. The ceremonial washings (what the jars of water were used for) belonged to the old order.

I'm not convinced about drawing any moral principle regarding wedding traditions. Jesus went into a lot of different settings in his cultural surroundings.

2017/1/9 21:16Profile
Elibeth

Re:

Thank you Sherlock, Diane too,
I appreciate your commenting.

My thoughts continue,...please bare with me.

Numbers in The Word of God,have a specific meaning,..I believe.
Just to name a few--
*God told Moses to take the children of Israel 3 days journey OUT of Egypt.
And we know 'Egypt'is representative of sin,...
( I believe the # 3 here,represents, a death)
*Jesus was left back in Jerusalem,a 3 days journey from His Mother/family.
(and Jesus told her,'Didn't she know that He was about His Father's
business ?'(He was not about what He wanted to do as an earthly thing)

-and again at the marriage feast ....
The third day,..

-and the 6 water pots...
6, the number of man..

"stone"water pots,...?
Does the stone represent our hard and unwilling heart ?
...that The Spirit of God has come in,to change us from our will to His will,..
Leading us by His Spirit ?

I believe Jesus' every 'way', was to preach, / teach, / lead, / draw us into
Being born again of The Spirit of God,..and to be conformed to the image
of God.

Seeking to know Him,
--------------
elizabeth

2017/1/9 22:29Profile
Lysa

East TN (for the time being)

The Significance of the First Miracle

1. The turning of water into blood was the first of the public miracles that Moses did in Egypt (Exodus 7:20), and the water into wine was the first of the public miracles that Jesus did in the world (John 2:11).

2. The signs that God gave to Egypt in the Old Testament were plagues, destruction, and death, and the signs that Jesus did in the world in the New Testament were healings, blessings, and life.

3. The turning of water to blood initiated Moses (a type of the Savior— Deuteronomy 18:15) leading his people out of the bondage of Egypt into an earthly liberty; the turning of water into wine initiated Jesus taking His people out of the bondage of the corruption of the world into the glorious liberty of the children of God (Romans 8:21).

4. The turning of water to blood culminated in the firstborn in Egypt being delivered to death, while turning the water into wine culminated in the life of the Firstborn being delivered from death (Colossians 1:18).

5. The Law was a ministration of death, the gospel a ministration of life. One was written on cold tablets of stone, the other on the warm fleshly tablets of the heart. One was a ministration of sin unto condemnation and bondage, the other a ministration of righteousness unto life and liberty (2 Corinthians 3:7–9).

6. When Moses changed the water into blood, we are told that all the fish in the river died. When Jesus initiated the new covenant, the catch of the fish are made alive in the net of the kingdom of God (Matthew 4:19).

7. The river of blood was symbolic of death for Egypt, but the water into wine is symbolic of life for the world. The letter of the Law kills, but the Spirit makes alive (2 Corinthians 3:6).

8. When Moses turned the waters of Egypt into blood, the river reeked and made the Egyptians search for another source of water supply (Exodus 7:21,24). When the Law of Moses does its work in the sinner, it makes life odious for him. The weight of sin on his back becomes unbearable as he begins to labor and be heavy laden under its weight. Like the Egyptians, he begins to search for another spring of water; he begins to "thirst for righteousness," because he knows that without a right standing with God, he will perish.

9. Moses turned water into blood, and Jesus’ blood turned into water (1 John 5:6). They both poured from His side (John 19:34), perhaps signifying that both Law and grace found harmony in the Savior’s death—"Mercy and truth are met together; righteousness and peace have kissed each other" (Psalm 85:10).

10. The water of the old covenant ran out. It could do nothing but leave the sinner with a thirst for righteousness. But as with the wine at Cana, God saved the best until last. The new wine given on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:13; Ephesians 5:18) was the Bridegroom giving us the new and "better" covenant (Hebrews 8:5,6)

~~ Taken from "The Way of the Master" ~~
https://www.livingwaters.com/witnessingtool/significanceofthefirstmiracle.shtml

2017/1/10 7:04Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

E wrote: ""stone"water pots,...?
Does the stone represent our hard and unwilling heart ?
...that The Spirit of God has come in,to change us from our will to His will,..Leading us by His Spirit?"

I think we can always look back with hindsight and add spiritual meanings to things that perhaps in truth had no spiritual significance at the time. I personally don't think the fact that the water pots were made of stone or clay had any siginificance at the time- mainly because I don't know what else they could have been made of.

I also agree with Diane regarding the wedding analogy; it is a nice thought but I don't believe that was the underlying significance of the miracle.

2017/1/10 7:24Profile

©2002-2016 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy