SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Sermons | Live

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : D Bonhoeffer Grace and Cheap Grace.

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
EAGLEFLYING

D Bonhoeffer Grace and Cheap Grace.

Bonhoeffer makes between "cheap" and "costly" grace. According to Bonhoeffer,
"cheap grace is the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline. Communion without confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ."
Cheap grace, Bonhoeffer says, is to hear the gospel preached as follows: "Of course you have sinned, but now everything is forgiven, so you can stay as you are and enjoy the consolations of forgiveness." The main defect of such a proclamation is that it contains no demand for discipleship. In contrast to cheap grace,
"costly grace confronts us as a gracious call to follow Jesus, it comes as a word of forgiveness to the broken spirit and the contrite heart. It is costly because it compels a man to submit to the yoke of Christ and follow him; it is grace because Jesus says: 'My yoke is easy and my burden is light.'

2017/1/2 19:01Profile
docs

Re: D Bonhoeffer Grace and Cheap Grace.

Coming from his book, "The Cost of Discipleship," this chapter that your passage comes from is one of the more famous set of comments that Bonhoeffer wrote. It's pretty famous and has been read and considered by many. Decades or even centuries of this type of cheap grace and society wide institutional anti-semitism helped pave the way for the Nazis in Germany. It is well worth reading and digesting.

2017/1/3 5:17Profile
savannah

Re: hating a brother

Cheap grace results in tolerance of sin and those who practice it. But, when one has a Godly grace and a Godly love he does otherwise.

"You shall not hate your brother in your heart: you shall in any wise rebuke your neighbor, and not suffer sin on him." Leviticus 19:17

Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him. 1 John 3:15

If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, cannot love God whom he hath not seen. 1 John 4:20

But...

We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not abideth in death.
1 John 3 :14

2017/1/3 9:38Profile
EAGLEFLYING

Re:

AMEN.. well worth the read indeed.

2017/1/3 16:46Profile
EAGLEFLYING

Re:

Hating a brother is a strong interpretation of Bonhoeffers thoughts on grace.
I do not believe this is what He is stating.
If we love our brother we will confront the sin in their life.
Luke 17:3
Watch yourselves. If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.
I believe the Grace that our dear departed brother is speaking about here is making people accountable for their sins. There is not HATE here only love, not from what I see...
Greasy grace or the grace of the world will tell you what you want to hear make you comfortable in your sin.
'Costly grace is the sanctuary of GOD;IT HAS TO BE PROTECTED FROM THE WORLD AND NOT THROWN TO DOGS."
It is therefore the living word, the WORD of GOD, which he speaks as it pleases him. Costly grace confronts us as a gracious call to follow JESUS, it comes as a word of forgiveness to the broken spirit and the contrite heart. Grace is costly because it compels a man to submit to the yoke of Christ and follow him; it is grace because Jesus says "My yoke is easy and my burden is light."
DB Pg 45. Cost of Discipleship.

If we on this trodden land do not make each other accountable then are we any different than the world.
The Lord has called us all to be separate not to hate our brother.. to love but hate the sin and try to help toward repentance.
In Christ
Frannie

2017/1/3 19:34Profile

©2002-2016 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy