SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Sermons | Live

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : Will there be another occurance of Elijah?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Will there be another occurance of Elijah?

Will there be another occurrence of Elijah?

Mat 17: 10 And His disciples asked Him, saying, “Why then do the scribes say that Elijah must come first?”
11 Jesus answered and said to them, “Indeed, Elijah is coming first and will restore all things. 12 But I say to you that Elijah has come already, and they did not know him but did to him whatever they wished. Likewise the Son of Man is also about to suffer at their hands.” 13 Then the disciples understood that He spoke to them of John the Baptist.

We know about the ministry of Elijah and Elisha in the Old Testament.

John the Baptist stood up and announced Christ’s first ministry on earth. It was a call to a baptism of repentance.

The parable of the foolish virgins depicts the church right before his second coming.

In Matthew 25: 6 we read “And at midnight a cry was heard: ‘Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!’

This voice must come from somewhere and I believe it is a human voice of those who announce Christ’s 2nd return. In Revelation it talks about 2 witnesses who prophesy in sackcloth and ashes.

The prophet Joel gives many references of the days preceding the return of the Lord: Mat 25:5 “But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept.

Joel 2:15 Blow the trumpet in Zion;
sanctify a fast;
call a solemn assembly;
16 gather the people.
Sanctify the congregation;
assemble the aged;
gather the children,
even infants at the breast.
Let the bridegroom leave his room,
and the bride her canopy.
17 Between the vestibule and the altar
let the priests, the ministers of the Lord, weep.
Let them say, “Spare your people, O Lord,
and do not make your heritage a mockery,
a byword among the nations.
Why should it be said among the peoples,
‘Where is their God?’”

I wonder if we are approaching these days where the Lord is calling His people to repentance again before he returns? Will we see a great outpouring of his Spirit as in the days of Pentecost as some bible passages suggest by referring to the “Latter Rain”? I am aware that the “Latter Rain” movement was subject to much controversy, nevertheless it is in the bible.

James 5:7 Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, waiting patiently for it until it receives the early and latter rain.

Joel 2:23 Be glad then, you children of Zion, And rejoice in the Lord your God; For He has given you the former rain faithfully, And He will cause the rain to come down for you— The former rain, And the latter rain in the first month.

Zechariah 10:1 Ask the Lord for rain In the time of the latter rain. The Lord will make flashing clouds; He will give them showers of rain, Grass in the field for everyone.

There are other passages that suggest a great falling away and a deep sleep for most part of the church:

Luke 18:8 I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?”

Luke 21:34 “But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. 35 For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. 36 Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy[c] to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

I wonder if not both scenarios will come true. A large part of the church that is asleep and will be unprepared for the Lord’s return and a much smaller company of disciples actually experiences a great outpouring of the Spirit in the midst of persecution. They will meet according to the pattern of the early church and show all of their features like fervent prayer, unity, apostolic teaching, gifts, ministry among the poor, fear of the Lord and comfort of the Holy Spirit.
They will be a holy people that outsiders do not dare to join lest their sins be exposed. This apostolic company will try to wake up the sleeping church and will face much ridicule and betrayal. They will proclaim the gospel all over the world. Perhaps they will bear many characteristics of Elijah who had a powerful ministry among his apostate people.

Are we living in these days?

2016/12/25 18:20Profile
staff

Re: Will there be another occurance of Elijah?

Hi Narrowpath,
The short answer is definitely yes.
The long answer is something i have talked about extensively on the forum.
A medium answer would be this.
We know that the bible uses types and shadows like the temple etc
If you then look at the Elijah and 3 1/2 years it is clear that the 3 1/2 years mentioned in Revelation can only be related to Elijah.
A more important question is why is something so clear not understood.The answer partly is due to our staunch endtimes views number 1 and number 2 sometimes like the latter day rain sometimes the wrong people may believe some of the right stuff.We have a tendency to throw out the baby with the bathwater,
yours Staff

2016/12/25 21:08Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Will there be another occurance of Elijah?

Quote:
I wonder if not both scenarios will come true. A large part of the church that is asleep and will be unprepared for the Lord’s return and a much smaller company of disciples actually experiences a great outpouring of the Spirit in the midst of persecution. They will meet according to the pattern of the early church and show all of their features like fervent prayer, unity, apostolic teaching, gifts, ministry among the poor, fear of the Lord and comfort of the Holy Spirit.
They will be a holy people that outsiders do not dare to join lest their sins be exposed. This apostolic company will try to wake up the sleeping church and will face much ridicule and betrayal. They will proclaim the gospel all over the world. Perhaps they will bear many characteristics of Elijah who had a powerful ministry among his apostate people.

Are we living in these days?

Yes, I believe we are living in these days! The message of Elijah was "How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him...(I Kings 18:21) - let this message of repentance be proclaimed to all who profess the name of Jesus.

Also, in Malachi, we read, "Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse."
(Malachi 4:5-6)

The Lord will turn our hearts to the young generation today that is lost without Christ. The Lord will turn hearts to remember the great cloud of witnesses as represented by our spiritual fathers and we will be encouraged to cry to God for the same Spirit that they received.

In Christ,

2016/12/26 11:45Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Very interesting observation Inthelight.

Also, in Malachi, we read, "Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD: And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse."
(Malachi 4:5-6)

These are the last words of the Old Testament that were followed by 400 years of silence which was broken by the ministry of John the Baptist who was clearly identified as a type of Elijah. These words surely bear great weight as they conclude Gods speaking under the Old Covenant.

Jesus confirmed it in Mat 17:11 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Elias truly shall first come, and restore all things. 12 But I say unto you, That Elias is come already, and they knew him not, but have done unto him whatsoever they listed. Likewise shall also the Son of man suffer of them.

He also indicated there somehow (my take) that there is yet another occurrence of Elijiah to be expected.

The only 2 people in the OT that did not taste death but were raptured alive were Enoch and Elijah. So there are interesting times ahead and we may see these events unfold before our eyes. Hopefully we will be participants and not just distant observers.

I do not have revelation on how this will all pan out, but I am confident that the Lord will reveal it in due course.

[The Lord will turn our hearts to the young generation today that is lost without Christ. The Lord will turn hearts to remember the great cloud of witnesses as represented by our spiritual fathers and we will be encouraged to cry to God for the same Spirit that they received.]

I think this a a marker of repentance and true revival. The young generation will appreciate God's working in past generations, and the older generation will act as spiritual fathers to guide and safeguard the younger generation.

2016/12/26 16:57Profile

©2002-2016 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy