SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Reconciling the flight to Egypt

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Reconciling the flight to Egypt

Does anyone have a handy dandy way to reconcile the flght to Egypt account in Matthew with Luke's account of them going to the temple for circumcision etc then returning to Nazareth?

I am sure it can be done I am just not sure how.

2016/12/17 16:57Profile

Re: Reconciling the flight to Egypt

Mathew 2 :7-11

7 Then Herod summoned the wise men secretly and ascertained from them what time the star had appeared. 8 And he sent them to Bethlehem, saying, “Go and search diligently for the child, and when you have found him, bring me word, that I too may come and worship him.” 9 After listening to the king, they went on their way. And behold, the star that they had seen when it rose went before them until it came to rest over the place where the child was. 10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. 11 And going into the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him....

Luke 2: 39
And when they had performed everything according to the Law of the Lord, they returned into Galilee, to their own town of Nazareth.

Mathew 2: 13-15
13 Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, “Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him.” 14 And he rose and took the child and his mother by night and departed to Egypt 15 and remained there until the death of Herod. This was to fulfill what the Lord had spoken by the prophet, “Out of Egypt I called my son.”

2016/12/17 19:40
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I appreciate the verses Frank but that does not answer my question.

The Luke account says they went to the temple from Bethlehem so Jesus could be circumcised. It says when this was done they returned to Nazareth.

But Joseph was warned in a dream to flee Bethlehem because Herod was going to seek Jesus to kill him- and in fact Herod did send soldiers to Bethlehem to carry out this heinous attempt.

Jesus may have been around two when the magi found him but when he was two he was living in Nazareth not Bethlehem.

2016/12/17 23:31Profile
docs

Re: From a website addressing the issue

After Christ was born in Bethlehem, Joseph and Mary went to Jerusalem to present the new born infant in the temple. From there, they went back to their home in Nazareth. A short time later, the family decided to return to Joseph's ancestral homeland and Jesus' birthplace, namely Bethlehem in Judea. This is where Matthew picks up. When the Magi found the child Jesus, he was already up to two years old. Being told in a dream about Herod's desire to kill the child, Joseph left his home and took his familly to Egypt until the death of Herod. Fearing that Herod's son Archelaus would search them out if they returned to Bethlehem, the family once again returned to Nazareth and settled there.

It's not a "either-or" situation but a "both-and" set of events. The seemingly contradictory narratives can be reconciled.

2016/12/18 9:18Profile
dolfan

Alabama

Re:

Docs has one possible reading.

Another is that when they left Jerusalem after His circumcision, they went to Nazareth right away, and that when Herod told the magi to go to Bethlehem they headed out but that the angel of the Lord, telling them to go where the child was, redirected them to Nazareth. Maybe Jesus wasn't in Bethelehem by the time they visited Him. The text is not clear that they were in Bethlehem then.

Now, admittedly, the text in Matthew suggests, maybe, they had left for Egypt from Bethlehem. Maybe so. Maybe docs has the right explanation. And maybe Luke, not concerning himself with all of the ways Jesus' birth fulfilled prophecy, glossed over every move they made. Maybe Luke did not realize the significance of it. I don't know.

I do know it doesn't harm inerrancy. Matthew did not cover how Mary was in Nazareth when Jesus was conceived. He didn't cover other details that Luke did.

2016/12/18 10:49Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Just to make it clear I am not suggesting any contradiction, just looking for a way to reconcile.

Docs version makes sense but I think you have to read into the text that they moved from Nazareth back to Bethlehem, but that does not mean it is not correct. Obviously I think they had to be in Bethlehem when Herod sent the soldiers.

Tim I think you are right that Matthew was more concerned with showing fulfilled prophecy than Luke probably was.

2016/12/18 11:41Profile

Re:

I think a Harmony of the gospel accounts of Jesus birth will reconcile the flight to Egypt question.

-bro blaine-

2016/12/18 14:14
docs

Re: I've found out

I've found out reading around the fli8ght to Egypt etc. is an issue that some scofferes and Muslims apologists use to try and show that the Bible contains obvious contradictions.

2016/12/18 18:48Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I saw the same thing. I have never really considered it a problem at all, it's just that some details are left out.

Very little is said about Jesus as a child, yet we know he had a childhood.

2016/12/18 19:20Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy