SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Believe means what, exactly?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
aeryck

United Kingdom

Believe means what, exactly?

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: [John 1:12]

Hi there y'all at Sermon Index ! I have been reading the Gospel according to John for about 1 year now. You have gathered it is my favourite read. Now apart from the obvious Greek translation of the word, 'Believe' I am interested in learning how others interpret the exact meaning of that word in the context of this verse.

Clearly the receiving aspect relates to those from among the people who were around while Jesus was on earth, and the term 'believe' relates to those who would believe after his ascension.

We are often called, 'believers' but in this context what do you understand the word 'believe' means?

In Jesus,
Eric
:-o

2005/6/8 11:33Profile

Re: Believe means what, exactly?

To me it means "loving trust, with complete confidence & trust in God".

God bless,

Stever

2005/6/8 11:43
roadsign

Re: I hope this is not too helpful

I believe that embarking on your own quest would bring you the biggest reward (ex a word study, studying Biblical characters, .. whatever. )
I found that my own search registered in my mind better than receiving the truths second hand. That's how I dicovered that belief/faith is linked to obedience.

I will share the results of my own quest - though I'm sure that God can lead you to something that really speaks to you.
"The Obedience that Comes by Faith"
http://www.thewayback.net/articles/obedience.htm

2005/6/8 11:51Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: Believe means what, exactly

Yo, Stever and Roadsign: Thankyou for your responses so far. I spent a little time loading up Reidhead's - Cost of Discipleship, and after 10 shekels and a shirt...I was ready for a lot more of Reidhead's preaching...The opening part of 12, dealt with this subject of believing ~ the first command certainly does cover what sort of quality belief God expects of us. The complete submission of the will, the mind, the emotions and the character. The exact opposite to a life married to one's own interests and merely paying lip service to the statement, I believe.

In Jesus,
.A.
:-?
Roadsign, I am definitely have a read through you whole site, thanks!

2005/6/9 8:20Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Quote:
Clearly the receiving aspect relates to those from among the people who were around while Jesus was on earth, and the term 'believe' relates to those who would believe after his ascension.

Not to get too technical but the root idea of 'receiving Christ' is not only referring to those alive during His earthly ministry. Col. 2:6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him: This word actually means to receive to yourself, or take. The Colossian believers had 'taken Jesus Christ the Lord' and could now 'walk in Him'. We can't begin the walk until we have 'received Christ'. However 'receiving Christ' in the Bible doesn't mean what the modern church uses it to mean, viz responding to a preacher and praying a sinner's prayer.

If you have the time to read it this article may be a help.

Believing and the noun faith is a main theme of the Bible. The first time the word is used is of Abraham's faith in Gen 15:6 where it says 'Abraham believed in the Lord'. If you think on that passage you will discover many of the key truths of faith. Abraham is the Bible most persistent example of faith, so if you consider his life and walk you will see what the Bible means by faith.

2005/6/9 10:56Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

Re: Believe means what, exactly

Hi philologos

Ofcourse, how stupid of me, the passage in Colossians is classic !

Thanks for the pdf by Ron Bailey on Receiving Christ. This will be a most pleasurable read.

This subject of love and faith... love is always the greatest of all. To love Jesus fully, is to believe correctly. When those first disciples followed Jesus, they left everything followed him.

In Jesus
:-D

I enjoy Graham Kendrick...'Truimph in the Air'

2005/6/9 18:03Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

The word believe is central to the message of the Gospel of John. Specifically John 20:30,31.
So the meaning of it needs to really be clearly defined. I am going to have look at it's meaning in context of the first command of God.
In Jesus,
:-P

2005/6/13 12:07Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

to 'believe' is to respond to God's revelation with affirmation. Believing starts with God; faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God. There can be no 'faith' without God's personal utterance. We live by every word 'that is proceeding out of the mouth of God'. Our words are voiced by our breath; God word is voiced by His breath (Spirit). When there is no breath there is no voice and no possibility of hearing.

God has His different ways of 'speaking' but we can only respond when He has done so.

This is how Christ expresses the process of faith...“He that hath received his witness hath set his seal to this, that God is true. For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for he giveth not the Spirit by measure. The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand. He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life; but he that obeyeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him.” (John 3:33-36, ASV) I have opted for the ASV to emphasise the 'witness'. Putting our seal to a thing is the ancient world's equivalent of 'signing it'. We agree with what has been written and we put our authentication sign on it. There is a powerful Bible thread on this whole matter of 'sealing'. The king's seal carried all the king's authority and was backed up by all his resources. Our 'receiving of His witness' has to be 'sealed' personally by us. We have read the document and we put our whole life behind it by adding our seal.

In the metaphor here, God has spoken in the person of Christ, and to believe it to put my whole confidence and backing to that statement. It is an 'amen' that gathers up all my being.

There is another aspect of truth revealed earlier in John (and John is one of the best places to go to understand 'believing). “Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, during the feast, many [u]believed[/u] on his name, beholding his signs which he did. But Jesus did not [u]trust[/u] himself unto them, for that he knew all men, and because he needed not that any one should bear witness concerning man; for he himself knew what was in man.” (John 2:23-25, ASV) Again I have gone with the ASV because of the continuing link with 'witness' and because it brings out a different aspect of the truth found in the KJV.

The words underlined above are the same word in the original. It is the Greek word 'pisteuo' which is translated by two different English words. This is instructive. They put their 'faith' in Him because of the miracles but He did not put His 'faith' in them because He knew what was in man. There is a 'faith' in Christ which is founded on His miracles. It can be a step in the right direction but it is not what He is looking for. He cannot build or trust that kind of faith. The purpose of John's gospel is “But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.” (John 20:31, KJV) This is not faith in what He can do, but faith in who He is. Upon this faith He can build...“And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” (Matt. 16:16-18, KJV)This is Peter's faith, not in what He can do, but in who He is.

Faith, ultimately, must be in the person. “And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.” (Gen. 15:6, KJV) Of course, Abraham believed what God said, but he believed it because God said it.

2005/6/13 13:42Profile
aeryck

United Kingdom

8-)
Thanks, philologos

I believe that the proper understanding of what it means 'to believe' is contained in the first commandment.

ALL....

And the Lord's Prayer. Thy will, not my will.

THY WILL...

BELIEVE ON~[ALL...SUBMITTED TO] THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. [THY WILL]

Paris Reidhead, really makes this point so clear in 'The Cost of Discipleship' ~ Part II

Paul boldly claims that his own wisdom was abandoned infavour of Christ and Him Crucified, his own wisdom he regarded as dung.

All through the Gospels, Jesus always requested a complete surrender. From his very first word, 'Repent!'

Believe means what, exactly?

I feel a song coming on: "All to Jesus I surrender, all to Him I freely give...."

In Jesus,
.A.
:-P

2005/6/13 14:49Profile
Delboy

Worthing UK

Re: believe and believing

Hi A
my small contribution is,that there is a continuation with believing and going or carrying on in belief.I have seen many take the scripture you cite in isolation and make a mental decision about following Christ to then fllounder when hard times come.
Its been said before,Even the devil believes in Christ, so we must be talking about a much deeper experience of believing :-)

2005/6/13 15:46Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy