Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Religious Spirit or Spirit of Christ

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
rbanks

Religious Spirit or Spirit of Christ

I have not found in the scriptures where Jesus ever came across to others with an attitude of a religious spirit.

On the other hand the Pharisees and many religious leaders came across to Jesus and many others (classified as sinners) with an attitude of always being critical and fault finding displaying a religious spirit.

My understanding of a "Religious Spirit" is the flesh coming into one's attitude trying to display to others the reason they do or don't do certain things because they feel they must make it known that they are really living holy and pleasing unto God. This type of attitude always tries to make one appear holy but only the Holy Spirit can actually make one holy.

The flesh is deceiving and can arise with a self-centered attitude toward others instead of choosing to deny self in order to be lead by the Spirit of Christ in our attitude toward others.

It is so important that we ask God to help us to be more Christ Loving toward others instead of trying to display to others about how holy we are...because of what we do or don't do.

Just a few thoughts...

Blessings to everyone!

2016/12/15 13:44Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Religious Spirit or Spirit of Christ

Amen!

2016/12/15 13:47Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Brother Banks,

This word is a blessing and is appreciated:)

Saul (religious) vs Paul (Spirit) makes for a good contrast into what you're presenting. Before meeting, being confronted by, Jesus he was quite certain that he was serving God and doing His will only to be utterly crippled by the revelation that he (Saul) was in fact persecuting Gods Son Jesus. After which, tho he was still somewhat confrontational and full of zeal as he had been before conversion, now we see an entirely different focus in this mans service to God. Where before he was most critical of others, now we see the fruit manifest in his ministry of mercy and of all the apostles might've been the most gentle (or so it would seem).
Also it's proper to make note of Steven and his response to the most harsh religious persecution in that he only spoke the truth in a love so bold that he was able to be a "seed" that, in many ways, birthed the ministry of Paul in that he was able to bless those who were killing him and this being witnessed by Saul must've made quite an impact so as to give space for Jesus to appeal to him in such a way so as to humble him and bring about a solid and lasting conviction-
I hope to make use of the grace that's been given me in such a way as this in facing the religious spirit we might be as harmless as doves~

2016/12/16 9:54Profile
docs

//My understanding of a "Religious Spirit" is the flesh coming into one's attitude trying to display to others the reason they do or don't do certain things because they feel they must make it known that they are really living holy and pleasing unto God. This type of attitude always tries to make one appear holy...//

This may be the best definition I have ever seen describing the religious spirit.

//but only the Holy Spirit can actually make one holy.//

Is all Christian life and activity outside of the Spirit just flesh still trying to come up with works to make one acceptable before the Lord?

//The flesh is deceiving and can arise with a self-centered attitude toward others instead of choosing to deny self in order to be lead by the Spirit of Christ in our attitude toward others.//

If the flesh is still striving to maintain works in a delusional and deceptive attempt to make itself holy then surely this flesh rises up at times and is comparative and condescending in its attitude toward others. True religion and life in Christ seeks to live for the profit of others and not itself. It seeks no reason to brag because it knows it has no grounds to do so.

2016/12/16 10:11Profile
rbanks

Re:

Thank you brethren for you input on this thread!

Wow JFW and docs...thank you for your insight that sheds even more light to the OP. I appreciate any added insights from others on this topic.

I hope to come back later and elaborate some more when I have more time. I quit posting a while back for a season. I have been going through some difficult times this past year. I have decided that I needed to decrease in view of the fact that I truly need Christ to increase in my life.

I really do hope that I will be allowed to have many days ahead to truly strive to bring the honor and glory to our Lord Jesus Christ that he only so richly deserves.

Blessings to all!

2016/12/16 12:45Profile
dohzman

Good proof text for your arguement is here

Act 15:5

2016/12/16 13:20Profile
roadsign

Re: Good proof text for your arguement is here

It's worth noting that the words "religion" and "religious" are often used as a virtue. Jonathan Edwards himself wrote of the need for more religion in society. And he wasn't suggesting something bad! If we re-define the word (a post-modern habit), making it something pejorative, we could cause confusion.

What about the word "spirit". It can mean a lot of things: breath, wind, inner being,demon etc.

In my mind I translate "religious spirit" into "self-righteousness". Is that fitting?

2016/12/16 21:30Profile
rbanks

Re:

Philippians 3:8-9
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, 9 and be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Yes...our own righteousness would be self-righteousness which Paul was disavowing in order to receive the righteousness of God through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and his atonement for us. Paul was striving to always please God through Christ's imparted righteousness instead of his own righteousness.

I used the phrase "Religious Spirit" instead of using the word self-righteousness to show that we can be self-religious from our flesh (sinful nature) apart from the Spirit of God. The flesh also loves to be religious without a true relationship of being in fellowship with God. The Bible gives many examples from Cain to the Pharisees and even the Apostle Paul before his conversion.

Most mature christians should know that one can be religious and not be born of God. I understand that religion/religious can be used in a good way.

Blessings to all!

2016/12/16 22:40Profile
docs

Re: The Religious Road

The Religious Road - a detour off the Agape Road due to a rule-keeping, legalistic focus that captures and controls. The end of the road is a prison constructed from a self-referential perspective that is the result of refusing God's righteousness and seeking to create a righteousness of our own - see Rom 10:13. (From "The Agape Road" - by Bob Mumford)

Doc: It's been my experience, I've been guilty of it more than once, that many times when I have become satisfied in my own efforts to achive holiness or gain a "better" acceptance from God that I sometimes don't even realize it but I begin to become condescending to others and either judge and condemn them in my heart or verbally do so in an open manner. It comes from being deluded (bewitched - Gal 3:1) into thinking I have achieved some sort of righteousness outside of God's righteousness and I have a need to let others know what I have done or think I have done. Thus when I become religiously oriented and minded I manifest a religious spirit that is usually hard on others. If they would just "tighten up" like I have they would be more acceptable to God and therefore resting in the finished work of Christ goes out the door. In so doing I am not experiencing true kingdom life and am barring others from entering in.

13 - Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, beause you shut off the kingdom of heaven from men; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. (Matthew 23:13)

The Pharisee and the Publican

9 And He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt:

10 “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.

11 The Pharisee stood and was praying this to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector.

12 I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ ("I've obviously tightened up as others should.")

13 But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to lift up his eyes to heaven, but was beating his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, the sinner!’

14 I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Luke 18:11-14)

A religious spirit exalts itself and has contempt for others.
The Spirit of Christ is expressed in humility.

2016/12/17 9:34Profile
rbanks

Re:

Amen docs...Enjoyed your post!

1 John 1:5-10
Living in the Light
5 This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth: 7 but if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

Blessings
rbanks

2016/12/17 17:50Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy