SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Seeking gifts or the Giver?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
beekpr

Seeking gifts or the Giver?

Although I am part of a church which makes little of spiritual gifts, I am assured the gifts are meant to be part of the church throughout its history. I believe that I have been given the gift of the discerning of spirits as well as the gift of tongues. However, for me the gift of tongues is the ability to write poetry in times when the Holy Spirit touches me - that alone is when I can write. These gifts are not mine because I have sought them - rather God gives them to me as I seek to know and to serve Him - they are to promote His agenda and to protect both myself and my fellow believers. I fear that too often we pursue gifts for the sake of the gifts themselves rather than to seek to know God intimately so that we can be in a place where He can use us in whatever way brings Him the most glory. When we take our eyes off Him and place them somewhere else, regardless of how good our focus may appear to be we are in spiritual danger.

2016/12/13 9:26Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: Seeking gifts or the Giver?

[I fear that too often we pursue gifts for the sake of the gifts themselves rather than to seek to know God intimately so that we can be in a place where He can use us in whatever way brings Him the most glory.]

I heard this many times before and it sounds very plausible.

I do not think that it is wrong to ask for specific things. If a specific request is answered by God in a specific way, does that not bring glory to God, too?

Paul urges us in 1 Cor 14:1 to
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

and in Vers to "...covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues.

These are commandments, not optional gimmicks for those who seek some charismatic adventures. Gifts are for the edification of body of Christ which belongs to himself. So is it not legitimate to desire that what furthers His course?

Paul continues in verse 37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord.

Of course we are to desire the giver more, but we are urged to desire the gifts, too. Some Christians are afraid that as soon as they desire spiritual gifts they are in danger to neglect Christ and fall into those sins described in the letter to the Corinthians.

[However, for me the gift of tongues is the ability to write poetry in times when the Holy Spirit touches me - that alone is when I can write]

That is indeed a beautiful gift, but it is not the gift of tongues.

2016/12/13 12:43Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Amen.

Spiritual gifts are to be desired,received and ministered. This is the way the Lord wants us to serve one another and to minister life to one another. The instructions in 1 Corinthians 12 are as clear as can be. It takes an unbelieving preacher or teacher to confuse the issue.

To desire these gifts and receive them is to honor the giver, the Person of the Holy Spirit and shows our dependence on Him, that we refuse to serve others with only natural abilities and talents and understanding, knowing that only the Spirit can reveal what is in the heart of another.

To receive Jesus as Son of God, Savior and Lord is to honor the One Who sent Him.
To receive the gifts the Holy Spirit gives is to honor Him!

Blessings,

2016/12/13 14:42Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy