SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Sermons | Live

Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : What happened to the prophetic gifts

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Theophila

Re: What happened to the prophetic gifts

What happened to the prophetic gifts?

Nothing, brother. They are alive and well in fellowships where the Spirit of God is allowed free reign.

Oh, the gifts are alive and well.

2016/12/14 10:33Profile
Sree

Re: There is a difference between giftings and callings

Dohzman, I am sure someone will point out these 2 instances in new covenant to explain that predicting the future is still part of New Covenant. Agabus was called Prophet, but we do not know if he was NC or OC prophet. Acts of the Apostle is like History book that lists everyone both of NT and OT. But in Epistles is there any mention of any prophesy that predicts the future? Not even one as far as I know. But the Epistles list prophesy for encouraging and edifying the Church.

2016/12/14 14:50Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

The epistles list very few examples, if any of healing, prophesy, miracles etc. because their aim is to establish doctrine and not witness the supernatural.

You cannot therefore conclude that NT prophesy no longer includes predicting the future.

1 Cor 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?

The prophetic gifts include words of knowledge that reveal hidden things, revelation that is more of a kind of bringing out mysteries from scripture, as well as forthtelling future things.

Jesus said:
John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

There are many places in Acts where future things are being forthtold. These are new testament prophets ministering to the body of Christ. The book of Acts would not been possible without NT prophecy including predicting the future.

Paul forthtold the decline of morals in the epistles

2 Timothy 3:1
This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

Jude said the same in Verse 18

2016/12/14 15:58Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

Paul forthtold the decline of morals in the epistles

I am totally fine with predicting the spiritual attacks on the Church. That is what I believe is New Covenant prophesy. Which is similar to the physical attack on Israel that Elisha predicted, the NC prophets will have a prophetic word in Church that will warn them about the spiritual attacks of Satan. Everything that is physical like blessings in the OC is now spiritual in NC. So physical prophesy is also replaced by spiritual prophesy.

What I do not believe is Physical prediction like someone will get a job etc that the TV preachers do today. For example I once saw a TV preacher prophesy that someone who is watching his show and praying for a job is going to get a job and her name is going to start with xxx etc. This to me is not at all prophesy. There is no edification of Church through such prophesy.

2016/12/14 17:35Profile
CalvaryCom

greater NYC area

Re:

Sree, we must remember that much written in the canon of New Testament Scriptures is prophetic in the foretelling sense. There were seven churches in Asia Minor in John's day, yes, but the entire book of Revelation speaks of events that have not yet happened (as do the latter chapters of Daniel, Ezekiel, Matthew 24 & 25, etc.). The apostle Paul prophesied when he said in Acts 20:29, "For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock." He didn't intuit this, but understood it by Divine revelation.

If we are genuinely filled to overflowing with the Holy Spirit and continue to walk in this manner, then we cannot help but prophesy. God will give miraculous insights to sanctified vessels that will bless His body (the church).

2016/12/14 19:32Profile
Lysa

East TN (for the time being)

Re:

Quote:
by Sree
What I do not believe is Physical prediction like someone will get a job etc that the TV preachers do today. For example I once saw a TV preacher prophesy that someone who is watching his show and praying for a job is going to get a job and her name is going to start with xxx etc. This to me is not at all prophesy. There is no edification of Church through such prophesy.

Brother, it sounds like you are opposing a portion of the gift of prophesy because of a tv personality (preacher) and not because God said it can't be done.

We, as followers of Christ, must trust God that He knows what He is doing with His gifts. God can and has given prophesy that is encouraging someone about their future. If that person is a part of the Church, then the Church has been edified.

God bless,
Lisa

2016/12/15 7:00Profile
savannah

Re: wisdom and the Holy Spirit

The Wisdom of the Holy Spirit

How wise the Holy Spirit is! He takes the soul, lays it on the
table, and dissects it in a moment; He finds out the root of the matter, He sees where the evil is, and then He applies the knife where something is required to be taken away; or puts
dressing and ointment where the sore is. He never makes a
mistake. O, how wise is the blessed Holy Spirit; from every
other comforter I turn and leave them all, for You are He who
alone gives the wisest consolation.
-Spurgeon

Revelations and vain imaginings? Charles Spurgeon,

Take care never to impute the vain imaginings of your fancy to the Holy Spirit. I have seen the Spirit of God shamefully dishonored by people --I hope they were insane -- who have said that they have had this and that revealed to them.

There has not for some years passed over my head a single week in which I have not been pestered with the 'revelations' of hypocrites or maniacs. Semi-lunatics are very fond of coming
with messages from the Lord to me, and it may save them some trouble if I tell them once for all that I will have none of their stupid messages. When my Lord and Master has any message to me he knows where I am, and he will send it to me direct, and not by madmen.

Never dream that events are revealed to you by heaven, or you may come to be like those idiots who dare impute their blatant follies to the Holy Spirit.

If you feel your tongue itch to talk nonsense, trace it to the devil, not to the Spirit of God.

Whatever is to be revealed by the Spirit to any of us is in the word of God already -- he adds nothing to the Bible, and never will. Let persons who have revelations of this, that, and the other,go to bed and wakeup in their senses. I only wish they would follow the advice, and no longer insult the Holy Spirit by laying their nonsense at his door.

2016/12/15 7:09Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re:

Hi Savannah,

though I otherwise have great regard for Spurgeon, his wholesale rejection does not hold the to test of scripture.

For sure there are many lunatics but there is the genuine, too.

If I have the choice between the best preacher and the bible, I still go for the later.

2016/12/15 8:58Profile
appolus

Re:

HI Savannah,

There is no perfect man apart from Jesus and this portion from Mr Spurgeon proves the point. It seems that Mr Spurgeon would dictate to God in how he must be spoken to, I am only surprised that God did not send a donkey to speak to Mr Spurgeon. Would he have accused the donkey of madness and of being an idiot? Undoubtedly every minister of God has had mad things said to them for any number of different motivations, yet, beware the minister of God lest he shut of his ears from the living God and dictate how he should be spoken to. The servant is always just the servant and we serve at the pleasure of the Master. None of this takes away from the sermons and the works of Mr Spurgeon, it just shows that in this area he was sadly lacking because he had thrown the baby out with the bathwater...............bro Frank

2016/12/15 9:31Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

A personal testimony...

I have had many experiences of Spirit inspired gifts, especially in my younger years, and usually, if not always, in the context of body life and ministry.

I have prayed for some in the Name of Jesus and have seen them recover. Nothing major, as in raising the dead or the healing of cancer etc, but who knows what the future holds:)

I have found that the gift of prophecy manifests powerfully through me to edify the body and usually to exalt and glorify Jesus Christ, His Name and authority and resurrection and glorification and coming again.

I will certainly not label myself a prophet however there was one specific word I remember that had a foretelling character about it. This was in a small church where the pastor and I and some brethren were praying together when the Spirit of God inspired me to pray a word over the pastor that spoke to him being like a giant tree under which others would come and sit in the shade and be restored and taught etc.(Word of knowledge and wisdom?)
Little did I know that he had already had an invitation and was planning to head up a Bible College in another city. Co-incidence? I don't think so...

I believe the Holy Spirit would pour out His gifts through us in greater measure if we made ourselves available in body ministry, lived diligently in His Word, prayed in the Spirit often and without ceasing and stepped out in faith and obedience when prompted by the Holy Spirit.

Blessings,

2016/12/15 9:34Profile

©2002-2016 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy