Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Helen Roseveare Passes at 91

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Helen Roseveare Passes at 91

“God never uses a person greatly until He has wounded him deeply.
The privilege He offers you is greater than the price you have to pay.
The privilege is greater than the price.”
—Helen Roseveare

Dr. Helen Roseveare, a famous English missionary to the Congo, has passed away at the age of 91.

Helen Roseveare was born in 1925 at Haileybury College (Hertfordshire, England), where her father taught mathematics.

Raised in a high Anglican church, Helen’s Sunday school teacher once told their class about India, and Helen resolved to herself that she would one day be a missionary.

Despite the Christian heritage of her family, and faithful attendance at church, Helen sensed a void in her life and distance from God.

She enrolled in Newnham College at Cambridge University to study medicine. There she joined the Cambridge Inter-Collegiate Christian Union (CICCU) through the invitation of a student named Dorothy. She became an active participant in the prayer meetings and Bible studies, reading the New Testament for the first time. But she later said that her understanding of Christianity was more head knowledge than heart engagement.

In the winter of 1945, the Lord seemed to meet her in a personal way during a student retreat. She gave her testimony on the final evening, and Bible teacher Graham Scroggie wrote Philippians 3:10 in her new Bible, and told her:

Tonight you’ve entered into the first part of the verse, “That I may know Him.” This is only the beginning, and there’s a long journey ahead. My prayer for you is that you will go on through the verse to know “the power of His resurrection” and also, God willing, one day perhaps, “the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death.”

She felt an increased sense of calling toward missions, and publicly declared during a missionary gathering in North England, “I’ll go anywhere God wants me to, whatever the cost.”

Afterwards, I went up into the mountains and had it out with God. “O.K. God, today I mean it. Go ahead and make me more like Jesus, whatever the cost. But please (knowing myself fairly well), when I feel I can’t stand anymore and cry out, ‘Stop!’ will you ignore my ‘stop’ and remember that today I said ‘Go ahead!’?”

from: https://blogs.thegospelcoalition.org/justintaylor/2016/12/07/a-woman-of-whom-the-world-was-not-worthy-helen-roseveare-1925-2016/

You can listen to her sermons here: https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=450

2016/12/8 12:21Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Helen Roseveare Passes at 91

My trials pale in comparison to Helen's. She is an example of the concept shared by Richard Wurmbrand, "If God wants you alive, communist torture can not kill you."

Thanks for sharing this - had no idea the lady was still alive. Her life was an inspiration.

Sandra

2016/12/10 15:40Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Greg,

Thanking you for informing us about this. I had never heard of this lady before (don't know why, as she was from my country), but what an amazing giant of a women and testimony!

2016/12/11 10:48Profile
Elibeth

Bro.Greg,
I have started listening to this ladies testimony,,....and what a blessing !
What an encouragement in the deep things of following The Lord.
UTMOST ! ...And the humility ,...No pomp ,...No theatrical,that I could see.

Verse thought:
" And all they that should live godly shall suffer persecution."

Bro. Greg,thank you,
--------------
elizabeth

2016/12/11 10:55Profile
Elibeth

Re: True Christianity

To Bump this up again,...
So needed !

The sites that Greg has so graciously listed,...to go there and hear this lady's insight and the life and love of The Lord that she lived.

More of His love,
-------------
elizabeth

2016/12/16 0:26Profile
Theophila

And I thought I suffered because I found a wet soggy towel on my clean laundry!

Dear Lord, save me from myself....

2016/12/16 4:35Profile
Elibeth

Re: "Dear Lord,save me from myself....

Theophila,
I put these words over my sink in my kitchen, some time ago:
' Many time I must call upon The Name of The Lord,to save me from myself.'

The Lord put the words into my spirit,that "I was NOT to love self at all."
That is what He expects of us,...it is a dying always / daily,..that His Life
may be lived out IN us.That is His body,which is the Church.

I pray for "His"love,
-----------------
elizabeth

2016/12/16 9:16Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy