SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : But if any man seem to be contentious...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
savannah

Re: over one third

Over one third of the posts thus far on this thread are from one poster who is insisting that christians argue over everything. I wonder if that poster might begin a thread with that as the subject.

2016/12/27 20:21Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

I do not consider headcovering a moral absolute either, but I believe a Christian can forfeit her/his salvation not merely over moral absolutes but over any violation of conscience, no matter how small an issue it may be. If the Holy Spirit convicts us on something and we violate that conviction, that is very dangerous. Take heed that you do not cause your brother to perish, for whom christ died. Now, that may or may not relate to the headcover issue, but just as a principle we need to heed. Violation of the light of the Holy Spirit and violation of the conscience are of serious consequences in the Christian walk.

2016/12/27 20:46Profile

Re:

"but I believe a Christian can forfeit her/his salvation not merely over moral absolutes but over any violation of conscience, no matter how small an issue it may be. If the Holy Spirit convicts us on something and we violate that conviction, that is very dangerous. Take heed that you do not cause your brother to perish"

Not true . Salvation is of grace and faith and nothing else. You cannot earn it or work for it. You work out what was worked within by the Spirit. You're adding works and conditions to the mix. You can only be lost by willful and unrepentant unbelief of heart which is apostasy. Has nothing to do earning it as you suggest.

2016/12/27 21:12

Re:

"I believe a Christian can forfeit her/his salvation...over any violation of conscience...this may or may not...relate to the headcovering issue..."

By saying it MAY (or may not) you left room open for this to be a reason one could lose their salvation. As in, if they are convicted over head coverings but then willingly disobey God. Thank you for saying this sister, it clears a lot of things up for me and helps me to understand why some people feel so strongly about this issue.

2016/12/27 22:08
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Hello Frank, I am afraid this will turn into another topic but to answer you, I have never suggested that salvation is earned, but the Bible equates sin and disobedience with unbelief. The Bible says when the children of Israel lusted after food, that was unbelief. When they murmured in the wilderness, that was unbelief. When they wanted to stone Moses, you guessed it. The Bible warns believers not to follow their example of unbelief...... God bless you all but my time here is due.

2016/12/27 22:12Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
All I am saying is the the CONTENTIOUS arguing over this is still going on 2000 years later. And thats not the only thing either. Christians just love to argue. They will argue over the drop of a hat, over the length of a skirt and the color of their hymnals. They argue over every jot and tittle it seems and when they are done with one thing, up pops another and on and on they drone.

Brother,

It is actually the opposite of what you are saying. Head Coverings "has been" the accepted practice up to the 20th century where liberial theologians starting to "argue" and question it and now in the 21st century the practice has been lost by many evangelicals. Now for an evangelical to simply raise the idea that it is biblical or that Church history "did" accept it we are told now that we are the one's arguing.

So historically and biblically it is opposite in what you are saying. Paul was saying the CONTENTIOUS people were those who were not accepting the practice. No commentator before the 1800's will say otherwise.

I believe it is absurd to say that one can lose their salvation for not wearing a Head Covering but the brother is right that if someone refuses to do so that can be "part" of their unbelief where they are questioning the Word of God and departing from God. Feminist liberal apostates are the one's that are championing opposition to this doctrine so for them it was part of their losing their salvation in unbelief of God's Words.

2016/12/28 7:48Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

The issue is clouded somewhat because in the earlier part of the 20th century up until the late 60s it was fashionable for ladies to wear a hat when they went out in public. For example, if you watch old "leave it beaver" or "i love Lucy" episodes mom didn't leave the house without a hat on. The same can be seen in other shows from that period.

Then hats fell out of fashion and women stopped wearing hats to churches (but not all churches- it has been my experience that many black women still wear hats to church- but I contend that is primarily a cultural and fashion thing).

My point is that in the earlier part of the 20th century, hat wearing in church by women had more to do with acceptable fashion and expectation of the day (even among non churched women in public) and very little or nothing to do with the 1st Corinthians passage.

2016/12/28 9:00Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

I consider it very odd how most folks will agree with the principle of headship until it comes to an application of a symbol that will display for all to see that this is a guiding principle in the individual. Since there is such a resistance may I suggest that there are hidden forces at work to downplay its application because of the benefits it affords those who do obey.

We are in a war, a spiritual war.

Quote by Awakened:

"I think the reason that this is so contentious is because it is regarded by many to be a command from God. And if a command from God is disobeyed then there is no other way to put it except that those who are disobeying are living in perpetual rebellion and sinning against God."

I agree.

Sandra

2016/12/28 10:58Profile

Re:

Sister Sandra, rather than suggest that dark satanic forces were able to deceive such brothers as David Wilkerson, Carter Conlon and even Corrie Ten Boom about this issue, perhaps it is possible that they have more light on this than other teachers?

I realize most here on this website have now come to the same conclusion that brother Greg holds and so it is pointless to continue as it then because pointless arguing. If I have offended anyone by my understanding of this practice I sincerely apologize and wish you all well as you continue to seek the Lord and put Him first in your lives.

2016/12/28 11:41

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy