SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Welcome & Intro : 7000 years = 7 days?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Oppressedbutnotcrushed

Wiltshire, UK

7000 years = 7 days?

Hi everyone, I'm new here - what a great ministry this is, praise the Lord! A thought to ponder, is there any link between the literal 6 days of creation + 1 day God rested and time. Let me try and explain...

Remembering 2 Peter 3 v8 "with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day" - the context being a reference to Noah's Flood and the Second Coming. Okay...

If you take the days in Genesis as literal days, the earth would be around 6000 years old give or take a few years.
About 4000 years BC, about 2000 years AD.
The first 4 days of creation - no living animal life at all.
Day 5 - birds and fish
Day 6 - animals and man
Day 7 - rest
Could the creation days 1-4 a picture of 4000 years BC with God's plan unfolding?
Could the creation days 5-6 a picture of the age of the church?
Could day 7 be a picture of the Millennial Reign of our Lord Jesus Christ?

In the New Testament, are the 'last days' referred to these last 2 days (2000 years)?

My husband and I have been doing some maths and (while no one can know "the day or the hour" - very specific - it doesn't say anything about the month or the year - more general) it looks like the end may have begun in earnest.

What do you reckon? I am interested to hear some further thoughts on this.

Every blessing brothers and sisters.

2016/11/28 13:06Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re: 7000 years = 7 days?

Heather, first, glad to have you and your husband aboard.

To your question: I don't know. Have heard that theory many times in and different ways, all around the central theme you've presented. Not being a "dispensationalist" myself, not sure I'd say it as you have, but the fact that you all are seeking Him so is to His praise.

You'll get a number of different kinds of responses in varying degrees of agreement or disagreement with that understanding. I'm not sure you'll find "an answer" here. The topic of last things tends to bring out our willingness to test one another's thoughts robustly. The age of the Earth does, too, somewhat. You've asked a very difficult question and it goes to the heart of some of us; we all have things that weigh more in our own minds about God and His plan through Christ. Keep seeking Him and praying, you'll find your answer one way, one day. :)

2016/11/28 13:29Profile
proudpapa

I recall reading one of the pre nicene writers making a simmilar connection.

2016/11/28 13:57Profile
proudpapa

Re:

The Sexta-Septamillennial Tradition

This theory basically holds that, just as God created the heavens and earth in six days and rested on the seventh, so too there shall be six thousand years of human rebellion and wickedness before the Lord establishes the thousand year Messianic Kingdom. It is an old Jewish concept derived from Psalm 90:4, and was adopted by some chiliasts to provide a reason for the elapsing time between the first advent and the yet future fulfillment of Great Tribulation events, return of Messiah and establishing of the Kingdom. All who held this theory were also chiliasts, as Augustine points out below. The concept can be seen in the following citations:

Barnabas

"Further, also, it is written concerning the Sabbath in the Decalogue which [the Lord] spoke, face to face, to Moses on Mount Sinai, 'And sanctify ye the Sabbath of the Lord with clean hands and a pure heart.' And He says in another place, 'If my sons keep the Sabbath, then will I cause my mercy to rest upon them.' The Sabbath is mentioned at the beginning of the creation [thus]: 'And God made in six days the works of His hands, and made an end on the seventh day, and rested on it, and sanctified it.' Attend, my children, to the meaning of this expression, 'He finished in six days.' This implieth that the Lord will finish all things in six thousand years, for a day is with Him a thousand years. And He Himself testifieth, saying, 'Behold, to-day will be as a thousand years.' Therefore, my children, in six days, that is, in six thousand years, all things will be finished. 'And He rested on the seventh day.' This meaneth: when His Son, coming [again], shall destroy the time of the wicked man, and judge the ungodly, and change the sun, and the moon, and the stars, then shall He truly rest on the seventh day." - Epistle of Barnabas, ch.15 (here)

Justin Martyr

"I and others, who are right-minded Christians on all points, are assured that there will be a resurrection of the dead, and a thousand years in Jerusalem, which will then be built, adorned, and enlarged, [as] the prophets Ezekiel and Isaiah and others declare. . . . For Isaiah spake thus concerning this space of a thousand years: 'For there shall be the new heaven and the new earth, and the former shall not be remembered, or come into their heart; but they shall find joy and gladness in it, which things I create. For, Behold, I make Jerusalem a rejoicing, and My people a joy; and I shall rejoice over Jerusalem, and be glad over My people. And the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, or the voice of crying. And there shall be no more there a person of immature years, or an old man who shall not fulfil his days. For the young man shall be an hundred years old; but the sinner who dies an hundred years old, he shall be accursed. And they shall build houses, and shall themselves inhabit them; and they shall plant vines, and shall themselves eat the produce of them, and drink the wine. They shall not build, and others inhabit; they shall not plant, and others eat. For according to the days of the tree of life shall be the days of my people; the works of their toil shall abound. Mine elect shall not toil fruitlessly, or beget children to be cursed; for they shall be a seed righteous and blessed by the Lord, and their offspring with them. And it shall come to pass, that before they call I will hear; while they are still speaking, I shall say, What is it? Then shall the wolves and the lambs feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the ox; but the serpent [shall eat] earth as bread. They shall not hurt or maltreat each other on the holy mountain, saith the Lord.' Now we have understood that the expression used among these words, 'According to the days of the tree [of life] shall be the days of my people; the works of their toil shall abound' obscurely predicts a thousand years. For as Adam was told that in the day he ate of the tree he would die, we know that he did not complete a thousand years. We have perceived, moreover, that the expression, 'The day of the Lord is as a thousand years,' is connected with this subject. And further, there was a certain man with us, whose name was John, one of the apostles of Christ, who prophesied, by a revelation that was made to him, that those who believed in our Christ would dwell a thousand years in Jerusalem; and that thereafter the general, and, in short, the eternal resurrection and judgment of all men would likewise take place. Just as our Lord also said, 'They shall neither marry nor be given in marriage, but shall be equal to the angels, the children of the God of the resurrection.'" - Justin Martyr, Dialogue with Trypho, ch.80-81 (here and here)

Irenaeus

"For in as many days as this world was made, in so many thousand years shall it be concluded. And for this reason the Scripture says: 'Thus the heaven and the earth were finished, and all their adornment. And God brought to a conclusion upon the sixth day the works that He had made; and God rested upon the seventh day from all His works.' This is an account of the things formerly created, as also it is a prophecy of what is to come. For the day of the Lord is as a thousand years; and in six days created things were completed: it is evident, therefore, that they will come to an end at the sixth thousand year." - Irenaeus, Against Heresies, Book 5, ch.28 (here)

"But when this Antichrist shall have devastated all things in this world, he will reign for three years and six months, and sit in the temple at Jerusalem; and then the Lord will come from heaven in the clouds, in the glory of the Father, sending this man and those who follow him into the lake of fire; but bringing in for the righteous the times of the kingdom, that is, the rest, the hallowed seventh day; and restoring to Abraham the promised inheritance, in which kingdom the Lord declared, that 'many coming from the east and from the west should sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.'" - Irenaeus, Against Heresies, Book 5, ch.30 (here)

Hippolytus

"But that we may not leave our subject at this point undemonstrated, we are obliged to discuss the matter of the times, of which a man should not speak hastily, because they are a light to him. For as the times are noted from the foundation of the world, and reckoned from Adam, they set clearly before us the matter with which our inquiry deals. For the first appearance of our Lord in the flesh took place in Bethlehem, under Augustus, in the year 5500; and He suffered in the thirty-third year. And 6,000 years must needs be accomplished, in order that the Sabbath may come, the rest, the holy day 'on which God rested from all His works.' For the Sabbath is the type and emblem of the future kingdom of the saints, when they 'shall reign with Christ,' when He comes from heaven, as John says in his Apocalypse: 'for a day with the Lord is as a thousand years.' Since, then, in six days God made all things, it follows that 6,000 years must be fulfilled. And they are not yet fulfilled, as John says: 'five are fallen; one is,' that is, the sixth; 'the other is not yet come.'" - Hippolytus, The interpretation by Hippolytus of Rome, of the visions of Daniel and Nebuchadnezzar, taken in conjunction, sec.4 (here)

Augustine

"The evangelist John has spoken of these two resurrections in the book which is called the Apocalypse, but in such a way that some Christians do not understand the first of the two, and so construe the passage into ridiculous fancies. For the Apostle John says in the foresaid book, 'And I saw an angel come down from heaven. . . . Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power; but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years.' Those who, on the strength of this passage, have suspected that the first resurrection is future and bodily, have been moved, among other things, specially by the number of a thousand years, as if it were a fit thing that the saints should thus enjoy a kind of Sabbath-rest during that period, a holy leisure after the labors of the six thousand years since man was created, and was on account of his great sin dismissed from the blessedness of paradise into the woes of this mortal life, so that thus, as it is written, 'One day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day,' there should follow on the completion of six thousand years, as of six days, a kind of seventh-day Sabbath in the succeeding thousand years; and that it is for this purpose the saints rise, viz., to celebrate this Sabbath. And this opinion would not be objectionable, if it were believed that the joys of the saints in that Sabbath shall be spiritual, and consequent on the presence of God; for I myself, too, once held this opinion. But, as they assert that those who then rise again shall enjoy the leisure of immoderate carnal banquets, furnished with an amount of meat and drink such as not only to shock the feeling of the temperate, but even to surpass the measure of credulity itself, such assertions can be believed only by the carnal. They who do believe them are called by the spiritual Chiliasts, which we may literally reproduce by the name Millenarians." - Augustine, City of God, Book 20, ch.7 (here)

An aside: Some have suggested the citation of Hippolytus above to suggest he was a "date-setter." But Hippolytus was only giving a possible explanation for the ongoing span between that which has been fulfilled and that which remains yet future, as can be seen by the fact he also preached imminency to those in his day, such as in the following example:

"These things, then, I have set shortly before thee, O Theophilus, drawing them from Scripture itself, in order that, maintaining in faith what is written, and anticipating the things that are to be, thou mayest keep thyself void of offence both toward God and toward men, 'looking for that blessed hope and appearing of our God and Saviour,' when, having raised the saints among us, He will rejoice with them, glorifying the Father. To Him be the glory unto the endless ages of the ages. Amen." - Hippolytus, Treatise on Christ and Antichrist,...

http://www.dispensationalfriends.org/articles/septamill.html

2016/11/28 14:08Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Hi Heather- welcome. If I may ask, why do you want to know so badly that you are working out the math?

My initial thoughts when people are trying to nail down a time is that they want to know when to start getting ready, spiritually. The only problem with this is that we are always supposed to be ready.

In my opinion the 1000 years being as a day to the Lord is not meant to be a mathematic postulate. It is simply a figure of speech meaning that the passage of time has little consequence for God. It matters much more to us finite folks.

2016/11/28 14:09Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
six days created things were completed: it is evident, therefore, that they will come to an end at the sixth thousand year."

Brethren,

As a new believer the Lord by the Holy spirit I believe showed me also that 6 days = 6000 years. It seemed very clear to me. Of course we do not know the exact day we are in right now but it surely it close to the coming of our Lord! Praise the Lord!

It is wonderful to read the similar testimony of early Elders of local churches just after the apostles also.

2016/11/28 14:26Profile

Welcome dear Sister. So glad you are here.
Interesting thoughts, too great for my understanding.
The Lord bless you.

2016/11/28 14:47
Arnie23

Canada

check out UndeniableBiblicalProof.com very interesting Makes so much sense Israel became a nation again in 1948. Every one knows the fig tree represents Israel. This generation shall not pass until all these things take place.

2016/11/28 19:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Arnie- what verses are referencing regarding Israel being the fig tree? And the generation not passing?

2016/11/28 20:25Profile
Oppressedbutnotcrushed

Wiltshire, UK

Thanks everyone, the variety of answers is refreshing, encouraging and helpful. So nice to be able to chat to people who are thinking about the same sort of things! We had heard about the fig tree and Israel returning - the 70th anniversary of that will be in 2018. We will continue watching and waiting, hopefully wide awake with lamps burning brightly, ready for our heavenly Bridegroom. God bless you all.

2016/11/29 15:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy