SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Sermons | Live

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A New Covenant of Grace

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: William (3 of 7)

WHAT IS FAITH?
--------------------

Hebrews 11:1

“Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” (KJV)

“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” (NASB)

“And faith is of things hoped for a confidence, of matters not seen a conviction,” (Young’s Literal Translation)

The Greek word translated as “substance” in KJV, “assurance” in NASB and “confidence” in YLT is hypostasis, from a compound of hypó, "under" and hístēmi, "to stand".

The Greek word translated as “evidence” in KJV and “conviction” in NASB and YLT is the Greek word élegxos. Thayer's Greek Lexicon defines it as “1. a proof, that by which a thing is proved or tested.... that by which invisible things are proved (and we are convinced of their reality)……”

MY THOUGHTS:

Things hoped for and not yet seen stand on this something called “FAITH” and this “FAITH” is the conviction that things hoped for and that are not seen WILL be seen.

GOD’S GREAT FAITH…… “I HAVE SAID IT, I HAVE DONE IT.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------

All true things to hope for are things from God as all other things like the grass will wither and fade away.

Everything of God comes into being by the word of God.

Gen. 1 – “Then God said…..and there was…..”

And so by God’s Word, all that which did not exist came into being and all that which was not seen was seen …… Light, Heaven, Earth, Seas, Grass, Plants, Trees, Sun, Moon, Stars, Living Creatures, Birds, Sea Monsters, Cattle, Creeping Things, Beasts of the Earth, MAN.

Can God speak and……nothing happens?

Absolutely NOT.

God’s Word stands on God’s own FAITH which is God’s own supreme and absolute conviction that what He says will be so. With God, there is never a doubt, only absolute certainty, that His Word will be done.

God’s FAITH, like God’s LOVE, is WHO God HIMSELF IS. God is Love (1 John 4:16). And, Christ is called “Faithful and True” (Rev. 19:11). He is the “Amen, the faithful and true witness” (Rev. 3:14).

HELPS Word-studies explains “Faithful” as:
“Cognate: 4103 pistós (an adjective, derived from 3982 /peíthō, ‘persuaded’) – properly, faithful (loyalty to faith; literally, fullness of faith); typically, of believing the faith God imparts.
[The root of 4103 /pistós, ‘faithful’ and 4100 /pisteúō, ‘faith,’ are the same (pist-), referring to persuasion.]

Therefore God’s Word stands on God’s faith which properly is WHO God is and HE IS the God who makes things unseen seen and He never fails.

“God is not a man -- and lieth, And a son of man -- and repenteth! Hath He said -- and doth He not do it? And spoken -- and doth He not confirm it?” (Num. 23:19 YLT)

With God, there “is no variation, or shadow of turning” (Jas. 1:17).

“I, the LORD, have spoken and will do it" (Ezek. 36:36). “’Then you will know that I, the LORD, have spoken and done it,’ declares the LORD'" (Ezek. 37:14).

“For He spoke, and it was done; He commanded, and it stood fast.” (Ps. 33:9)

“Declaring the end from the beginning, And from ancient times things which have not been done, Saying, 'My purpose will be established, And I will accomplish all My good pleasure'” (Isa. 46:10 NASB)

"For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.” (Isa. 55:10-11 NASB)

WE ARE CALLED TO HAVE GOD’S FAITH
-----------------------------------------------

“BUT MY RIGHTEOUS ONE SHALL LIVE BY FAITH; AND IF HE SHRINKS BACK, MY SOUL HAS NO PLEASURE IN HIM” (Heb. 10:38).

Our own personal faith will not make a pebble move a planck. How much less can our own personal faith secure for us the supreme things of God.

Mark 11:22 -
“Have faith in God.” (NASB)
“Have faith of God” (YLT)
Or, have God’s faith.

“yet, with respect to the promise of God, he did not waver in unbelief but grew strong in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform” (Rom. 4:20-21)

“Looking at them, Jesus said, ‘With people it is impossible, but not with God; for all things are possible with God.’” (Mark 10:27 NASB)

HOW CAN WE HAVE GOD’S GREAT FAITH?
-----------------------------------------------

The divine principle is laid down in the first of the great “signs” Jesus did that John recorded in His gospel (John 2:1-11; 20:30-31).

“Whatever He says to you, do it.” (John 2:5)
“Jesus said to them, ‘Fill the waterpots with water.’ And they filled them to the brim.” (Verse 7)
“And He said to them, ‘Draw out now….’ (Verse 8)
“….and the water…… had become wine…” (Verse 9)

Our part is simply to accept God’s word and fully trust that what He says He will surely do.

Our own faith in itself is worthless……like filling the waterpots with water. But it opens the door for God’s all-victorious and almighty faith to come in …… that changes the water into wine

Our faith is required but it is not by our faith but by God’s own absolute faithfulness to do His word that things hoped for are seen. Our faith matters but God’s faithfulness alone is great.

“……just say the word, and my servant will be healed” (Matt. 8:8).

“Now when Jesus heard this, He marveled and said to those who were following, ‘Truly I say to you, I have not found such great faith with anyone in Israel’” (Verse 10)’

“And Jesus said to the centurion, ‘Go; it shall be done for you as you have believed.’ And the servant was healed that very moment” (Verse 13).

My thoughts:
The centurion was a man who had great authority in that small part of “man’s kingdom” over which he ruled. What he said was always done. He says to his soldiers, ‘Go,’ and they go, ‘Come,’ and they come. And he says to his slaves ‘Do this,’ and they do it (Verse 9). But in the real issues of life, his authority was worthless. He could not command the pain and sickness to leave his servant. He could not just say the word and his servant would be healed. He acknowledged his subordination to the Lord Jesus. (He would not let the Lord into his house because everyone in his house was under his authority.) He believed in the Lord’s supreme authority and absolute faithfulness to perform His word. “Just say the word, and my servant will be healed.” The Lord just needs to say the word and it will be so.

He had believed in the great faithfulness of God to do what He says. Our own faith cannot move a pebble. God’s faith, as small as a mustard seed, can move a mountain. Our faith is simply in trusting the faithfulness of God.

"The Galilean Fishers toil all night and nothing take,
But Jesus comes--a wondrous spoil is lifted from the lake.”

GOD NOW SPEAKS TO US IN HIS SON (HEB. 1:2)
---------------------------------------------------------

Everything that God says to us now is IN Christ. WHO Christ is and all that He has done for us and all that He will continue to do for us is now the sum of God’s word to us. God has nothing else to say to us apart from His Son.

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being. In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men” (John 1:1-4 NASB).

The Bible is God’s Word to us. And the Bible is all about Christ (Luke 24:27, 44; John 5:39).

The Word is the Word of Christ (Rom. 10:17 NASB).

The Gospel is the Gospel of Christ (1 Cor. 9:12).

To receive God’s Word into our hearts is to receive Christ.
“…that Christ may dwell in your hearts…” (Eph. 3:17).

CHRIST IN US IS OUR HOPE OF GLORY (Col. 1:27).

“And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life” (1 John 5:11-12).

When Christ lives in me, all that are His are also mine……His life, His nature, His riches etc.

HOW CAN CHRIST BE IN US?
-----------------------------------

Our part is……do what He says……fill the waterpot with water:

"Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved” (Acts 16:31).

“This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ” (1 John 3:23).

“…for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is the rewarder of those who seek Him” (Heb. 11:6 NASB).

Then comes God’s all-powerful divine part……the water changed into wine:

“But as many as received Him, He gave to them authority to be children of God--to those believing in His name” (John 1:12 Berean Literal Bible).

“…… of him are ye in Christ Jesus” (1 Cor. 1:30).

“Jesus answered and said to him, ‘If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him’” (John 14:23)

Our own faith cannot put us in Christ and Christ in us. But it opens the door to God’s great faithfulness that does it.

Hope comes true.

Christ lives in me!

“I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you” (John 14:20)

WE NOW LIVE BY THE FAITH OF THE SON OF GOD

“…… My righteous one will live by faith……” (Heb. 10:38).

“I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me” (Gal. 2:20 KJV)

“with Christ I have been crucified, and live no more do I, and Christ doth live in me; and that which I now live in the flesh -- in the faith I live of the Son of God, who did love me and did give himself for me” (YLT)

It is no longer I but Christ, the Faithful and the Amen, who now lives in me and accordingly, it is no longer by my own faith BUT by the almighty all-triumphant faith of the Son of God living in me that every promise of God in Christ will be “Yes!” Amen! (2 Cor. 1:20)

(These are my newly-composed thoughts. Hope you can understand what I am trying to say......)

2016/12/19 2:24Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

God does not need faith.

2016/12/19 12:13Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: Todd

Todd, what is your definition of faith?

2016/12/19 23:03Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

No matter what definition one uses of faith, God does not need it. God is certainly faithful, but He does not need to have faith.

2016/12/20 7:42Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

You are right, Todd. God does not need faith. He is the fullness of faith.

2016/12/20 8:50Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

What do you mean when you say that? Do you mean fulfillment?

Fullness generally describes someone or something that is full of something.

Using that description, I would say fullness describes God in regard to love (among other things) but not faith, because God is not full of faith. He is full of faithfulness, which is a dramatic difference.

By the way- I am enjoying this discussion. It is making me think.

2016/12/20 9:41Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

Will continue this discussion after Christmas. We have just done some house renovation and have cleaning up to do.....

2016/12/21 2:34Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

On further thought, I would define “faith” more correctly (I think) as:

Things hoped for and not yet seen stand on this something called “FAITH” and this “FAITH” is the PROOF that things hoped for and that are not seen WILL be seen.

God can be full of faithfulness to us because of His great faith in Himself: “I have said it, I have done it”.

“.....If we deny Him, He also will deny us;
“If we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself” (2 Tim. 2:12,13 NASB)

My thought:
But if we believe in Him we lay hold of His faith and make it our own.

I think we are back to square one: What is your definition of faith?

2016/12/27 8:10Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: William (4 of 7) FAITH AND HOPE REMAINS

GOD MIGHTILY SAVES TO GREATLY BLESS
----------------------------------------------------

In the Old Testament, God delivered ancient Israel out of Egypt to pour rich blessings on them:

"So I have come down to deliver them from the power of the Egyptians, and to bring them up from that land to a good and spacious land, to a land flowing with milk and honey….” (Ex. 3:8), a land filled with “great and splendid cities which you did not build, and houses full of all good things which you did not fill, and hewn cisterns which you did not dig, vineyards and olive trees which you did not plant, and you eat and are satisfied… “ (Deut. 6:10,11).

"I, the LORD, am your God, Who brought you up from the land of Egypt; Open your mouth wide and I will fill it” (Psalm 81:10 NASB).

Likewise, God has delivered us out of the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son (Col. 1:13) to super-abundantly bless us with “every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ” (Eph.1:3, 3:20), to grant us whatever we ask in Jesus’ name (John 14:13, 15:7) and to “show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus” (Eph. 2:7).

“The LORD gives grace and glory; No good thing does He withhold from those who walk uprightly” (Ps, 84:11).

"……I would feed you with the finest of the wheat, And with honey from the rock I would satisfy you" (Ps. 81:16 NASB).

“……they who seek the LORD shall not be in want of any good thing” (Ps. 34:10).

“And let them say continually, ‘The LORD be magnified, Who delights in the prosperity of His servant’” (Ps. 35:27 NASB).

“How blessed is the one whom You choose and bring near to You To dwell in Your courts. We will be satisfied with the goodness of Your house, Your holy temple” (Ps. 65:4 NASB).

“They feast on the abundance of your house; you give them drink from your river of delights” (Ps. 36:8 NIV).

THE GLORIOUS HOPE OF OUR SALVATION: CHRIST IN US, THE HOPE OF GLORY
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

God is God of all grace (1 Peter 5:10).

Before the foundation of the world, God had chosen us to be IN Christ (Eph. 1:4) and freely bestowed the glorious riches of His grace on us IN CHRIST (Eph. 1:6, 2 Tim. 1:9).

In Christ we have, according to the riches of God’s grace, redemption:

“In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace” (Eph. 1:7).

In Christ we have, according to the riches of God’s grace, God’s eternal glory:

“…and whom He declared righteous, these also He did glorify” (Rom. 8:30 YLT).

“……the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ” (1 Pet. 5:10).

“To this He called you through our gospel, so that you may share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ” (2 Thess. 2:14).

“For God, who said, ‘Light shall shine out of darkness,’ is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ” (2 Cor. 4:6 NASB).

The Lord Jesus prayed to His Father before His crucifixion:
“……that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us…… The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity…… Father, I desire that they also, whom You have given Me, be with Me where I am, so that they may see My glory which You have given Me, for You loved Me before the foundation of the world……and I have made Your name known to them, and will make it known, so that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them” (John 17:20-26 NASB).

“…… the riches of the glory …… Christ in you, the hope of glory. (Col. 1:27)

In Christ we are, according to the riches of God’s grace, to be filled up with all the fullness of God:

God has an eternal purpose which is the “summing up of all things in Christ” (Eph. 1:9-10, 3:11, 4:10). According to God’s purpose we are to be conformed to the image of His Son (Rom. 8:28-29). Christ is to dwell in our hearts through faith and we are to be filled up to all the fullness of God. (Eph. 3:16-19).

It is the Father’s good pleasure for all fullness to dwell in Christ (Col, 1:19) and out of His fullness we receive, grace upon grace (John 1:16).

“and ye are in him made full……” (Col. 2:10 YLT)

Each member and the whole body of Christ are to be the fullness of Him that fills all in all.

“And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all” (Eph. 1:22,23).

“…… put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him……Christ is all, and in all” (Col. 3:10-11).

“……. that the name of our Lord Jesus will be glorified in you, and you in Him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ” (2 Thess. 1:12).

In Christ we are, according to the riches of God’s grace, God’s sons and heirs of God:

“…… so that being justified by His grace we would be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life” (Titus 3:7 NASB).

“For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus” (Gal. 3:26 NASB).

“He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved” (Eph. 1:5-6).

“The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ” (Rom. 8:16-17).

THE INCONCEIVABLE GREATNESS AND RICHES OF THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“O LORD my God, You are very great; You are clothed with splendor and majesty” (Ps. 104:1 NASB).

“Great is the LORD, and highly to be praised, And His greatness is unsearchable.” (Ps. 145:3 NASB)

The Lord Jesus is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of God’s nature (Heb. 1:3)

“…… by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities-- all things have been created through Him and for Him. He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him” (Col. 1:16-19)

“and all things that are Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine; and I have been glorified in them.” (John 17:10 NASB)

In Him are hidden all the treasure of wisdom and knowledge (Col.2:3).

The riches and wealth of Christ are unsearchable, unfathomable, immeasurable, infinite, boundless and inexhaustible. (Eph. 3:8)

His power is inconceivable. “……in Him all things hold together”. He “upholds all things by the word of His power” (Heb. 1:3). The Lord Jesus is maintaining and preserving all things just by the word of His power.

"To whom will you compare me? Who is my equal?" asks the Holy One. Look up into the heavens. Who created all the stars? He brings them out like an army, one after another, calling each by its name. Because of his great power and incomparable strength, not a single one is missing” (Isa. 40:25-26 NLT).

Look up into the heavens! The vastness of the universe defies our imagination. It is too big for our brain to fully grasp. The observable portion of the universe has been calculated to be a gigantic bubble about 93 billion light years across and the universe is still expanding.

Look at the stars! They are numberless. Astronomers estimate that there are more than 100 billion galaxies in the observable universe and each galaxy contains billions of stars. And this could be a gross underestimation.

How inconceivably and infinitely greater is the Lord Jesus, the Creator.

He lives in me. He fills me. And as He is unimaginably rich and powerful, how immense and boundless also are His riches and His power in me!

Lord Jesus, may I never limit You.

“Yea, they turn back, and try God, And the Holy One of Israel have limited” (Ps. 78:41 YLT).

(“And limited the Holy One of Israel - The idea is, that they set a limit to the power of God; they fancied or alleged - (and this is a thing often done practically even by the professed people of God) - that there was a boundary in respect to power which he could not pass, or that there were things to be done which he had not the ability to perform. The original word - תוה tâvâh - occurs but three times in the Scriptures; in 1 Samuel 21:13, where it is rendered scrabbled (in the margin, made marks); in Ezekiel 9:4, where it is rendered set, that is, set a mark (margin, mark); and in the place before us. It is rendered here by the Septuagint and the Latin Vulgate, to provoke to anger. DeWette translates it troubled. Professor Alexander, ‘On the Holy One of Israel (they) set a mark.’ The idea in the word would seem to be that of making a mark for any purpose; and then it means to delineate; to scrawl; or to set a mark for a limit or boundary. Thus it might be applied to God - as if, in estimating his character or his power, they set limits or bounds to it, as one does in marking out a farm or a house-lot in a city or town. There was a limit, in their estimation, to the power of God, beyond which he could not act; or, in other words, his power was defined and bounded, so that beyond a certain point he could not aid them.” – Barnes Notes on the Bible)

God will do in us according to the riches of His grace and glory, “exceeding abundantly beyond all that we ask or think (Eph. 3:20).

"What no eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the heart of man imagined, what God has prepared for those who love him” (1 Cor. 2:9 ESV)……… the Holy Spirit will lead me into all truth and disclose Christ to me (John 16:13-15).

PRESSING ON TOWARD THE MARK …… THAT I MAY GAIN CHRIST
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“We proclaim Him, admonishing every man and teaching every man with all wisdom, so that we may present every man complete in Christ” (Col. 1:28 NASB).

Conversion is not the end of our salvation story. It is just the starting point of a great Christian journey the end of which is that we will be filled with the fullness of Christ (Eph. 3:19) and Christ is formed in us (Gal. 4:19).

“……until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God, as we mature to the full measure of the stature of Christ” (Eph. 4:13 NASB).

The journey is a race to be run and “one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Phil. 3:13-14 NASB).

“the high calling] Lit., ‘the upward, or upper calling.’ …… The word rendered ‘high’ is the same as that rendered Galatians 4:26 as ‘Jerusalem which is above’: and cp. John 8:23, ‘I am from (the things) above.’……This ‘calling’ is ‘celestial,’ at once in origin, operation, and final issue. Cp. Colossians 3:1-2; 2 Thessalonians 2:14. In the Epistles the words ‘call,’ ‘calling,’ denote not merely the external invitation but the internal and effectual drawing of the soul by grace. See in illustration 1 Corinthians 1:23-24. ……” --- Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges.

We are called away from “earthly” ground, to “set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth” (Col. 3:2).

”Ye are from beneath, I am from above; ye are of this world, I am not of this world” (John 8:23 YLT).

We are called to a heavenly position, to enter into the “Holy of Holies” (Heb. 10:19), to be seated in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus (Eph. 2:6) and to be in Christ and He in us (John 14:20, 15:4, 17:21-26).

We are called to look away from everything else and fix our eyes on the Lord Jesus alone (Heb.12:1-2).

The grand pursuit from start to finish is: “……that I may gain Christ” (Phil. 3:8).

The prize is the Lord Jesus Himself. It is Him that we receive (John 1:12).

The way is the way of the cross:

“But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ …… that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead” (Phil. 3:7-11).

Fiery trials will meet us to try us. But, “when you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, nor will the flame burn you” (Isa. 43:2 NASB).

“For God has said, ‘I will never fail you. I will never abandon you’" (Heb. 13:5 NLT).

“……’Was it not three men we cast bound into the midst of the fire?’ …… ‘Look! I see four men loosed and walking about in the midst of the fire without harm, and the appearance of the fourth is like a son of the gods!’ (Dan. 3:24-25).

The fiery trials burn away the bonds of “flesh” and “the world” that so easily entangle us “so that we may be perfect and complete (Jas. 1:4)” in Christ.

Faith, NOT works, is the requisite.

“……not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith……” (Phil.3:9 NASB).

“And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ” (1 John 3:23).

We receive Him by believing in His name (John 1:12).

“And my righteous ones will live by faith” (Heb. 10:38 NLT).

The race is finished by faith: “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith” (2 Tim. 4:7 BLB).

The Holy Spirit will teach us all things, guide us into all truth and reveal Christ to us and in us (John 16:12-15).

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Grace (Heb. 10:29). He brings to us from God all that God’s grace encompasses....the fullness of the Lord Jesus Himself. He will fill us with the fullness of Christ and form Christ in us. He is the Spirit of Life who will impart to us the life of Christ. He is the Spirit of power who will enable us to live the resurrection life, the heavenly life of Christ in God’s mighty power. He is the Spirit of Wisdom who will enlighten us on all the things of God. He will fill our hearts with Christ’s own love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Gal. 5:22-23).

“'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,' says the LORD of hosts” (Zech. 4:6 NASB).

We will not be perfected in this life, but, ……”Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus” (Phil. 3:12 NASB).

“After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you” (1 Pet. 5:10 NASB).

“……our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ; who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself” (Phil. 3:20-21 NASB).

“Beloved, now we are children of God, and it has not appeared as yet what we will be. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him, because we will see Him just as He is” (1 John 3:2).

“Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, and to make you stand in the presence of His glory blameless with great joy, to the only God our Savior, through Jesus Christ our Lord, be glory, majesty, dominion and authority, before all time and now and forever. Amen.” (Jude 24-25 NASB).

HOPE ETERNAL AND BOUNDLESS: A RIVER THAT CANNOT BE FORDED
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“……that you may be filled up to all the fullness of God” (Eph. 3:19 NASB).

My thought:
In eternity we will certainly be filled up to all the fullness of God so that Christ will be all in us. BUT can we ever contain all of the fullness of God? Can we ever contain ALL of His glory and riches so that there is no more to hope for? To me, no.

The riches of Christ are boundless, immeasurable, unfathomable (Eph. 3:8).

“Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain You, how much less this house which I have built!” (1 Kings 8:27 NASB).

Mal. 3:10 gives the picture……"I will…… open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.”

In my view, we will never be able to contain all of the riches of Christ.

We will continually be receiving out of His fullness, grace upon grace.

Our cups will continually “runneth over”.

The imagery in Luke 6:38 is applicable:

“A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, and running over will be poured into your lap“ (NIV).

Always there will be more and yet more to be received.

The Lord Jesus spoke of the water that He will give to us to drink…… "……whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life" (John 4:14 NASB).

The Holy Spirit is symbolised by the rivers of living water that will flow from our innermost being:

“Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "’If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, “From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.”’ But this He spoke of the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were to receive; for the Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified” (John 7:37-39 NASB).

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Grace (Heb. 10:29). He imparts the fullness of Christ to me.

Ezekiel 47 gives this picture of the ever-increasing and limitless volume of this water:

First, the water reached to the ankles. Then, to the knees. Then, to the loins. Till finally “it was a river that I could not ford, for the water had risen, enough water to swim in, a river that could not be forded.”

The water is too much, too much for me.

The Spirit of Grace has too much, too much of the fullness of Christ to give to me.

The grace of the Lord Jesus is too much, too much for me.

The fullness of the Lord Jesus is too far beyond my capacity to receive.

The bounds of our inheritance in Christ: “……the length, the breadth, the depth, the height, …… the love of Christ …… passes knowledge” (Eph. 3:18-19).

My View:
“Christ in us, the hope of glory” is a hope that is without limit, a hope without end, a hope never fading away through all eternity. I will never ever reach the point where there is nothing more of Christ’s fullness that I can still hope to receive.

ETERNAL AND UNFAILING FAITH
---------------------------------------------

Christ in us is our hope of glory.

This hope is boundless and endless.

Will this hope always be fulfilled?

We will NEVER be disappointed. The Lord Jesus is the Faithful and the Amen and He never changes.

Throughout eternity we will live by faith in God’s great and unfailing faithfulness.

INFINITE AND EVERLASTING GRACE
--------------------------------------------------

The Lord Jesus is full of grace (John 1:14).

“There will be no end to the increase of His government or of peace” (Isa. 9:7 NASB).

His throne is a throne of grace (Heb. 4:16).

The river of grace that flows from His throne cannot be forded (Ezek. 47). It is too great.

The Lord Jesus does not change. Now and forever, out of His fullness we will receive, grace upon grace (John 1:16).

“Come; and he who is thirsting -- let him come; and he who is willing -- let him take the water of life freely” (Rev. 22:17 YLT).

The grace of the Lord Jesus is limitless. We limit it for ourselves by taking too little of it.

“For the LORD is good; His lovingkindness is everlasting And His faithfulness to all generations” (Ps. 100:5).

“Taste ye and see that Jehovah is good, O the happiness of the man who trusteth in Him” (Ps. 34:8 YLT).

2017/1/11 3:16Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: William

Hi William,

I have decided that the remaining 3 points do not matter so I will stop writing.

God bless you.

2017/1/19 8:03Profile

©2002-2017 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy