SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Sermons | About

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : A New Covenant of Grace

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
proudpapa

TMK

The Law was given to expose there true condition and cause them to seek Mercy but instead it became something that they used to pride themselves in and condemn others with.

2016/11/28 11:18Profile
TrueWitness

Re: TMK

I just want to link to a good exposition on the place of OT law in the life of the New Testament believer.

http://www.middletownbiblechurch.org/doctrine/rulelife.htm

Let me ask you: Do you think that it was possible for OT saints to perfectly keep the LAW in every respect? If so, you are what is known as a pelagianist. The purpose of the law was twofold:

1)To show the exceeding holiness and righteousness of Almighty God.

2)To show man he does not and cannot measure up to this level of righteousness by his own efforts and resources.

The law should have led to deep humility and poverty of spirit. The law was given 1500 years before Christ. It was necessary for them to have been under deep conviction of sin before Christ came otherwise they would have said, "What sin? We don't need a Savior". So the law was a schoolmaster to bring people to a place where they saw their need for Christ.

So was God unfair in giving commands that they could not keep perfectly? Well, God will accept contrition associated with a broken heart over sin. And there was all the sacrifices and rituals for cleansing to cover their sin. Unrepentant sin however will result in punishment.

2016/11/28 15:38Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

No I do not believe an OT person could keep the law.

Nor do I believe that a NT saint can, at least none that I have met or heard of.

2016/11/28 16:11Profile
proudpapa

Luke 18 :
9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

2016/11/28 17:09Profile
proudpapa

Re:

RE : /// Nor do I believe that a NT saint can, at least none that I have met or heard of.///

That has been my observation as well.

"What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise"

"As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one"

"21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference"

2016/11/28 17:16Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: Fletcher

OBEDIENCE

Agree, Fletcher. Obedience is all-important.

And God has made a way when we had no way.....

“Then he said to me, ‘This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, “Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,” says the LORD of hosts.’” (Zech. 4:6 NASB)

"I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances. (Ezek. 36:27 NASB)

2016/11/29 7:04Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

FIXING OUR EYES ON JESUS, THE AUTHOR AND PERFECTER OF FAITH

“Therefore, my brethren, you also were made to die to the Law through the body of Christ, so that you might be joined to another, to Him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. “ (Rom. 7:4)

“But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.” (Rom. 7:6)

I see Jesus only and trust the Holy Spirit completely to lead me, teach me and make me holy in Christ.

2016/11/29 7:05Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

GRACE FOREVERMORE!

You said: “..... obedience .... is enabled by grace....”

There surely will be superabounding grace to keep us super holy in heaven through all eternity!

Agree?

2016/11/29 7:07Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

2 Peter 1:3-5 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. But also for this very reason, **giving all diligence, add to your faith*** virtue, to virtue knowledge. (Emphasis supplied)

God gives us all things now. What more can He give in heaven?

Further, despite the fact that he gives us all things now, we are instructed to be "diligent" and "add to" all things.

I can only interpret this as meaning that God has done His part and we must do our part. And we are the ones doing our part because the above verses show that God has already given us all things, therefore we must add to these things ourselves.

2016/11/29 8:32Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re: Todd

His divine power has given us all things that pertain to life and godliness....

I do believe that now we only have a deposit.

"...in the ages to come He might show us the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." (Eph. 2:7)

V.2 - Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.

Edit:

Our part: The just shall live by faith. According to your faith it is done for you.

2016/11/29 9:12Profile

©2002-2016 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Google+ | Privacy Policy