Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Brethern Assembly Experience

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Sree

Brethern Assembly Experience

I recently came to know about a friend of ours who is caught up with a brothern Assembly. I know that they do not preach about Holy Spirit, but based on the experience head from my friend, it appears that they are very legalistic. If someone ignores the ministry of Holy Spirit willfully then all that is left is law. So this did not surprise me.

I want to know the experience that posters here had in such assemblies. If you have left them then what led to that move?

2016/11/26 11:16Profile

Re: Brothern Assembly Experience

Brother can you be a please little more specific about what these assemblies are? I think I have an idea of what you're talking about period but want to be sure.

Let me ask are these the Plymouth Brethren and you're talking about?

-bbs-

2016/11/26 12:14
Sree

Re:

In India they go by the name brethren assemblies. I am not sure what they are called here. Their doctrine does not include the work of Holy Spirit. They are at the opposite end of Pentecostals with respect to belief in Holy Spirit.

Plymouth Brethren that you posted sounds like one of them.

2016/11/26 13:27Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
In India they go by the name brethren assemblies. I am not sure what they are called here. Their doctrine does not include the work of Holy Spirit. They are at the opposite end of Pentecostals with respect to belief in Holy Spirit.

Brother,

It is from Plymouth Brethren https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Brethren

Recently on our moving trip to New Brunswick, Canada we stayed with 4 families from the brethren church. We enjoyed the fellowship greatly and from our perspective there are definitely true disciples in these church gatherings. They started from leaving the Anglican and Reformed Churches in England which in themselves are cessationist and deny the gifts of the Holy Spirit. So it is no surprise they would be stuck in some of the same thinking.

One of the strengths of the movement is their recovery of some of the New Testament Church gathering, how to meet as Church according to the Scriptures alone. J.N. Darby is one of the more well known leaders in the movement.

There is much to learn from them and of course anything that is over 200 years old can become more religious and lacking the presence of Christ, this is a problem they must deal with.

They gather weekly around the Lord's Table to remember the death of Christ. They focus their meetings around Jesus Christ and not a pastor or speaker. All brethren are disciples of Jesus Christ. There is much to learn from their focus and heart. I know many good brothers and sisters that have ended up fellowshipping in these local churches: http://www.believershome.com/html/brethren_assemblies.html

One of my favorite bible teachings from the current movement is the late William MacDonald, his writings were used of the Lord to encourage me much in my early walk with the Lord. Especially his small booklet called: True Discipleship. http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12995&forum=34

Also one of my personal favorite Church history books was written by a brethren believer, B.H. Broadbent: The Pilgrim Church: http://thejesusway.info/pdf/PilgrimChurch/PilgrimChurch.html

Other notable leaders that many would know:
George Mueller
Anthony Norris Groves — Missionary to Baghdad and India
Watchman Nee
Harry Ironside
Hudson Taylor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Brethren

2016/11/26 14:01Profile

Re: Sree

Brother if it us the same group I have had some limited experience with them. I visited a Plymouth Brethren Church here in Little Rock for a brief time. You are right and that they do not acknowledge the work of the Holy Spirit in their assemblies. In other words they do not acknowledge the prophetic gifts and hold to the doctrine of cessationism.

Brethren assemblies allow the men to share in the service. But the brethren teach that the women are to remain silent. I'm not sure if they are even allowed to sing hymns. This teaching is based on 1st Corinthians 14:34. However the women are not required to wear the head covering. I suppose if the women keep silent then tge brethren and don't require them to wear the head covering. Strictly my observation.

I have found in my own limited dealings with them if they are quite legalistic. Almost like fundamental Baptists. They appear to believe in the atoning work of Christ. They would hold that salvation is by faith in Jesus alone. However as you observef they do not aloe for the working of the Holy Spirit in their midst.

In the assembly I visited it was made known to me that Jim Elliot was of the Plymouth brethren suasion. But I'm not sure if this brother would have embraced their extreme legalism.

Anyway brother this is my own experience with them and it was limited. I could not cope with their legalism and eventually stopped visiting the fellowship.

Hope this helps.

-bbs-

2016/11/26 14:03

Re: Greg

Brother evidently your experience with the Brethren was more positive than mine was. I suppose each assembly varies differently. Perhaps some are better than others.

-bbs-

2016/11/26 14:09
Sree

Re:

Thank you Greg and Bear. Both are very useful. The friend I know got introduced to gospel through this brothren assembly. Recently when we met, his wife had lot of complaints about their legalistic positions. It appears that they force them to attend every single meeting and some of their meetings are even arranged in last minute and everyone is expected to attend. They also have insisted my friend to give up sports.

Irrespective of all legalistic pressure faced by them, the friend of mine is still interested in meeting with them for the fear of hurting their sentiments.

Though I desire that he and his wife meet with us in our fellowship, I do not want to ask them to come out. Waiting for Lord to open his eyes on legalism.

2016/11/26 14:16Profile

Re:

I grew up in a neighborhood with many brethren families. This was back in Australia. They were called "The Exclusive Brethren". They were about as close to being a cult without being a cult if that makes sense? You had to be invited to their church services which then became compulsory. They did believe the gospel but were very legalistic. All the men had buzz cuts as longer hair was considered sinful. The women wore long skirts and long hair and always wore head coverings. They kept to themselves and were not friendly people. None of the kids were allowed to play with us growing up. The did attend public schools though. I always got the impression that they felt they were better than anyone else. Ironically though the kids were very miserable and were not allowed to play sports or have fun. They were big into owning businesses...money was very important to them. And they all worked in the same businesses and did very well.

That is my recollection of the Brethren growing up. Not sure if they have changed much since then but I will ask my dad who still lives in the same house across the street from the same Brethen family...50 years later lol.

2016/11/26 14:55

Re:

The Darby Bretheren soon split into "Open" and "Exclusive" Bretheren.
Yes the Exclusive Bretheren are know to be quite cultish.
Open Bretheren tend to be legalistic but now each congregation might be a bit different.
You can't judge them just by the name, discernment is required. Some are now changing the name to "Gospel Chapel" putting the main focus on the Gospel.

2016/11/26 23:14

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy