SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are you an existentialist?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Todd,

It's a very interesting work as it presents a narrative where one will invariably identify with one of the four archetypical personae as the story follows out the course of events leading to different tho inevitable conclusions of each character.
Not sure if it's his best work but it is without question a masterful piece of literature.

The more I read about Dostoyevsky's life, the more it became clear that it was faith in God that sustained him and his works are seasoned with this faith.

It reminded me of Watchman Nee a bit tho they have completely different characters and styles of writing there is much to be gleaned from these brothers. Like Nee, there are things the Christian existentialists write that I can relate/agree with and some that perhaps is beyond me, like with Kierkegaard's Works of love...that is such a thick and meaty writing that I simply lack the ability to digest it all at once much like the scriptures are.

One of the most beautiful and useful things I've gotten from narrative literature is that the Bible itself is written as a narrative... and tho we often dissect it for the purpose of refinement (doctrines & theology), when read as a literary narrative so much more of the person of Jesus is revealed and it (the scriptures) reveal yet another even richer revelation of our Lord and savior, the man Jesus Christ.
I'm greatful for this and long for dialogue in this vein tho in a modern age of "being right" and "interpretation" this is a lost art of simply knowing Him.

2016/11/23 10:00Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Fletcher-

Our church just did a 9 month series using "The Story" which is the Bible written in narrative form.

The emphasis was on recognizing what was going on in the "upper story" (God's perspective) in relation to the "lower story" (what we experience).

It was quite good- you might want to check it out. I know you can get it as a phone app.

2016/11/23 10:35Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Take for instance the existence precedes essence aspect.... did Adam exist in essence prior to his physical creation?
We know that Jesus existed prior to His incarnation but is that true for us also like David suggests in the psalms?

I assume that you're thinking of Psalm 139:15-16. Jeremiah 1:4-5 might also be one to consider in the possibility of man's existence prior to being physically born. But neither of these passages are definitive statements of such and they actually point much more to God's omniscience. Nothing in the Bible explicitly states this notion of existence preceding essence in mankind.

Also, this is really an issue of doctrine and not a matter of existential philosophy in the sense of "leap of faith."
Religious existentialism has removed the intellect from faith and made it a matter of passion, only relationship and action matter, even if those passions are misplaced. So you have men like Rob Bell who insist that Christians should live a life of faith regardless of its historical accuracy, this is a terrible leap, it leads to Christianity being thought of as the best way but not the only way. It brings man to hopelessness in the matter of knowing God.

Here is something from Francis Schaeffer on the matter of existential thought and its beginnings with Kierkegaard;

"This[modern existential thought] turns upon his writing of Abraham and the "sacrifice" of Isaac. Kierkegaard said this was an act of faith with nothing rational to base it upon or to which to relate it. Out of this came the modern concept of a "leap of faith" and total separation of the rational and faith.

In this thinking concerning Abraham, Kierkegaard had not read the Bible carefully enough. Before Abraham was asked to move toward the sacrifice of Isaac(which of course God did not allow to be consummated), he had much propositional revelation from God, he had seen God, God had fulfilled promises to him. In short, God's words at this time were in the context of Abraham's strong reason for knowing that God both existed and was totally trustworthy. This does not minimize Abraham's faith shown in the march to Mt. Moriah and all the rest, but it certainly was not a "leap of faith" separated from rationality."

In Christ,

2016/11/23 11:06Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Brother Ron wrote "I assume that you're thinking of Psalm 139:15-16. Jeremiah 1:4-5 might also be one to consider in the possibility of man's existence prior to being physically born. But neither of these passages are definitive statements of such and they actually point much more to God's omniscience. Nothing in the Bible explicitly states this notion of existence preceding essence in mankind."

Yes you're correct in assuming those passages being a point of reference and like you I see that they appear hyperbolic in relating to us but bespeak of Gods knowing the end from the beginning.
Tho on the second point you make I think we have a different understanding of the terms used...
if we as essence (soul/spirit) exist prior to our physical existence then the existential postulate is incorrect,... tho if we take the creation of Adam literally, that his physical person was created prior to his having an essence (soul/spirit) then the basic tenet of existentialism is technically correct...

2016/11/23 18:50Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy