SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : American Sniper: Lessons in Spiritual Warfare

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

American Sniper: Lessons in Spiritual Warfare

I'm reading this book by a guy who is an EMT and an intercessor and sells his books under the name the Praying Medic on amazon. He put into words what I could not about when people post an opinion and then the challenges that ensue. Read on, please.

/////////////
The problem with friendly fire in the church is one of spiritual immaturity.

One way to come under attack as a Christian is to hold a view of God that is different from the view someone else has. Many Christians identify themselves according to the theological views they’ve embraced. What we believe to be true about God can unconsciously become our identity. When someone disagrees with our view of God, they aren’t merely challenging a theological viewpoint. They’re challenging the validity of our identity. And since our identity is the foundation of who we are, many Christians will attack you personally if you challenge their view of God.

Wise Christians take their identity from the Father Himself and not from what they believe to be true about Him. They know attacking that they are exactly who He says they are. And because their view of God is not their identity, you can challenge their views and they won’t attack you personally, because you aren’t attacking their identity. You’re merely disagreeing with their views.

When we attack other believers, many times it’s because we have not yet accepted our true identity, and this prevents us from being perfected in love. One barometer of spiritual maturity is our capacity to love others and avoid attacking them. Love suffers long, it doesn’t seek its own, it’s gentle and not prideful, it bears all things, hopes all things, endures all things and it never fails. When we allow God to establish our true identity, it becomes easier to show unconditional love to others.

Medic, Praying. American Sniper: Lessons in Spiritual Warfare (Kindle Locations 297-302). Inkity Press. Kindle Edition.
///////////////

2016/11/22 6:42Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: American Sniper: Lessons in Spiritual Warfare

I hear you, sister Lysa.

I was just thinking: We should all communicate as children of God, not theologians.

"Knowledge puffs up but love builds up"

On the other hand "iron sharpens iron" :)

2016/11/22 7:00Profile
savannah

"Even a dog barks when his Master is being attacked." JC

2016/11/22 7:03Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

I'm replying to this in case others might want to read this excerpt since Greg started a thread, "Disagreements And Christian Unity on SermonIndex."

Quote I love from this article, "One barometer of spiritual maturity is our capacity to love others and avoid attacking them." Amen.

God bless,
Lisa

2016/12/28 13:56Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
When we attack other believers, many times it’s because we have not yet accepted our true identity, and this prevents us from being perfected in love.

Excellent article sister, thank you for sharing.

2016/12/28 15:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy