SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Where is the LOVE of Christ????????

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Where is the LOVE of Christ????????

This is from Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray

The Fruit of the Spirit is Love.

Why are we taught that "the fruit of the Spirit is love"? Because the Spirit of God has come to make our daily life an exhibition of divine power and a revelation of what God can do for His children.

In the second and the fourth chapters of Acts we read that the disciples were of one heart and of one soul. During the three years they had walked with Christ they never had been in that spirit. All Christ’s teaching could not make them of one heart and one soul. But the Holy Spirit came from Heaven and shed the love of God in their hearts, and they were of one heart and one soul. The same Holy Spirit that brought the love of Heaven into their hearts must fill us too. Nothing less will do. Even as Christ did, one might preach love for three years with the tongue of an angel, but that would not teach any man to love unless the power of the Holy Spirit should come upon him to bring the love of Heaven into his heart.

Think of the church at large. What divisions! Think of the different bodies. Take the question of holiness, take the question of the cleansing blood, take the question of the baptism of the Spirit — what differences are caused among dear believers by such questions! That there are differences of opinion does not trouble me. We do not have the same constitution and temperament and mind. But how often hate, bitterness, contempt, separation, unlovingness are caused by the holiest truths of God’s Word! Our doctrines, our creeds, have been more important than love. We often think we are valiant for the truth and we forget God’s command to speak the truth in love. And it was so in the time of the Reformation between the Lutheran and Calvinistic churches. What bitterness there was than in regard to the Holy Supper, which was meant to be the bond of union among all believers! And so, down the ages, the very dearest truths of God have become mountains that have separated us.

If we want to pray in power, and if we want to expect the Holy Spirit to come down in power, and if we want indeed that God shall pour out His Spirit, we must enter into a covenant with God that we love one another with a heavenly love.

Are you ready for that? Only that is true love that is large enough to take in all God’s children, the most unloving and unlovable, and unworthy, and unbearable, and trying. If my vow — absolute surrender to God — was true, then it must mean absolute surrender to the divine love to fill me; to be a servant of love to love every child of God around me. "The fruit of the Spirit is love."

Oh, God did something wonderful when He gave Christ, at His right hand, the Holy Spirit to come down out of the heart of the Father and His everlasting love. And how we have degraded the Holy Spirit into a mere power by which we have to do our work! God forgive us! Oh, that the Holy Spirit might be held in honor as a power to fill us with the very life and nature of God and of Christ!

2005/6/6 11:50
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re: Where is the LOVE of Christ????????

We need it more !!! his dynamite love

2005/6/6 23:03Profile

feebleness and failure in the Church of Christ!

This is from Absolute Surrender by Andrew Murray

I pray you, let us learn to believe that God has a blessing for us. The Holy Ghost, into whose hands God has put the work, has been called “the executive of the Holy Trinity.” The Holy Ghost has not only power, but He has the Spirit of love. He is brooding over this dark world and every sphere of work in it, and He is willing to bless. And why is there not more blessing? There can be but one answer. We have not honored the Holy Ghost as we should have done. Is there one who can say that that is not true? Is not every thoughtful heart ready to cry: “God forgive me that I have not honored the Holy Spirit as I should have done, that I have grieved Him, that I have allowed self and the flesh and my own will to work where the Holy Ghost should have been honored! May God forgive me that I have allowed self and the flesh and the will actually to have the place that God wanted the Holy Ghost to have.”

Oh, the sin is greater than we know! No wonder that there is so much feebleness and failure in the Church of Christ!

2005/6/7 11:13
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re: feebleness and failure in the Church of Christ!

Quote:
There can be but one answer. We have not honored the Holy Ghost as we should have done. Is there one who can say that that is not true? Is not every thoughtful heart ready to cry: “God forgive me that I have not honored the Holy Spirit as I should have done, that I have grieved Him, that I have allowed self and the flesh and my own will to work where the Holy Ghost should have been honored! May God forgive me that I have allowed self and the flesh and the will actually to have the place that God wanted the Holy Ghost to have.”

Oh, the sin is greater than we know! No wonder that there is so much feebleness and failure in the Church of Christ!

Thanks for sharing this freecd. How true it is. Christ loved the unlovable and was more concerned about their soul than whether or not the person had arrived at some standard of holiness or even believed some certain 'doctrine.' The Church has divided over every thing imaginable. Division is just that- it is 'two visions'. Ours and God's. When ours get in the way there is division.

I think one of the most painful things that a believer can experience is to have some fellow believer suggest that because they do not fit some certain mold that they are somehow not a true child of God. I think that is where the bitterness comes in. imagine the madness of this; "If your not like me you must not be God's!" And then give a bunch of scriptures to prove it.

What ever happened to, "By their fruits you will know them." I think that when we get to Heaven we are going to be surprised by the who [i]are[/i] and who [i]are not[/i] actually there. One thing I can say for sure we will never be held accountable for is trying to show genuine agape love. Not partaking of other peoples sins, but showing them love and grace.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/6/7 11:39Profile
moreofHim

Re: absolute surrender-love

freecd,

I was just discussing these exact passages from the book with my daughter last week. I remember first reading the chapter on love a couple of years ago and my heart was rebellious toward it at first. I was stuck in a "judgemental prophet" mode. But i have learned since then, thank the Lord, that there is balance to all of it. But most important is to love the Lord with your all and love others as yourself(better than yourself-put others before yourself) :)

Quote:
Think of the church at large. What divisions! Think of the different bodies. Take the question of holiness, take the question of the cleansing blood, take the question of the baptism of the Spirit — what differences are caused among dear believers by such questions! That there are differences of opinion does not trouble me. We do not have the same constitution and temperament and mind. But how often hate, bitterness, contempt, separation, unlovingness are caused by the holiest truths of God’s Word! Our doctrines, our creeds, have been more important than love. We often think we are valiant for the truth and we forget God’s command to speak the truth in love. And it was so in the time of the Reformation between the Lutheran and Calvinistic churches. What bitterness there was than in regard to the Holy Supper, which was meant to be the bond of union among all believers! And so, down the ages, the very dearest truths of God have become mountains that have separated us.

In Him, Chanin

2005/6/7 11:46Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy