SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The Seeker Whom Jesus Refused to Save

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

The Seeker Whom Jesus Refused to Save

One day a man approached Jesus seeking salvation, only to find out that Jesus refused to give it to him. The man had asked, “Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Now it would seem that this man sincerely wanted to know how to get to heaven and escape hell. Isn’t that a legitimate request? Don’t we wish that more earnest seekers like that would enter our churches?

I find it interesting that Jesus did not respond with the usual commands that we typically quote when explaining the way to salvation, such as, “You must be born again” or, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ…”, or “… receive him…” Instead, he began by listing the last half of the Ten Commandments – the ones the man did not feel guilty of breaking. Obviously this man had integrity and saw no need to change – no sins from which to repent. So far so good.

Then Jesus gave another command that I have never yet heard quoted by anyone who was explaining the way to salvation. Jesus said, “You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor….” Lk. 18: 22 Wow! I think we would be quite disturbed if any evangelist chose that verse! But Jesus could say it because he saw the very thing that was keeping this man from true salvation. Jesus went right to the heart. “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Lk.. 12:34

This rich ruler was unknowingly violating the first and greatest commandments. Now he, an influential community leader, wanted to have the best of both worlds – security in this world and security in the next world. Jesus’ request was an affront to his entire sense of manly identity and worth. It was a call to change from being someone to being no one.

After Jesus had hit the target in his heart, he next said, “THEN come follow me”. Note the order. Note also that Jesus said nothing about eternal life, which is what the man came seeking after. This man wanted to get saved, but he did NOT want to follow Jesus because that was too costly.

There is a sobering message in this biblical account. We evangelicals have been explaining salvation by choosing only certain Bible quotes, while neglecting the heart of the matter. We have been eager to save people, but we have miserably failed to make FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST. There are countless Christians around who believe they are saved because they were told so by spiritual leaders. However, really they have never become FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST because in their hearts they never surrendered their worldly securities.

If the rich ruler had come into a typical church today to seek salvation, he would likely have gone away glad, not sad. He would have believed he was saved based on words of the spiritual leaders (those who themselves have never surrendered their idolatrous trust in their eartly securities) He would have been given membership in the church, and even likely a place of leadership. (remember, he was a good leader in the community)

At least Jesus gave him a chance to know his own heart. No doubt the man would always remember the words of Jesus. Maybe in time he was able to surrender his idolatrous securities and choose Christ.

Only the Spirit knows the buried treasures of the heart. We don’t! So let us stop trying to play God. He will do the harvesting in HIS time, not ours, by HIS Spirit, not ours.

Jesus promised to save those who want HIM, not merely the security of eternal life.

by Diane

2005/6/6 8:38Profile

Re: The Seeker Whom Jesus Refused to Save

Great truth Diane,
It's all or nothing. One other thing, we here in the USA and in Canada are far richer than this "rich young ruler" was.

You said:

Quote:
However, really they have never become FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST

As christians, we have not been very good followers of Christ either. The great Mahatma Ghandi said, "if only Christians would live like the bible says, India could be won in only one day". He was not a foolish man, to make this kind of statement. He recognized the potential when He read the bible. But could not find anyone who was living like the bible teaches.

At His loss,

Lahry

2005/6/6 9:03
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Only the Spirit knows the buried treasures of the heart. We don’t! So let us stop trying to play God. He will do the harvesting in HIS time, not ours, by HIS Spirit, not ours.

Finney deals with this topic also and reminds us that the Holy Spirit deals with folk in the areas of which He has a controversy with the person. It is a difficult thing to assess because sometimes ministers tend to harp on things that bear down on the conscience of the person that creates a 'psuedo' type form of conviction. Finney did it a lot and didn't probably realize it.

For example, early in his ministry he talks about people would have to endure tobacco juice on the floor of churches (even in the seats at times) and how it was a hindrance to people hearing the sermons. Apparently folk thought nothing of chewing in the meeting house. People could not concentrate on God for worrying if they were about to put their hand in it. He speaks of women asking for a stool to kneel down and pray as not to be kneeling in the messy floor. In time, 'tobacco use' would be preached as a serious sin as it was poor stewardship to waste God's money on the stuff. This filtered down into the mid 20th century to be the primary evidence of conversion- that one quit smoking. You might ask them- did you get saved? Yes! I quit smoking right afterwards. Seems to me that smoking is a serious health problem- but it is the things that come out of a man that truly defile him- not what goes in. What he eats or smokes can potentially kill him/her; but what hath defiled them in God's eyes?

My point is- when men try to play God they do God a serious disservice. Who knows what controversy God has with a person save the person in question. The Judaizers thought that the people needed to go through all manor of Jewish customs to be saved- yet God has His own criteria.

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/6/6 10:04Profile

Re: "I'm not finished with him yet"

I think we have this terrible defficiency of looking at things the way they are today and thinking they will be that way forever, especially when we look at "others". God holds only one day of final importance, our last day. Jesus said that those who come late in the day get the same wage as those who began early. God is not in a hurry and can easily wait a life time for someone to become totally His. Everything that happens along the way sets the stage for that final moment of saving faith that puts the person in eternal bliss with God at the very last moment. Oh what a victory in that old rugged cross. What a jewel for the Crown of the Master. How easily we just right people off and go on. How unscriptural such a practice is. God never gives up, we should not either.

2005/6/6 11:58
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
How easily we just right people off and go on. How unscriptural such a practice is. God never gives up, we should not either.

Amen and amen! It has amazed me to see how that when so many did not repent at the hearing of the word of repentance that God has now directed me and others to begin ministering a word that still extends the hand of God's grace though many grossly failed God when they would not hear. it's not over with the word of repentance rejected. Some people went into their sin and were literally beaten down by it and are in need of a message of grace [i]now[/i]. They were warned and now they are suffering. Has God given up? God forbid! The message goes on and God will still meet them where they are.

What an encouraging word Lahry! His mercy endures forever!

God Bless,

-Robert

2005/6/6 12:06Profile

Re: Glory to God, Robert.

Christian brotherly hugs to you, my brother. Thank you for the kind words of encouragement.

2005/6/6 13:29
TonyS

Kansas City, Missouri

Re:

Lahry,

you wrote:

[i]"How easily we just right people off and go on. How unscriptural such a practice is. God never gives up, we should not either."[/i]

Right on Bro.

I thank God every day of my life that there were those who did not “write me off”. There were family and friends who were disgusted with me, disappointed , saddened, hurt, left with many questions as to how and why, but even in this there have been those who have literally lived what you have written and refused to give up on a brother and sister in Christ.

Some sound advice could be to those who find themselves in a pit is to “stop digging” help is on the way. Personally my wife and I cannot stomach anymore messages from the self-appointed prophets of late who would keep us locked in bondage, Christ hath set us free and we now have all the liberty that the Cross affords us. When and if it becomes Christ + anything, flee from it without hesitation.

In our opinion, there are so many dear saints young and elderly alike who are drowning in the Mon-Fri rat race, and they as we simply cannot take any religious rat-race to boot.

That we may know Him, and the power of His resurrection !!!

Blessings,
Tony&dawn

p.s
We are thinking about coming down for Thanksgiving camp meeting maybe we could meet up, I presume you are still in Baton Rouge?

2005/6/6 13:40Profile
Nellie

Re:

How right you are, Lahry.
There was an 80 year old man that got saved, a few weeks ago, and God had him tell his wife
that he believed he would go on Home, if it was ok with her.
He saw the Glory.
Once you see and taste the Glory, you won't ever be satisfied. You only want more of Him who died to set us free.
I sing and play the guitar at the Nursing Homes, and people are getting saved there.
His mercy endures forever.
To God be all the Glory, Honor, and Praise.
Nellie :-)

2005/6/6 14:54Profile

Re: Can you feel it?

Can you feel the joy of His presence swelling up in this thread? Alleluia.
Amen, Nellie. God bless you real good today.

Tony and Dawn, I'd love to meet you if you come down to Camp Meeting. My wife and I would really enjoy that. So do let me know.

My email address is:

lahry4u@yahoo.com

Be sure to let me know where you will be stayig and we will make it our business to see you.

Christian hugs all around.

2005/6/6 18:07
Spitfire

Re: The Seeker Whom Jesus Refused to Save

Quote:
We evangelicals have been explaining salvation by choosing only certain Bible quotes, while neglecting the heart of the matter. We have been eager to save people, but we have miserably failed to make FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST. There are countless Christians around who believe they are saved because they were told so by spiritual leaders. However, really they have never become FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST because in their hearts they never surrendered their worldly securities.

Diane, this is what happened to me. I've come to know him now. It cost me everything and it's so worth it! Love, Dian

2005/6/6 18:09Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy