SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Quotes by Jim Elliott

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread

Quotes by Jim Elliott

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.”

“When the time comes to die, make sure that all you have to do is die!”

“Wherever you are, be all there! Live to the hilt every situation you believe to be the will of God.”

“Forgive me for being so ordinary while claiming to know so extraordinary a God.”

“God always gives his best to those who leave the choice with him”

“Let not our longing slay the appetite of our living.”

“Lord, give me firmness without hardness, steadfastness without dogmatism, love without weakness.”

“I pray for you, that all your misgivings will be melted to thanksgivings. Remember that the shadow a thing casts often far exceeds the size of the thing itself (especially if the light be low on the horizon) and though some future fear may strut brave darkness as you approach, the thing itself will be but a speck when seen from beyond. Oh that He would restore us often with that 'aspect from beyond,' to see a thing as He sees it, to remember that He dealeth with us as with sons.”

“The will of God is always a bigger thing than we bargain for, but we must believe that whatever it involves, it is good, acceptable and perfect.”

“Lord, make my way prosperous not that I achieve high station, but that my life be an exhibit to the value of knowing God.”

“Oh, the fullness, pleasure, sheer excitement of knowing God on earth!”

“Wherever you are - be all there.”

“If we are the sheep of His pasture, remember that sheep are headed for the altar.”

“It makes me boil when I think of the power we profess and the utter impotency of our action. Believers who know one-tenth as much as we do are doing one-hundred times more for God, with His blessing and our criticism. Oh if I could write it, preach it, say it, paint it, anything at all, if only God's power would become known among us.”

“Father, make of me a crisis man. Bring those I contact to decision. Let me not be a milepost on a single road; make me a fork, that men must turn one way or another on facing Christ in me.”

“We are so utterly ordinary, so commonplace, while we profess to know a Power the Twentieth Century does not reckon with. But we are "harmless," and therefore unharmed. We are spiritual pacifists, non-militants, conscientious objectors in this battle-to-the-death with principalities and powers in high places. Meekness must be had for contact with men, but brass, outspoken boldness is required to take part in the comradeship of the Cross. We are "sideliners" -- coaching and criticizing the real wrestlers while content to sit by and leave the enemies of God unchallenged. The world cannot hate us, we are too much like its own. Oh that God would make us dangerous!”

2016/11/6 20:10

Re: Quotes by Jim Elliott

It brings me to tears reading these quotes!! I hear the sincere love for Jesus and for the Brethren because of the trials and persecutions they faced. Lord, please give believers in America hearts like this beginning with me!! I don't see any quotes where theres a tearing down of other believers...rather a sincere love to provoke one another to good works.

May the Lord Jesus Christ stir our hearts to TRULY LOVE the way He does.

2016/11/6 20:36

Re: Quotes by Jim Elliott

If we truly believe our battle is against principalities and powers and not against people, then why so much contention and grumbling among the body? I ask this with tears and a broken heart... This quote is powerful and one worth chewing on....

“We are so utterly ordinary, so commonplace, while we profess to know a Power the Twentieth Century does not reckon with. But we are "harmless," and therefore unharmed. We are spiritual pacifists, non-militants, conscientious objectors in this battle-to-the-death with principalities and powers in high places. Meekness must be had for contact with men, but brass, outspoken boldness is required to take part in the comradeship of the Cross. We are "sideliners" -- coaching and criticizing the real wrestlers while content to sit by and leave the enemies of God unchallenged. The world cannot hate us, we are too much like its own. Oh that God would make us dangerous!”
~Jim Elliott

2016/11/6 21:12

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy