SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified

1 Corinthians 2:1-5
1 And I, brethren, when I came to you, did not come with excellence of speech or of wisdom declaring to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness, in fear, and in much trembling. 4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.

About eight years ago, my husband and I decided to attend a Messianic congregation, as we had not been to one. We had come back from a backslidden life and wanted to truly know Christ and Him crucified. Our hopes in this congregation would be to dig into the Word of God, gain an understanding of the Jewishness of our Lord, so we could understand the scriptures better. I had formerly come out of the prosperity movement, the UPC, and other confusing denominations.

We weren't prepared for what we would encounter during the next several years.
The leadership taught the Jewishness of our Lord, and a large part of the congregation wanted to literally conform everything to Judaism...which confused me greatly. At the time, I didn't have a good understanding of the scriptures...even now, there's so much I don't understand, yet learning to rightly divide the Word of God. Im not mature in the Lord, mostly a toddler, so please bear with me.

Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. That's all.

The more we got involved in this congregation, the more uncomfortable I felt inside. I couldn't understand it, even felt badly. The bible says that deception will grow in the the last days, and if possible even the elect could be deceived, therefore it's crucial to study to show ourselves approved, rightly diving the Word of Truth.

I do not have anything against those who worship in Messianic congregations, nor do I support what is known as replacement theology. What deeply concerned us were these beliefs we were introduced to...in no particular order....(note: leadership did not hold to the things listed below, rather a good part of the congregation did...but the leadership didn't want confrontation, so it was tolerated to a certain degree.

1) the need to hide the cross behind the star of David so it would not offend any new Jewish believers.

2) the need to be Torah observant.

3) The New Testament is not to be trusted because it was originally written in Hebrew., therefore since we do not have the accurate writings, we must hold to the Old Testament mostly.

4) We are not under a New covenant, we are under a renewed covenant.

5) Everything the Church is practicing came from a pagan source. We must conform to the Jewish way, known as the Hebrew Roots movement.

6) Its important to call Jesus by His appropriate name, Yeshua. (Some in the congregation actually believe that the name Jesus means "hail Zeus")

7) Its better to use as many Hebrew words as possible to make everything authentic.

8) You must follow the feasts, sabbaths, and dietary laws

9) The book of James in the New Testament should should be called "Jacob" because King James changed it to his name.

10) You need to use a Jewish bible, not KJV.

11) You need to face east towards Jerusalem to pray.

These are just some of the things that were heavily pushed on us. I was so confused for a few years. Finally, I stopped going to that congregation, got alone with the Lord, and studied the Word of God concerning these things so I could truly find out what was acceptable to God. The more I learn, the more I find I don't know. As Paul said, I do not have fancy words. Its enough to know Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

One day while listening to a message, I heard the wisest words....

"Study the Word of God diligently without a denominational filter". So that is what Ive been doing. If anything, after reading about the churches in the book of revelation, it stood out that those who endured persecution pleased the Lord.

As I read testimony after testimony of brothers and sisters who endured persecution, they all had a commonality...Jesus Christ and Him crucified! They didn't allow denomination to get in the way of simplicity in Christ. They had fervent love for Jesus and one another. The most important thing they had in common was to share the gospel no matter the cost. This is exactly what I read in the New Testament!

When you study the Word without a denominational filter, oh, oh, oh.....what stands out is amazing! Im called to suffer with Jesus in this temporal body, because this life is only a vapor. Eternity is forever. Worship isn't about a certain formula, method, or the building you meet in. Worship is everyday living. Because Jesus lives in us! In us! You shall know the Truth and the Truth shall make you free. Im finally free...a toddler in Christ, still growing, but free! He will always be my Jesus.

I long to fellowship with those who are so hungry for the Lord, not only online, but in person. Im so heart broken to see divisions over petty things. Jesus has to be center or there will always be error that creeps in. Jesus Christ and Him crucified. Paul the apostle, knowing the Word of God, being a Pharisee..a Hebrew of Hebrews....knew the only thing that truly mattered is Jesus Christ and Him crucified. If Paul was to boast in anything, it would be in his infirmities..in his weaknesses.

I truly appreciate you all at SI. Praise God we can meet online. May the Lord count us all worthy to escape what is to come and to stand before Him. Let us continue to exhort one another all the more as we see the Day approaching.To love Jesus with our whole beings and to love one another fervently. The love of many is growing cold. May the Lord make us fiery hot in our love...even to the point of laying down our lives for one another. The Lord bless you all.

2016/11/5 14:05
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him cruci

Amen sister Sherri,

We count everything loss for the excellence of knowing Christ!

Blessings,

2016/11/5 16:07Profile
Jasmine

Re: For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him cruci

^5 sherri2...Yes

2016/11/5 17:34Profile

Re:

This is why I do not conform to Judaism...the scriptures answer for me...

Galatians 214 But when I saw that they were not straightforward about the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter before them all, “If you, being a Jew, live in the manner of Gentiles and not as the Jews, why do you compel Gentiles to live as Jews? 15 We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, 16 knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law but by faith in Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, that we might be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law; for by the works of the law no flesh shall be justified.

17 “But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is Christ therefore a minister of sin? Certainly not!

18 For if I build again those things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.

19 For I through the law died to the law that I might live to God. 20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”

Galatians 4: Now I say that the heir, as long as he is a child, does not differ at all from a slave, though he is master of all, 2 but is under guardians and stewards until the time appointed by the father.

3 Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world.

4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.

6 And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” 7 Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.

8 But then, indeed, when you did not know God, you served those which by nature are not gods.

9 But now after you have known God, or rather are known by God, how is it that you turn again to the weak and beggarly elements, to which you desire again to be in bondage?

10 You observe days and months and seasons and years. 11 I am afraid for you, lest I have labored for you in vain.

12 Brethren, I urge you to become like me, for I became like you. You have not injured me at all. 13 You know that because of physical infirmity I preached the gospel to you at the first. 14 And my trial which was in my flesh you did not despise or reject, but you received me as an angel of God, even as Christ Jesus. 15 What[c] then was the blessing you enjoyed? For I bear you witness that, if possible, you would have plucked out your own eyes and given them to me. 16 Have I therefore become your enemy because I tell you the truth?

17 They zealously court you, but for no good; yes, they want to exclude you, that you may be zealous for them. 18 But it is good to be zealous in a good thing always, and not only when I am present with you. 19 My little children, for whom I labor in birth again until Christ is formed in you, 20 I would like to be present with you now and to change my tone; for I have doubts about you.

21 Tell me, you who desire to be under the law, do you not hear the law? 22 For it is written that Abraham had two sons: the one by a bondwoman, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born according to the flesh, and he of the freewoman through promise, 24 which things are symbolic. For these are the two covenants: the one from Mount Sinai which gives birth to bondage, which is Hagar— 25 for this Hagar is Mount Sinai in Arabia, and corresponds to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children— 26 but the Jerusalem above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27 For it is written:

“Rejoice, O barren,
You who do not bear!
Break forth and shout,
You who are not in labor!
For the desolate has many more children
Than she who has a husband.”
28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are children of promise. 29 But, as he who was born according to the flesh then persecuted him who was born according to the Spirit, even so it is now. 30 Nevertheless what does the Scripture say? “Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman.”

31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman but of the free.

2016/11/5 19:45
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

If we ask 100 Christians what is wrong with the church today, we might get 100 different answers. But where on earth did anyone get the idea that the root problem is that we Gentiles are not Jewish enough?

2016/11/5 22:37Profile

Re:

Thank you sherri2 for sharing this.
There are probably many many different congregations and denominations out there today that have somehow lost the true focus and meaning of the Gospel as taught in Scripture and preached by the Apostles and the Early Church.
I don't want to comment on any of those denominations but rather point to Christ as you already have
If we are truly in Him we are a new creation with a new citizenship.
"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.
The old has passed away. Behold, the new has come!" (2 Corinthians 5:17 )
If the old has truly passed away, then we shouldn't dwell on our past any longer but rather be thankful that we are now "in Him"

Quotes: "they all had a commonality...Jesus Christ and Him crucified! "
May I just add here, I'm sure you know, He died - and rose again - and we serve a risen Savior ! All of Calvary is
important.

"I long to fellowship with those who are so hungry for the Lord, not only online, but in person. Im so heart broken to see divisions over petty things. Jesus has to be center
Let us continue to exhort one another all the more as we see the Day approaching.To love Jesus with our whole beings and to love one another fervently." Amen.

I have seen us going round in circles here on SI with some topics, it reminded me often of the Wilderness experience.
I often wondered if I should continue to contribute.But I'm glad to find encouragement as in this thread.
When I was in Herrnhut, in Germany, I learned that Zinsendorf was first "appalled at the divisions between churches and hungered to unite the different factions in a spiritual peace."
True unity came eventually through Christ and His love and many blessings followed.
They wanted that "the Lamb that was slain may receive the reward of His suffering!"
The "root problem " is we are moving away from Christ in many different directions.

"Though I am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ", (Ephesians 3:8 )

Blessings!

2016/11/5 23:40

Re:

"If we ask 100 Christians what is wrong with the church today, we might get 100 different answers. But where on earth did anyone get the idea that the root problem is that we Gentiles are not Jewish enough? "

Amen brother, well said.

The biggest problem with the "church" imho is that so many think they are right about everything and as such they are unable to fellowship with those who are less right or less perfect as them. In gaining true knowledge and insight it has gone to their head and they now stand aloof and able to see every single thing wrong with everyone else. This puts them in an untenable predicament of not being able to "stand" all the faults and failings and different doctrines and practices of those around them. So they isolate themselves and become elitist and spiritually proud. Too good or too pure to be tainted by anyone else.

While it is true that their knowledge is of the highest order, unfortunately they have forgotten that knowledge puffeth up.

Btw, I am not aiming this post at anyone on SI or on this thread.

2016/11/6 1:25
wayneman

Michigan

Re:

My first encounter with the Hebrew Roots/True Names movement was bewildering. A lady sent me a message stating that Hallelujah is "an abomination before the Lord." It is supposed to be spelled Halleluyah.

Looking at the bright side, we are only having this discussion because so many Jews are coming to Jesus these days. For centuries "Messianic Jews" were virtually unheard of. But Paul would have no more sympathy with modern Judaizers than he did with first century Judaizers.

"For I determined not to know anything among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified." That goes to the heart of the matter. It goes to the heart of everything. The preaching of the cross is what is missing from the modern gospel. It is the cross that brings us totally beyond the realm of religion and names and pronunciations and feasts and festivals. Now we serve God "in the newness of the spirit, not in the oldness of the letter."

2016/11/6 7:39Profile
Elibeth

Re:

markuskiwi,
You said:
"I have seen us going round in circles on SI with some topics,
it reminded me of the wilderness experence.
I often wondered if I should continue to contribute."....

Please continue, markuskiwi,..
I have been encouraged by your input here,....the depth that you bring here.

Also Sherri,...
I so,appreciate your post,..the depth,..the desire to know Truth, and to share....thank you.

Blessings,

-------------------
elizabeth

2016/11/6 10:37Profile

Amen Brother William.

Markuskiwi, thank you for your words of encouragement. Yes, forgetting what is behind and pressing forward to what is ahead. It is Christ and Him crucified AND resurrected! Amen! Please continue to share. We need to encourage one another in these final days.

Sister Elizabeth, thank you for the encouragement.

Brother Wayne, you said, "Looking at the bright side, we are only having this discussion because so many Jews are coming to Jesus these days."
Praise God for that!

I didn't share the experiences my husband and I had to bash anyone at all, rather to stand for the Truth, but now to forget what is behind and press forward to what is ahead. There is no way we can know the hearts of others, or their intentions. We can only know by their fruit. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.

This is a good reminder for me and worth memorizing...

James 3:13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter envy and self-seeking in your hearts, do not boast and lie against the truth. 15 This wisdom does not descend from above, but is earthly, sensual, demonic. 16 For where envy and self-seeking exist, confusion and every evil thing are there. 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy. 18 Now the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace

2016/11/6 11:53

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy