SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Why I Don’t Celebrate Halloween by Sandeep Poonen

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Why I Don’t Celebrate Halloween by Sandeep Poonen

One of my children recently came home reciting this rhyme learned while at school. “Witches, ghosts, and goblins, walking down the street Knock on every doorway, ‘Trick or treat!’”

I was shocked by how my child, in all innocence, could sing so casually and trivially about such scary things. I also noticed that this song grouped ghost and goblins which are not real, with witches. I realized that this song sought to group witches into that same silly, not-real category.

Some people think of witches as women with pointed-hats and a broom, or witch-doctors in a jungle. But there is a very active and fast-growing religion called Wicca, where its witches (and wizards) seek to cast spells. Wicca is not some ancient Gaelic religion from the middle ages. It is an active religion practiced across the world today, and very present in the areas where many of us live. Some statistics indicate that Wicca is one of the fastest-growing religions in the U.S.A.

And here is what Wikipedia says about Wicca and Halloween:
Wiccans celebrate a variation of Samhain (October 31) as one of the yearly Sabbats of the Wheel of the Year. It is deemed by most Wiccans to be the most important of the four "greater Sabbats". Samhain is seen by some Wiccans as a time to celebrate the lives of those who have died, and it often involves paying respect to ancestors, family members, elders of the faith, friends, pets and other loved ones who have died. In some rituals the spirits of the dead are invited to attend the festivities. It is seen as a festival of darkness, which is balanced at the opposite point of the wheel by the spring festival of Beltane, which Wiccans celebrate as a festival of light and fertility. Wiccans believe that at Samhain the veil between this world and the afterlife is at its thinnest point of the whole year, making it easier to communicate with those who have left this world.

As Christians, we must be careful that practices from the religious festivals of Wicca do not influence us in any way. We do not find Hindus mixing the practices of Muslims in their festivals that honor Vishnu. Neither do we find Muslims adopting the practices of Hindus in their celebration of Ramadan. Different religions believe very different things, and have different practices.

The Bible is very clear that witchcraft is real and powerful and also evil (Read Revelation 21:8; 1 Samuel 15:23; Deuteronomy 18:10-13; Isaiah 8:19; and 1 Chronicles 10:13-14).

As Christians, we know that there are powers of darkness in the spirit world. So what must we do when the world trivializes what the Bible describes as evil? It should trouble us deeply. And even more so when we see the god of this world system (the devil) seeking to influence our highly-impressionable children, and to write his values into their minds.

When I later told all my children that Jesus instructed us to have nothing to do with witches, a response I got was stunning: “But there are good witches, Dad!” That was also something that had been picked up from school!! This un-Biblical point of view had slipped in. So I realized that I had to stand guard against the dangerously-deceptive logic of this world system.

There is no such thing as a “good witch” for Christians. The Bible tells us that God alone is good and that witchcraft is evil. Good and evil are polar opposites. So a “good witch” is just the devil coming as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14). Christians must have no contact even remotely with witchcraft in any form, because it will open them up to the god of this world (the devil) – and he is far shrewder than all men. Only the Holy Spirit can help a Christian against the tactics of Satan. All our good intentions will not help us, if we disobey the Scriptures. So no matter how good we may think we are (and no matter how sincere we may be), we can still be destroyed if we don’t hate all evil and stay far away from it (See Proverbs 14:12).

The Western world’s view of Halloween is greatly influenced by the religious values of Wicca. Halloween is a celebration of darkness in the world today. A walk down my neighborhood or a visit to the local grocery store around Halloween time readily confirms this. The world is preaching a Halloween that aligns itself with Wicca.

Western culture today seeks to make witches and witchcraft seem normal. Whether with the concept of good witches, or the wildly-popular Harry Potter novels/movies, Western culture is increasingly accepting of witchcraft. And the fun and carefree festival of Halloween acts as a perfect springboard to aid in this acceptance. I am convinced that Halloween is the “fun gateway” that Satan has opened for people to eventually dabble in the spiritually-evil practices of witchcraft.

So what must we Christians do with a holiday that another religion celebrates as the “festival of darkness”?

As Bible-believing Christians, we give freedom to other religions to do as they see fit. But we must not associate with evil, in any way. We must live with great discernment in our time – because deception is increasing everywhere (See 2 Timothy 3:13). We must nip the normalization of witchcraft early on and stand strong against every attempt of the devil to slip this religion of Wicca into our homes.

When another religion celebrates darkness and focuses on communicating with dead spirits, what does the Lord expect us to do? Can we just go along with the external fun of this holiday, when we know that at its core, this is a festival that explicitly glorifies the powers of darkness and the enemy of our souls?

The devil has masterfully sought to rebrand Halloween as harmless, so that he can encourage people into the blatant pursuit of evil. He did the same thing when he got Adam and Eve to sin (Genesis 3:1-6). October 31st is a day where darkness is openly and blatantly pursued. But many “Christians” drown themselves on that day in an ocean of candy and dress-up costumes. This is textbook-deception: Satan is saying, “I’ll numb you with candy and gifts on Halloween, so that you are distracted from fighting the spiritual havoc I am causing through the glorification and open practice of witchcraft! And eventually, I will rob you even of eternal life.” (Eternal life being the increasing knowledge of God and of Jesus – John 17:3).

I am convinced that only one group of people can fight these supernatural powers of darkness: Christians who walk in the Light of God’s Word alone are uniquely equipped to overcome these forces (1 John 1:3,7)!

So let the world call us narrow-minded or radical. We will remain alert and watchful against all deception. And we will teach our children also to be alert to these Satanic deceptions (even if their friends at school laugh at them or consider them weird). Satan seeks to work on children, slowly and craftily over the years, to the point where they will become increasingly comfortable with open darkness and evil. Our children need to learn from an early age how to combat Satan’s deceptions; and our children are watching us, their parents, to see how we do it!

What shall we say then to Christians who want to celebrate Halloween? At a minimum, I would suggest that you clearly determine why and how you celebrate it. Ask yourself whether you would do things differently if you knew that your neighbors and the folks on your street were Wiccans celebrating the spirits of darkness on Halloween.

Judge yourself and ensure that you walk in the light that God gives you. That is all that you are asked to do. You will be judged based on the motives and intents of your heart, and whether you lived by your conscience.

America as a culture seems to live mostly unaware of the spirit world. I have seen that cultures that are more open to idolatry, are much more aware of the spirit world. I grew up in India, and I saw witchcraft and evil spirits several times. I even watched as a neighbor hired a witch to sit in their backyard and cast spells on us (the spells didn’t work and had an opposite effect; they served to show me the powerful protection available in Jesus Christ, who defeated Satan on the cross – Colossians 2:14-15)!

I will not be surprised if rationally-obsessed people laugh off my thoughts about the spirit world. But that world is real and more powerful than most people imagine. And I don’t base this statement on my own experience. The Bible is crystal clear about it. Our Lord Jesus drove out evil spirits from people more than anyone else did.

If I succeed in getting you to honor Jesus Christ on October 31st in a bigger way than before, then I would have achieved my primary purpose in writing this.

May God open your eyes more and more to these realities in the spirit world.

2016/10/29 5:08Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: Why I Don’t Celebrate Halloween by Sandeep Poonen

"What shall we say then to Christians who want to celebrate Halloween?"

Wake up!
Grow up!
Remember Whose you are!

...is that too harsh? :)

2016/10/29 5:41Profile

John 17:14-16 I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world. My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, even as I am not of it.

John 15:19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

John 8:22-24 So the Jews said, “Will he kill himself, since he says, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come’?” He said to them, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world. I told you that you would die in your sins, for unless you believe that I am he you will die in your sins.”

1 John 4:5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them.

1 John 5:19 We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.

John 16:11 Judgment will come because the ruler of this world has already been judged.

John 12:31 The time for judging this world has come, when Satan, the ruler of this world, will be cast out.

1 John 4:4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world.

1 Thessalonians 5:22 abstain from every form of evil.

Romans 12:1-2 Therefore, I urge you brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

James 4:4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

1 John 2:15-17 Do not love this world nor the things it offers you, for when you love the world, you do not have the love of the Father in you. For the world offers only a craving for physical pleasure, a craving for everything we see, and pride in our achievements and possessions. These are not from the Father, but are from this world. And this world is fading away, along with everything that people crave. But anyone who does what pleases God will live forever.

John 18:36 Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.”

Philippians 3:20 But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ.

Matthew 16:26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.“

Ephesians 6:12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

2 Corinthians 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

1 Peter 2:11-12 Dear friends, I warn you as “temporary residents and foreigners” to keep away from worldly desires that wage war against your very souls. Be careful to live properly among your unbelieving neighbors. Then even if they accuse you of doing wrong, they will see your honorable behavior, and they will give honor to God when he judges the world.

Matthew 5:13-16 You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot. You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

Ephesians 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.

Colossians 3:1-7
1 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2 Set your mind on the things above, not on the things that are on earth. 3 For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.

5 Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry. 6 For it is because of these things that the wrath of God will come upon the sons of disobedience, 7 and in them you also once walked, when you were living in them.

1 Samuel 15:23 “For rebellion is as the sin of divination,
And insubordination is as iniquity and idolatry.
Because you have rejected the word of the Lord,
He has also rejected you from being king.”

2016/10/29 12:33
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I am not recommending Halloween, but I will say that I have nothing but fond memories of it.

One of the earliest halloweens I remember was at my grandmas house in Indiana. Mind you, my grandma was one of the truest Christians I have ever known in word and deed and faith. So is my mother. So don't waste your time telling me they were pandering to the devil by letting me trick or treat.

Anyways, trick or treating at grandmas house involved driving to other dear Christian friends and relatives homes because she lived in the country. I got popcorn balls and other cool stuff. Then there was a little Halloween party in the basement of her Grace Brethren church where there was a costume contest, bobbing for apples etc. fun! I remember I was dressed as a Frankenstein and my mom put dark socks over my tennis shoes to make it look like I was wearing boots. Not sure how effective it was, but it was the thought that counts.

I continued to trick or treat through elementary years with my bro and sis and other friends including our GARBC baptist church friends. Never attended any black masses, never sacrificed a cat, etc. never even played with a Ouija board or burned a wicker man.

It was just a fun thing to do and get some free candy. But I was weird. I like candy like sweet tarts and pixie sticks instead of chocolate. Made some good trades in the day.

One again I am not recommending Halloween. I understand there is a dark side to it if someone wants there to be.

So by all means don't take your kids trick or treating, or trunk or treating like almost every baptist church in my area is hosting.

2016/10/30 18:58Profile
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

What is meant by celebrating Halloween? Does it mean dressing up and ghouls and doing the trick or treat thing? What about dressing up as bible characters? What about handing out candy along with a Gospel tract attached to it? (that is what I do)

2016/10/30 20:32Profile
Annie77

Australia

Re:

While I was reading article I was thinking what should I do if kids come to our house.
What a great idea!! Giving them Gospel tracts with sweets.

God bless you brother John and your wisdom -turning to oppotunity to share Gospel.

2016/10/30 22:02Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Hi brother Todd,

Here in South Africa we never grew up with it so I apologize for my earlier comment which may have been made a bit hastily :)

And yes, to the pure all things are pure......

I guess its the same thing with Christmas celebrations, depends what you make of it.
We do change though as we learn more about the history of the things we do and start to question the reasonableness of it etc etc.

2016/10/31 3:05Profile
wijnand

The question for 'american christianity' is pretty simple: "do I follow the bible or what the culture/people are saying"

I am amazed about so many reactions on subjects like these. Reactions like "I know a brother that is a spiritual man that does this" or "but spurgeon says/does.." etc. But they are not the standard... the bible is.

Well let's look at halloween: it's a feast of darkness (very clearly). Should we "enjoy" or "celebrate" such a feast? Of course not, that is not a very difficult question if you just read your bible. Why is there even a discussion about this? The bible is incredible clear about things like this, right?

The problem at this moment is that everything that is accepted in America is becoming more and more accepted in other countries like mine country (the Netherlands). Sin is coming but the 'church' is not recognizing it at all... we are allowing it into our houses (movies, music, magazines, books), and on many other places. Is it not time to really break with these things?

Some may call me legelist, but would you also say that to Paul (the apostle)? He is very clear on these matters.. and what about John, Peter, James? And what about Jesus? And what about Moses, etc.

2016/10/31 4:12Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Like I said I wouldn't recommend Halloween but to accuse parents (including many many Christian parents) who allow their young ones to trick or treat of consorting with the devil is a tad of an over-reaction. The little princesses and pirates in the neighborhood are just having well supervised fun.

But then again princesses suggest glamour and wealth and pirates were murdering marauders. Never mind.

2016/10/31 9:18Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Quote: "Well let's look at halloween: it's a feast of darkness (very clearly). Should we "enjoy" or "celebrate" such a feast? Of course not, that is not a very difficult question if you just read your bible. Why is there even a discussion about this?"

I wanted to address this specifically, because it contains a false assumption, namely that everyone who participates in Halloween is celebrating a "feast of darkness."

To celebrate a feast of darkness there has to be intent. If a Christian is celebrating feasts of darkness and Wiccan and pagan practices purposefully then they are not Christians.

2016/10/31 9:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy