SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : The Missionary's Message

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

The Missionary's Message

He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the whole world. —1 John 2:2

The key to the missionary’s message is the propitiation of Christ Jesus— His sacrifice for us that completely satisfied the wrath of God. Look at any other aspect of Christ’s work, whether it is healing, saving, or sanctifying, and you will see that there is nothing limitless about those. But— “The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!”— that is limitless (John 1:29). The missionary’s message is the limitless importance of Jesus Christ as the propitiation for our sins, and a missionary is someone who is immersed in the truth of that revelation.
The real key to the missionary’s message is the “remissionary” aspect of Christ’s life, not His kindness, His goodness, or even His revealing of the fatherhood of God to us. “…repentance and remission of sins should be preached…to all nations…” (Luke 24:47). The greatest message of limitless importance is that “He Himself is the propitiation for our sins….” The missionary’s message is not nationalistic, favoring nations or individuals; it is “for the whole world.” When the Holy Spirit comes into me, He does not consider my partialities or preferences; He simply brings me into oneness with the Lord Jesus.
A missionary is someone who is bound by marriage to the stated mission and purpose of his Lord and Master. He is not to proclaim his own point of view, but is only to proclaim “the Lamb of God.” It is easier to belong to a faction that simply tells what Jesus Christ has done for me, and easier to become a devotee of divine healing, or of a special type of sanctification, or of the baptism of the Holy Spirit. But Paul did not say, “Woe is me if I do not preach what Christ has done for me,” but, “…woe is me if I do not preach the gospel!” (1 Corinthians 9:16). And this is the gospel— “the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!”

Oswald Chambers
My Utmost For His Highest

2016/10/15 5:08Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

Re: The Missionary's Message

Started the day with this, too. He is always spot on.

Being spot on comes at a price - unconditional surrender and obedience not to the law but to Christ who is the fulfillment of the law.

2016/10/15 8:09Profile
StirItUp

Re:

Amen.

Oswald summed it up so beautifully.

We are all missionaries in our sphere of influence. May we have absolute clarity regarding our message to the world, and stay away from vain arguments about controversial subjects which are not ultimately helpful.

Blessings,

2016/10/15 13:49Profile
BranchinVINE

Australia

Re:

William said:

“May we ……… stay away from vain arguments about controversial subjects which are not ultimately helpful.”

I agree.

It is not whether we believe in this or that but just this:

“Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved”. (Acts 16:31)

“This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.” (1 John 3:23 NASB)

We may have many right doctrines but will the Lord still say to us “I never knew you...”? (Matt. 7:21-23, Luke 13:27)

To have eternal life is to KNOW Christ:

"This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” (John 17:3 NASB)

To know Christ is to know Him IN us:

“and I have made Your name known to them, and will make it known, so that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them." (John 17:26 NASB)

To Know Christ is to be united with Him in His death and His resurrection:

“More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; in order that I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.” (Phil. 3:8-11 NASB)

If some of our doctrines on peripheral issues are wrong, they will just be the wood and hay and straw that will be burnt away and our salvation will not be affected. But if we do not have the sure foundation which is Jesus Christ we will not be able to build with the gold and silver and precious stones that last forever to the glory of God. (1 Cor. 3:11-15)

So,

“… I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.” (1 Cor. 2:2 NASB)

“fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (Heb. 12:2)

“In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace” (Eph. 1:7 NASB).

“… God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.” (Eph. 2:4-7)

“To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood--and He has made us to be a kingdom, priests to His God and Father-- to Him be the glory and the dominion forever and ever. Amen.” (Rev. 1:5-6 NASB)

2016/10/16 0:28Profile

Re:

This topic is most important if we want to see revival.
Quote: "We are all missionaries in our sphere of influence. May we have absolute clarity regarding our message to the world, and stay away from vain arguments about controversial subjects " - Amen!

Recently I was able to visit Herrnhut in Germany.
Interesting to read what happened there:
"Zinzendorf was appalled at the divisions between churches and hungered to unite the different factions in a spiritual peace.

Herrnhut had become a gathering place for many religious exiles. These spoke different languages and had differing customs. Creeds varied. Lutherans, Schwenkfelders, Separatists, Reformed and Brethren lived side by side. Squabbles developed. Zinzendorf found himself moving from home to home speaking with families of their spiritual need. The people began to study the Bible, hold all-night prayer vigils and confess their sins one to another. Zinzendorf established "bands," groups of two, three or more who would encourage each other spiritually. Plans were drawn up to reorganize and unify the community. A sense of expectancy grew.

On August 13, 1727, at a baptism and communion service, the Holy Spirit moved through the room. Differences dissolved. All embraced one another in forgiveness and a spirit of love. Christ became central to their thinking. They established a twenty-four hour around-the-clock prayer vigil which lasted one hundred years. The fervent prayers resulted in the sending out of missionaries to many lands--the first Protestant missions outside Europe and North America "

(from Dan Graves, MSL, Moravians at Herrnhut, )

Paul wrote:
Though I am less than the least of all the saints, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, 9and to illuminate for everyone the stewardship of this mystery, which for ages past was hidden in God, who created all things.…(Ephesians 3:8,9

2016/10/16 2:29
StirItUp

Re:

Thank you Jade and Markus for your posts.

It is so easy to miss the wood for the trees. To be caught up in all the scriptures and miss the central message: Jesus Christ and Him crucified.

Quote: “To Him who loves us and released us from our sins by His blood--"

Man's ultimate need and God's perfect solution.

In the end that remains the most important question to all men and women:

" Have you washed away your sins in the blood of Jesus Christ? "

It truly is the difference between Life and death, eternally!

Blessings,

2016/10/16 4:21Profile
saintchaser

Re: Devotional Thoughts

Doctrine has a definite place and Christ said teaching all things that I have commanded you. Likewise, Paul several times told Timothy to teach sound doctrine, there is a time coming (and now is) when they won't have it.
In many of the places of assembly today the Bible isn't even given a place, and too often where and when it is read, the power of the Holy Spirit is absent.

2016/10/16 19:09Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy