SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Can God give what He does not have?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Can God give what He does not have?

I read a quote today that said "God cannot give what He does not have."

Thoughts?

2016/10/12 19:24Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: Can God give what He does not have?

....and neither can we

2016/10/12 23:25Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

What is it that God does not have? This is crazy. If God does not have it all He has to do is speak and it is His.
God is all and in all. He is Omni everything. I am Omni nothing.

2016/10/13 2:45Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Philip-

The context of the quote I read was in regard to sickness; I.e. God does not make people sick because He has no sickness to give.

Obviously there are other things that God does not have- eg, sin, injustice.

2016/10/13 7:52Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Todd, that is just not biblical reasoning. There are numerous examples in the bible where God puts sickness on a person as judgement. For one example in Revelation Jesus says He will cast Jezebel and her children (followers) on a bed of sickness.

God detroys the wicked with death, but He has no death in Him! Life and death are in His hand though, so is sickness if need be, even if He himself is not sick He has it to give!

God is the Judge of all, but He himself is not judged. Get the picture? He does not have to be subject to something in order to control it.

2016/10/13 17:33Profile
forrests

Re: Lying Spirit from God

Amen, Heydave.

"Therefore look! The Lord has put a lying spirit in the mouth of these prophets of yours, and the Lord has declared disaster against you.”
~ 2 Chronicles 18:22

2016/10/13 18:11Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

I don't disagree-I suspect the source of the quote would argue that God doesn't make people sick- that He leaves demons to do it, or people's own foolishness. The same would go with death, etc.

2016/10/13 18:15Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness - It was the great principle of the Magian religion, which prevailed in Persia in the time of Cyrus, and in which probably he was educated, that there are two supreme, co-eternal, and independent causes always acting in opposition one to the other; one the author of all good, the other of all evil. The good being they called Light; the evil being, Darkness. That when Light had the ascendant, then good and happtness prevailed among men; when Darkness had the superiority, then eviI and misery abounded. An opinion that contradicts the clearest evidence of our reason, which plainly leads us to the acknowledgment of one only Supreme Being, infinitely good as well as powerful. With reference to this absurd opinion, held by the person to whom this prophecy is addressed, God, by his prophet, in the most significant terms, asserts his omnipotence and absolute supremacy: -

"I am Jehovah, and none else;

Forming light, and creating darkness,

Making peace, and creating evil:

I Jehovah am the author of all these things."

Declaring that those powers whom the Persians held to be the original authors of good and evil to mankind, representing them by light and darkness, as their proper emblems, are no other than creatures of God, the instruments which he employs in his government of the world, ordained or permitted by him in order to execute his wise and just decrees; and that there is no power, either of good or evil, independent of the one supreme God, infinite in power and in goodness.

God is not evil, God is not darkness, but evil and darkness would not exist without His supreme power over all things.

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

This particular evil is war, which is not light but darkness and certainly not peace.

In Christ: Phillip

2016/10/14 2:27Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Philip-

Do you believe that God really creates evil, whatever form it may take?

I would add that darkness is not a "thing" to be created so obviously the verse is poetic to some degree.

2016/10/14 8:29Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

I guess that depends on what evil we are speaking of. All the plagues in Egypt to what end, are they evil or are they just forms of poetic creation. God created Satan, knowing what he would become, where does that put Isa 45: 7. If God is God and He created all things, then evil is part of all things as is darkness and light.

How could the Goodness of God be proved without evil. These are all questions that different people answer in different ways. I believe what happens with God is in His hand to reveal or not reveal to whom He wants in His timing, place as in 1 Corinthians 1:30 But ye are of Him in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption,

Are all wise, all righteous, all sanctified all redeemed?

What is the evil of wisdom, righteousness etc.

I am not willing to prove you wrong or me right, this is my spirit and soul understanding of who God is. I pray that God make right understanding and truth in us to His ways.

In Christ: Phillip

2016/10/14 20:15Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy