SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Offered-Poured Out

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DRS

Offered-Poured Out

OFFERED

"Yea, and if I be offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all."(Philippians 2:17)
"For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand."(2Timothy 4:6)

The Greek word for offered in these 2 verses is "Spendo" and it means to pour out or poured forth.This is the only 2 places that offered is translated as "spendo."
Paul is ready to pour out his blood,his life.In the first mention in Philippians,Paul stated "if"he be offered.He still was trusting in the Lord that he would be released.

"But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timotheus shortly unto you, that I also may be of good comfort, when I know your state........
But I trust in the Lord that I also myself shall come shortly."(Philippians 2:19,24)

It does appear that Paul was released for a little while,but in 2 Timothy his attitude is totally different,he is ready and the time is near.Paul knew this was it,his blood would be poured out.He knew that he wouldn't be crucified like his Lord because the Romans wouldn't put a Roman citizen as Paul was to a slow agonizing death.He would be decapitated,(his head chopped off with an axe)an instant death.But his next words reflects his faith.

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:"(2Timothy 4:7)

Even though he had all these great concerns for the church and for Timothy and for some that had left him and some deserted him,he was ready to be offered.He was confident he had finished the course God had laid out for him.
Peter also had the same attitude as Paul as he knew his death was approaching.In (2 Peter 1:12-15) we read:

"Wherefore I will not be negligent to put you always in remembrance of these things, though ye know them, and be established in the present truth.
Yea, I think it meet, as long as I am in this tabernacle, to stir you up by putting you in remembrance;
Knowing that shortly I must put off this my tabernacle, even as our Lord Jesus Christ hath shewed me.
Moreover I will endeavour that ye may be able after my decease to have these things always in remembrance."

Peter knew the death that was facing him.He would be crucified,because it seems that was what Jesus was referring to in (John 21:18,19) when he told Peter how he would die.

"Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not."
"This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me."(John 21:18,19)

Peter had known all those years since his Lord had told him and now he knew that day was approaching.Tradition tells us that Peter chose to be crucified upside down,because he felt he didn't deserve to be crucified in an upright position as his Lord was.He was to glorify God in his death and he had followed Him as the Lord had instructed him that day on the seashore.

And how could we forget our Savior's words the night before His crucifixion in that great prayer of intercession in (John 17:4),just hours before He would pour out His blood for us on the cross.

"I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do".

Yes that finished work on Calvary's cross that provided the perfect salvation we now have.
No we may not know the way of death that could be facing us,but our desire should be that it would glorify our Savior and Lord as our life we live now should glorify Him as we have the confidence that what good work He has begun in us He will perform until the Day of Jesus Christ.Oh the joy of knowing when the work He has given us to do in this life is finished we will be with Him.Oh the drudgery this life would be without that hope.The more I see this world for what it really is the more I look forward to that hope.

"Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ."(Philippians 1:6)

Then there is always our blessed hope of His coming for us and we would be part of that company that would be alive when He comes for His Church.

"Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."(1Thessalonians 4:17)

PERHAPS TODAY

2016/9/30 6:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy