SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Expressions of worship - Gregorian chant

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
docs

Expressions of worship - Gregorian chant

Several years ago I decided one morning to attend a Greek Orthodox church. I knew a couple of people who were Orthodox and I had time at that point to visit other churches. I made this visit just to increase my knowledge of how others do things and I'm not embracing all Orthodox doctrine or anything. I was suprised tjhis morning to say the least. The chanting and music and songs had an effect on me I wasn't expecting. The sanctuary was very nice and had intricately carved wood and paintings and there was a portait of Christ painted on the ceiling abobe and these things actually helped me sense the presence of God and went against what I had been taught along the lines of we don't need artwork or paintings ot stain glass in our churches. Well, we don't if we get down to bare bones but what do they hurt if they are done to honor God? Yet it was the singing that touched me the most. It had an ancient ring to it and was unlike anything I had ever heard. It was moving and beautiful and was along the lines of Gregorian type of singing. The whole service was four hours and twenty minutes long and afterward I felt as if I had been there only about twenty minutes. Things had gotten timeless and I felt as if I was moving backwards in time to worship that was unimpeded and unstained by centuries of controversy and in fighting. I guess. That's the best way I can describe it without overly laboring the point. Afterward one of the ushers noticed the look on my face and asked if I was all right. I said I am just a ordinary southern man but I had to admit I had been very moved by the beauty of the service and especially the singing. He said the songs were sung in the exact same way that they were sung 1800 years ago and had not been changed. Well I said, it worked for me and he saw a bit of tears in my eyes. This was the last thing I expected good saints and you are free to disregard my experience in this church but does any one know of this Gregorain chant? I'm betting you do but I have begun listening to it again and it works now for me just like it did then. It can be very beautfitul and uplifiting and because of the way it is sung and voiced it has been described as the music and style best suited and accomodated for worship that has ever come along. I know it may be associated with the RCC and Orthodox church but the music and its style is separate and apart from any incorrect doctrine. Couldn't a person sit down and write inspired music 1800 years ago using Gregorian chant just like people sit down today and write songs of worship using today's venue and language and style of expression? What think ye of Gregorian chant? If God was involved was part of it and it was effective then why couldn't God be inviolved in it and it be effective worship today? It seems to have a pureness to it. At times it can sound like congregations singing in tongues and I believe perhaps many individual believers and local churches could come to like it and be edified it they gave it a chance. But that's me. Does anyone have any opinions of Gregorian chant and this type of expression of worship? Not looking for controversy but just perhaps a view view points from others. I'n curious bout this.

Bless you this day as you worship your Lord.

2016/9/27 13:13Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Expressions of worship - Gregorian chant

I like a good Gregorian chant. I actually go to sleep listening to them sometimes.

The ones I listen to are sung in Latin so I don't know what they are saying. However most of the titles are Psalms so I assume they are just singing scripture. I listen to "chant" by Cistercian monks; there are also a few tracks of different cathedral bells ringing which is also very neat.

I know some folks will panic and cry "RCC" sympathizer but I am doing nothing of the sort.

I just think they are soothing and nice to listen to. As docs stated its an ancient form of music.

2016/9/27 14:27Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I enjoy listening to them too. Same reasons as Todd.

I also enjoy Radiant TV. It is similar to Reflections videos on Daystar. Radiant TV videos are available on Roku, add WLMB TV-40 out of Toledo, OH on your device (free), scroll down to Radiant TV and hit "play all". About 6 hours of almost 100 percent music videos with scriptures on scenic nature video background. Very nice way to slip off to sleepytown.

2016/9/27 16:02Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

I have 3 CD's that I listen to and it's been a little bit so I will get them out.

Thank you!

2016/9/27 16:24Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Me too!

There's just something on it that seems very sacred to me-

Also have album of the Russian State Symphony double choir singing sacred hymns a cappella that honestly sounds nothing short of angelic and has a similar effect as Gregorian chants do on me in that they take me out of this world and seem to help me focus on the majesty of God in a way that otherwise I'm not likely to experience-

2016/9/27 16:48Profile
TrueWitness

Re: I like Thomas Tallis

These put me in a serene and worshipful mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1gzYztKdFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNAFeCLDSgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5fYXDsh_YU

-Daniel

2016/9/27 16:56Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Fletcher- what is the exact name of that album? Sounds like something I would want to listen to.

2016/9/27 19:41Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Very nice, Daniel. I have never heard of Tallis. Now I have!

2016/9/27 19:44Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: brother Todd

It's called;

BORTNYANSKY
Sacred Concertos for double choir
Volume six
Russian State Symphonic
Valeri Polyansky

2016/9/27 21:59Profile
TMK