SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Godly Contentment.Can We Have It?

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
DRS

Godly Contentment.Can We Have It?

Godly Contentment.Can We Have It?

"Labour not to be rich: cease from thine own wisdom.
Wilt thou set thine eyes upon that which is not? for riches certainly make themselves wings; they fly away as an eagle toward heaven."(Proverbs 23:4-5)

"But godliness with contentment is great gain.
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content.
But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."(1Timothy 6:6-10)

It seems that these truths are just too much for this human mind to believe and digest.We desire contentment but can't seem to accept where it comes from.The world system and all it offers and dangles before our eyes and minds makes Godly contentment seem less that desirable.It seems I have to learn from experience what true contentment is rather than take God at His Word.

"If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."(Colossians 3:1-2)

This I believe is the key to Godly contentment now in this life.Paul is reminding us here that we are raised with Christ.Then based on that seek those things that are above and that is where Christ is.Set your mind on those things and to not set our mind on the things on the earth.The word for SEEK here means desiring and SET means entertaining and they both mean in a constant state.
So we should be constantly desiring and entertaining our affection or mind on the things where Christ is.The things on earth are what our 5 senses can relate to and what our feelings can surround themselves in.
The things above and where Christ is are far beyond what we can experience with the things here.I believe it has to do with not only what Heaven is like and what He has prepared for us and all He has planned for us in the future with Him but also who we are in Him now and what He has in mind for us now.
Constantly desiring and entertaining our minds with who we are in Christ which encompasses all that heaven offers makes the things of the earth so minute in importance.Just things we have to have to sustain us now in this body,but our real life is with Christ while we wait for our Savior to appear.
In a sense we are desiring and entertaining our minds with things this mind can't comprehend and that is what makes it so great and so rewarding and so intensifies our hope.
The thing that upset us most is when we seek and set our affection on the things of the earth and they are the very things that fail and disappoint us.They give us false hope and confidence and thus false contentment.
Paul seems to sum up Godly contentment in one verse in Philippians 4:11

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."(Philippians 4:11)

In whatsoever state.That sure sums it up doesn't it?So can we have contentment in this life now?With the world system in the turmoil it's in and the justifying of evil that most governments and countries are allowing and even passing laws that protect evil practices,can we experience Godly contentment?I do believe we can but our attitude toward this world system and what it offers has to be adjusted.
I believe in some respects the world system is adjusting that attitude for us as we see the direction it is headed and knowing the final outcome much of our security this world offers is not as alluring as it has been in the past especially for me anyway.I think as it is being revealed to us more and more what this world system is becoming it will cause us to more and more desire and entertain our affection or mind on the things where Christ is and to long to be with Him.

"For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.
When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory."(Colossians 3:3-4)

Yes this is our real life.A life that doesn't fail or disappoint us or give false hope or false confidence or false contentment.Yes our real life is Christ and One day He will appear and we will go to meet Him in the air.Then we will also appear with Him when He comes back in His Glory to rule this earth.Our Blessed Hope.

Perhaps Today

2016/9/21 8:08Profile

Re: Godly Contentment.Can We Have It?

Very comforting words. Thanks.

2016/9/21 12:06
jochbaptist

AMEN

Yes Sweet word.

2016/9/22 7:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy