SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : What does Satan know?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Hi todd
This is a very interesting passage of scripture. Luke 22:31,32 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have YOU, that he may sift YOU as wheat:
But I have prayed for THEE, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
I have put some words into uppercase to make a point.

The Lord addresses 'Simon' but uses the plural form of the personal pronoun. This implies that Satan did not only ask for 'Simon' but for 'you' (all of you). The Lord's word of encouragement comes personally (THOU) to Simon. Other versions show the sense of 'desired'; it is a specific request rather than a feeling.
"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan asked to have you, that he might sift you as wheat:" ASV & NKJV
" Simon! Simon! lo! Satan, hath claimed you, to sift as wheat;" Rotherham
"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat," RSV
"And the Lord said, ‘Simon, Simon, lo, the Adversary did ask you for himself to sift as the wheat," Youngs Literal
The ideas represented here are very reminiscent of Satan's request to 'test' Job.

It seems that Satan's request was general; he has asked for YOU. Christ's prayer is very personal; I have prayed for THEE.

I'm not drawing hard and fast conclusions here; just observing some details that may illuminate the thread. WKIP

2003/10/22 3:47Profile
creativechristian

Re:

I believe that satans main purpose is to divert our attention away from God and in doing so he robs us of our peace and joy.If he can do this long enough and make you believe the lie, then through the open doors that you open he brings in all the other evil spirits to accomplish what he wants with you.
You must turn to Jesus through prayer and suplication and must be willing to denounce the devil at any cost, even if it costs your life.[img align=left]http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/5D/F1/TouchedByGod/1/38.jpg[/img]

My Church Site

2003/10/22 6:46Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Re: satan

I do believe that satan is the enemy of God and completly at odds with his purpose, so please don't misunderstand what I am about to say!

have you ever noticed in the scriptures how the devil's work fits so nicely in with the plan of God?

Just a few quick eg.s:

There was a tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the garden, put there for a reason. it was satan who drew man into really considering it. I believe the knowledge of good and evil was something that man was going to have to face some day.

Do you remember the time that david numbered Israel? in 1chron 21:1 it says that satan provoked david, but in 2 sam 24:1 it reads that the LORD moved against david to do it.

as was mentioned above satan asked for peter to sift him. Jesus didn't stop him. he prayed for peter.

satan moved men to crucify the Lord. that certainly fitted in with the purposes of God.

then there is paul's thorn in the flesh...a messanger of satan.

and many other examples in the scriptures of satan fitting in with the plans of our God.

so what am I saying, that Satan is a good guy? no. simply that God is soverign and even though satan is struggling against God, God isn't struggling against him. rather he works all things according to the counsel of his own will (eph1:11)

I believe even our wrestling against principalities and powers is part of the will of God. God wants overcomers, people who have battled and overcome through Christ.

which reminds me of another example; in mat 4:1 it says that Jesus was led of the Spirit into the wilderness TO BE tempted of the devil. It doesn't say that he just so happened to be tempted when he was there but that this was the reason he was there.

I think it is always important to remember that the universe is not some gigantic big chess game between that devil and God. Its God's universe and He will finish up with all the glory! Rom 11:36
Stuart

2003/10/23 16:55Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: touching mysteries

Hi Almondbranch
We are touching mysteries here. Let me ask a little series of questions. These questions are not asked from doubt but to illumine mystery and to remind us again that WKIP (we know in part).
Is God the creator and sustainer of the whole creation?
Is the whole creation dependent upon Him, moment by moment, for its continuining existence?
Where does Satan get his energy from?
Who is sustaining him?

We really do only 'know in part' and at times even the parts are tiny.

2003/10/24 6:35Profile
lwpray

Sweden

Re: What does Satan know?

The enemy is certainly the main accuser in our lives, gathering his information from many sources of which gossiping Christians are among the worst.

But who can separate us from the Love of the Father?
Rom 8:37-39.

One thing I have asked from the Lord, that I shall seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life,
To behold the beauty of the Lord,
And to meditate in His temple.
In the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle;
In the secret place of His tent He will hide me;
He will lift me up on a rock.
And now my head will be lifted up above my enemies around me;
And I will offer in His tent sacrifices with shouts of joy;
I will sing, yes, I will sing praises to the Lord.
Ps 27:4-6
The New American Standard Bible

Thou dost hide them in the secret place of Thy presence from the conspiracies of man;
Thou dost keep them secretly in a shelter from the strife of tongues.
Ps 31:20

2003/10/24 7:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy