SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : On being filled with the Spirit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

On being filled with the Spirit

Brethren,

Check this out from Charles Finney.

Read it if you dare :)

http://www.gospeltruth.net/1868Lect_on_Rev_of_Rel/68revlec07.htm

2016/8/31 10:07Profile

Re: On being filled with the Spirit

Thank you so much Stir it up for posting this sermon/article. It's straight talk was refreshing to me. I feel like finally reading about "THE IMPORTANT THINGS"

2016/9/1 3:01
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Hey Zsuzsanna,

You don't get many straighter than Charles Finney :)

....and you don't get much of it today.
No wonder we have so many luke warm, namby pamby Christians today, still babies when they should be all grown up.

Whether we "agree" with everything Charles Finney said or not, I believe it would be very beneficial to us all if we read through this article a few times and then put it into practice.

Today, in our churches and lives, it is not knowledge that is lacking, but obedience.

Finney also said: "Revival is simply a new beginning of obedience"

Blessings,

2016/9/1 4:07Profile

Re:

I like this article for the same reason I like Jim Cimbala's sermons: simplicity. The article writes about living with clear conscience. I know what it is and it's very desirable for me. After many "should-a-christian-do-this-and-that"-type-of-discussions reading this article for me was like listen to Elihu for Job after his other friends tried to guess what was wrong with him. I had this feeling:
Job 33:7
7 Behold, my terror shall not make thee afraid, neither shall my hand be heavy upon thee.

2016/9/1 20:35

Excellent read, much to think and pray about.

That was excellent, William. I need to read that over and over. Anything I have ever read of Finney, I have liked, now I see why. This is the first time I saw that message.

2016/9/1 22:25
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: On being filled with the Spirit

Ha! Brother William that's just one of the many reasons Finney is one of my all time favs.
That particular site has been a go to source for many years and while I enjoy the "other writers" there are a few articles that I struggle with but generally I've found it to be in line with Keith Daniels and his take on scriptures and preaching the gospel.

Thanks again for sharing as it was good to read again:)

2016/9/1 23:00Profile

Re:

Praise God, thank you for this brother William!

The context of his lecture is for Christians to be filled with the Spirit. So what do you think he means towards the end when makes this statement:

"9. If you die without the Spirit, you will fall into hell. There can be no doubt of this. Without the Spirit you will never be prepared for heaven."

2016/9/2 7:37

Re:

Romans 8:9King James Version (KJV)

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

2016/9/2 7:43

Re:

Amen sister but the context of his lecture is not salvation but "be filled with the Spirit".

2016/9/2 8:29

Re:

Is Finney changing the subject with that statement and speaking about those who have never been born again or is he saying that a person who is not filled with the Spirit does not have the Spirit and has therefore "lost their salvation"?

Or is he speaking of both?

2016/9/2 8:33

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy