SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christians Bearing Arms

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Ok, I have to admit my mind is blown. And I have to admit it took me at last a minute to figure out what CCW stands for, I had never heard the term.

So first I must confess I live in Canada and do not personally know anyone who has ever owned or probably touched a gun. So forgive me but what is being discussed is to me so far from normal I can only stare with my jaw on the floor in total shock.

I understand that geography and laws influence what we believe but I have never met a single person in my life saved or unsaved who considers bearing arms a remotely reasonable thing to do. Christians carrying guns on their persons.......umm........your going to want to pray a little longer about that one. I'm stunned, really.

marcmc

2016/8/30 12:27
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

twayneb,

I find our positions very interesting. Counter to your situation, I did not come from a pro-gun family by any means. In fact, my family (mom and her relatives) does not like that I hunt or fish or tote a gun. My family raised me to be quite liberal but I turned into a bible-thumping, conservative redneck!

But I truly believe that if there another way that doesn't involve killing someone, to take that route, but most certainly not at the cost of other's lives.

I have played many different scenarios in my mind. Balancing justice and mercy is hard. Actually it would be impossible without the Holy Spirit. Frankly, there are plenty of times where I thought the Lord should discipline me, and He showed me mercy. So I definitely need Him telling me how to handle this stuff.

2016/8/30 12:31Profile
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

let me put it to you like this marcmc,

If someone broke into your house and threatened to kill you and your family, who would you call? The police, right?

Why would you do that?

....because they have a gun and can save you....

It isn't that far of a stretch of the imagination to understand why, where it is legal, a man would choose to carry a firearm.

2016/8/30 12:33Profile

Re:

I have never known, met or personally heard of anyone having their home broken into, certainly not with anyone home. We don't lock our door (I doubt 50% of the people I know do) our last house the side door didn't lock (15 years).

I understand the politics of it and it's your rights and the left vs right thing. Here its not political it's insane. I can understand non believers in the US carrying guns on them but I felt compelled to share my utter shock that believers do.....I mean you know the 23rd psalm and the NT and all.

Marc mc

2016/8/30 12:52
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

Well, I don't think carrying a gun / being a believer is incompatible? Would you object to me hunting with a gun? Would you object to me carrying a pistol while I am bowhunting so that I can shoot a hog if he attempts to attack me?

That being said, guns and believers are not incompatible by nature.

The issue is what you do with it.

It's not political for me. It's a matter of principal and honor. How can I look to the Lord and say that I did what was right, while simultaneously allowing those who are innocent to be taken advantage of?

And this is in no way directed at you. We come from very different cultures. However, I also react the same way that you did, when I think of grown men being cowards while they watch the innocent be destroyed. I most certainly expect an unbeliever to act that way, but not a believer.

Lastly, you and I may not have the same calling/gifting, hence our differences. This issue is very important to me, regardless of any politics. If guns were illegal in the USA, we'd still be having a similar discussion to this because I'd be advocating using your bare hands to defend the innocent. A gun is a tool and a means to an end--nothing more.

2016/8/30 13:56Profile

Re:

Your culture has very much blurred which spirit you are of brother. In the way a fish has no concept of being wet.

marcmc

2016/8/30 14:12
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Marc your argument sounds like when pit bulls here in the US kill some kid, and the owner says "but he was so gentle and never bit before." There is always a first time.

My house was never broke into growing up nor have any of my dwellings I have lived in since then ever been broken into. But there is always a first time. If I heard someone breaking in at night I would likely die of fright so I would not have a chance to decide whether to shoot.

Almost daily here in the good ol USA we hear of home invasions when the owners are home. Usually they are drug crazed thugs.

I agree that the likelihood of it happening is low; but we buy insurance and spend a lot for it to guard against relatively rare events (house fire, car accidents etc).

I can understand why a man would choose not to protect his family from thugs. But that is certainly not me.

Let me ask you this- if a thug broke into my house, under your philosophy could I brain him with a fireplace poker?

2016/8/30 14:13Profile

Re:

My last post applies to this one as well.

I am shocked, deeply, sadly shocked.

marcmc

2016/8/30 14:21
havok20x

Pineville, LA

Re:

marcmc,

All right, brother. I have made my first point. And I can be wrong, for sure. Show me according to the Scripture where I am erring, please. I am not arguing. But I am willing to hear what you have to say.

2016/8/30 14:30Profile

Re:

Matthew 5:38“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’39But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well. 41If anyone forces you to go one mile, go with them two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you

marcmc

2016/8/30 15:02

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy