SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What's Choking You?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

What's Choking You?

"Now as He was going out on the road, a young woman dressed in Armani and carrying a Gucci bag and an iPhone 7 came running, knelt before Him, and asked Him, “Good Teacher, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?” So Jesus said to her, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery,’ ‘Do not murder,’ ‘Do not steal,’ ‘Do not bear false witness,’ ‘Do not defraud,’ ‘Honor your father and your mother.’” And she answered and said to Him, “Teacher, all these things I have kept from my youth.” Then Jesus, looking at her, loved her, and said to her, “One thing you lack: Go your way, sell all of your designer clothes and accessories on E-bay, and give the proceeds to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, take up the cross, and follow Me.” But she was sad at this word, and went away sorrowful, for she had a closet full of designer labels and many friends on Facebook." (Mark 10:17-22, TMK paraphrase).
-----------------------

Note that in the above story (and the original with the rich young ruler), the text says that Jesus loved them, and then proceeded to tell them to get rid of their stuff. Why? Because Jesus knew that their stuff was keeping them out of the Kingdom. It was a distraction for them. Jesus knew they would be much better off without the things that the world so values.

In the parable of the sower, recall that some of the seeds “fell among thorns and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no grain.” Jesus explained that these seeds represent those “who hear the word, but the cares of the world, and the delight in riches, and the desire for other things, enter in and choke the word, and it proves unfruitful. (See Mk. 13)

So, the question we have to ask ourselves: Is anything choking our ability to relate to Jesus? Is anything distracting us? It could be anything, and it might be very subtle. Take the time to think about this, and take action if necessary.

Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? (2 Cor. 13:5)

2016/8/29 14:57Profile

Re: What's Choking You?

A good modern parable, brother Todd, but how many young evangelicals would just laugh and call these things their necessities in our civilization. And how many older evangelicals are there who could not give up their retirement dreams and savings, their bucket lists of things to accomplish and even the cruise to the Holy Land.

I frequently have to evaluate what I am starting to hold on to. It is so easy to be choked out. Lord show us what is taking hold of us. May we hold loosely to the things of this world.

Praying, dear brother, for those He loves to seek Him first and lay all down at His feet for His Kingdom.

Sis Les

2016/8/29 15:14
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Yes it is a very difficult thing. It would seem that the way our society is set up, many things would seem to be necessities.

And it does not have to be a big thing. A tiny drop of water down the wrong pipe can choke a person for several minutes.

An interesting thing about this parable is that when Jesus was through with the rich young man, he did not turn to the other bystanders and tell them all to "go and do likewise." His word for each of us is specific to us and us only. The truth of the necessity of cross-bearing is universal; what we must lay down in order to pick up the cross is tailor-made.

2016/8/29 15:33Profile

Re: Todd & Leslie

Very good modern parable for this day & age. Yet the spiritual truths are timely. Thought-provoking question to myself. What am I hanging it on to that prevents me from taking up my cross to follow Jesus?

2016/8/29 15:59
watchnpray

Re: Todd!

Excellent paraphrase! And very creative of you. I write for a living and I couldn't have put it better myself.

2016/8/29 18:10Profile
jujashan4

Also with the rich young man Jesus didn't water things down or try to make it easy for him and when he "went away sorrowful" Jesus didn't keep talking to him trying to get him to change his mind.
Helpful for me to consider these things.

2016/8/29 20:25Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

Yes- it is amazing how Jesus trusted the Holy Spirit to do His work in the man. Well- amazing is not the right word- of course he trusted him. Its just that I had not considered that before.

I have heard it theorized that the young ruler may have been Joseph if Aramathea. Of course no way to know for sure but something to think about.

2016/8/29 20:45Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Wow! Yeah brother Todd that hits home-

Very good word brother:)

2016/8/29 21:33Profile

Re:

For me it is the Internet. I do not have stuff, i like music but it doesn't hold me back, I don't care about movies. The internet is too interesting it's too much data, including SI. Ones I was travelling and did not have access for 2 weeks, my spiritual state was much better. Would Jesus say disconnect the internet and follow me? Then what about the sermons, the friends, the beautiful music, and the news, is it all vanity?

2016/8/29 23:12
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re:

Personally I don't think it's the stuff... stuff is just stuff, ya kno?
Seems (to me) it's more about our attachment to it that is vanity.

2016/8/29 23:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy