SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Refining His people

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Psalms 86:1-7 A Prayer of David. Bow down thine ear, O LORD, hear me: for I am poor and needy. Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O thou my God, save thy servant that trusteth in thee. Be merciful unto me, O Lord: for I cry unto thee daily. Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift up my soul. For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee. Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications. In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.

I am holy only because He that is in me is Holy. Only the garments that Christ brings me will be clean. I still live on this earth and I am not of this earth, so my garments are not of this earth and can only be kept pure and Holy and white by the heavenly that is in me, which Jesus Christ will bring with Him for me when He comes.

Even David knew this as I call upon God He is plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon Him. I want to be holy, I want to do righteousness, in all that my heart cries for this is my prayer, but I know it is only by His working in me mightily that I by faith attain this perfection which is in Him and Him alone. I will be what He intends me to be and that will overpower all that is in me that is not holy.
Hence I am holy because He is Holy.

1 John 3:3-9 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

If I am still here in the flesh and cannot sin why am I not in heaven already? That of me that is born of God cannot sin because the Seed of Christ in me cannot sin. This flesh can and will, does not have to but in me will of which I hate and ask who will deliver me from this body of death, Praise God Jesus Christ.

In Christ: Phillip

2016/8/29 23:28Profile

Re:

"And all who have this eager expectation will keep themselves pure, just as he is pure."

These are those believers who have an eager expectation to become more and more like Jesus in every way. It is an inner groaning to be conformed to His image. An unsatisfied thirst for "more of God", not outwardly but inward transformation. Paul described this groaning in Romans 8:23.

"And we believers also groan, even though we have the Holy Spirit within us as a foretaste of future glory, for we long for our bodies to be released from sin and suffering. We, too, wait with eager hope for the day when God will give us our full rights as his adopted children, including the new bodies he has promised us. We were given this hope when we were saved. (If we already have something, we don’t need to hope for it. But if we look forward to something we don’t yet have, we must wait patiently and confidently.)"

2016/8/29 23:39

Re:

What does John mean when he says that we "purify ourselves"? If we know that it is God who makes us pure through faith in the blood of Jesus then how can we be the ones to "purify ourselves"?

It sounds like a contradiction doesn't it?

But it is not, it is just another way of stating that we walk in obedience, ever sensitive to the Lord and His leading. Seeking to yield to Him in every area of our lives as He guides us.

This is not a hard thing, but rather easy and light. If it becomes hard then something is wrong. But as we draw near to the Lord and yoke ourselves with Him, our will entwines with His. We can choose to surrender and learn from Him or fight Him. But as we yield and submit, He teaches us all things and leads us in the path of righteousness.

We yield to Him, by faith - purifying ourselves as He is pure.

2016/8/29 23:56

Re:

Sanctification is the process of allowing the holy character of God to be manifested in the behavior of regenerated men.

We can choose to not allow the character of God to be manifested in us.

2Ti 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
2Ti 2:21 IF A MAN THEREFORE PURGE HIMSELF FROM THESE, he shall be a vessel unto honour, SANCTIFIED, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
2Ti 2:22 FLEE ALSO YOUTHFUL LUSTS: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

We must allow the Spirit of Christ to fill and control our behavior then the divine character of holiness will be manifested in our behavior. This is how God wants us to function and how God wants to function in us, manifesting His character in our behavior. It is not automatic.

Paul explained to the Thessalonian Christians that "this is the will of God, your sanctification" (I Thess. 4:3). God has called us for the purpose of sanctification (I Thess. 4:7). "God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth" (II Thess. 2:13). Sanctification is not optional.

Can holiness be perfected? Holiness is the character of God so the character of God cannot be perfected as it is already perfect. But the manifestation of God's character in us can be progressively more evidenced in our behavior and that is called, "perfecting holiness in the fear of God" (II Cor 7:1). Thought the Holy One dwells in us, we are still called to "be holy as He is holy" (1 Pet 1:16), otherwise, why did Peter say that?

Christians are to pursue/follow holiness (Heb 12:14) because "God has not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness", (1 Th 4:7).

2 Pet 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness?

We are to "follow holiness" (Heb 12:14), and admonished to "yield our members servants to righteousness unto holiness" (Rom 6:19) and not to "uncleanness".

The choice is still ours as we pursue the Lord and seek to walk in agreement with Him allowing His character to be manifested in us.

More of Christ, less of us.
John 3:30 He must increase, but I must decrease.

2016/8/30 0:19
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

J,

Very well put.

I'm sure we wish it were automatic sometimes :) but then we would be robots and would not be willingly laying down our lives for the lover of our souls.

We were bought with a price...not with gold or silver but with the precious blood of Christ...we are no longer our own...we live no longer for ourselves but for the One Who died for us, yes, and was raised from the dead for us...

His love for us and ours in response for Him is the motivation, the spring for all good works.

Blessings,

2016/8/30 2:22Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

I'll use a little of Charles Spurgeon;

. "My ship is coming home," says the child. So is mine: Jesus is coming, and that means all things to me. But what can this grace be that will be received at His coming? Justification? No, we have that already by His resurrection. Sanctification? No; we have that already, by being made partakers of His life. What is the grace that is to be revealed at His coming? Just look at the chapter, 1 Peter 1 especially 13 and you will read in the fifth verse, "Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation, ready to be revealed in the last time."

""1. Perfect salvation is one part of the grace which is to be brought in the last time when Christ comes. When He comes there will be perfection for our souls and salvation for our bodies.

2. The second grace that Christ will bring with Him when He comes is the perfect vindication of our faith: "that the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ." Today they sneer at our faith, but they will not do so when Jesus comes; today we ourselves tremble before the ark of the Lord, but we shall not do so when He comes. Then shall all men say that believers were wise, prudent, philosophical, (right minded). Those who believe in Jesus may be called fools today, but men will think otherwise when they see them shine forth as the sun in the Father's kingdom. (C. H. Spurgeon.)""

Christian morality: — The great privileges of Grace we now enjoy are here urged upon us as a reason why we should live like a new creature, (literally a new building, a new creation) a new race of people in Christ.

I am being sanctified and it is He who has already accomplished it by me being a partaker of His life, "Christ in you the hope of glory", who has been Made unto me, "wisdom, righteousness, sanctification and redemption."

Are you pure and holy Mark? Praise God. I am sorry I am not yet, but I press on toward the upward calling of God in Christ Jesus that I might attain perfection as He is perfect. For now I just have to walk in Faith that I am because of His life that is in me. "The life I now live in the flesh I live by the Faith of the Son of God, who loved and gave Himself for me".

In Christ: Phillip

2016/8/30 7:15Profile
StirItUp

Re:

2 Corinthians 6 verse 16 to 7 verse 1 (CAPS for Emphasis): "And what agreement hath the temple of
God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as
God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in [them;] and
I will be their God, and they shall be my people. {6:17}
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate,
saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing;] and I will
receive you, {6:18} And will be a Father unto you, and ye
shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.
{7:1} HAVING THEREFORE THESE PROMISES, DEARLY BELOVED, LET US CLEANSE OURSELVES from all filthiness of the flesh and
spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

2016/8/30 8:00Profile

Re: Phillip

"Are you pure and holy Mark? Praise God. I am sorry I am not yet,..."

Praise God? Huh? Your assumption is that my answer would be yes??? Lol. Sorry brother, but we are all in the same boat together. I am not more holy than thou no matter what you think about me :-)

2016/8/30 8:41

Re:

We should not let our defeats keep us from pressing on and we should also not let our weaknesses define our theology or redefine the Word. Of course, it should go without saying that we do not compare ourselves with other men. Christ is our standard. The Word will never change and thank God it won't. It is a faithful mirror for us all to look into. And we need this mirror.

Too often, I see where men have redefined the Word of God to fit better with their condition and lack of victory. They diminish the emphasis on holy living and the outworking of God's holy and righteous character in us creating new theologies.

It cannot be restated, enough:
1Pet 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

1Pet 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

Being holy is being set apart by God and then standing in that separateness that God has placed you. Holy living and separation cannot be external unless it is first internal (circumcision of the heart).

2Cor 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and BE YE SEPARATE, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Heb_7:26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, SEPARATE FROM SINNERS, and made higher than the heavens;

We see this theme of separateness throughout the Word.

Num 16:26 And he spake unto the congregation, saying, DEPART, I pray you, FROM THE TENTS OF THESE WICKED MEN, and touch nothing of theirs, lest ye be consumed in all their sins.

Num 16:21 SEPARATE YOURSELVES FROM AMONGST THIS CONGREGATION, that I may consume them in a moment.

Zec 2:7 DELIVER THYSELF, O ZION, that dwellest with the daughter of Babylon.

Isa 52:11 DEPART YE, DEPART YE, go ye out from thence, touch no unclean thing; go ye out of the midst of her; be ye clean, that bear the vessels of the LORD.

Jer 51:6 FLEE OUT OF THE MIDST OF BABYLON, and deliver every man his soul: be not cut off in her iniquity; for this is the time of the LORD'S vengeance; he will render unto her a recompence.

2Cor 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, LET US CLEANSE OURSELVES from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

2016/8/30 11:59
StirItUp

Re:

Amen.

2016/8/30 13:16Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy