SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Are You Legalistic?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
savannah

Re: self-righteous legalism?

I bump this thread so that some may learn not to _________.

I had been following the alcohol thread.

From the article in the OP,

"Has anyone ever obeyed God's laws perfectly? Has anyone ever walked the earth in sinless perfection? Yes. Isn't that what the Lord Jesus Christ did? The Lord Jesus Christ, for thirty-three years, obeyed God's law perfectly, carefully, and minutely . . . not just in outward action but in inward spirit. The Lord Jesus Christ was careful to obey all of God's laws.

If obeying God's laws carefully and precisely is legalism, then Jesus was the world's greatest legalist. Surely, Jesus wasn't legalistic, was He? We are not going to use that phrase, are we?

And we are called to walk as Jesus walked. Is that not what the Word of God says, that the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to in the same manner walk as He walked? (1 John 2:5-6)

Are we not being conformed to the image of Christ, the greatest law keeper who ever lived on the face of the earth?"

Read the whole article please! Maybe then, some will refrain from using the word legalism so loosely, and calling others self-righteous.

2017/1/10 7:51Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Am I legalistic? I sure can be.

Over the years, though, as Christ has transformed me (although what I think is a giant leap in Christ-like-ness is surely not even a toe-wiggle away from my old nature), I think less and less about "what must I do" and more and more my thoughts are "Lord, I love You. Make me like You. I want to please You. You are so good and so perfect You delight me in Your ways, so please help me in my stupidity and my unbelief and disobedience and change my heart to that which pleases You." That sort of thing.

As this happens, those things I used to think of as "must do" become preferred "want-to's". They become beautiful places of joy and strength and confidence in Him within my own heart. When I fail to do them and when I disobey Him, my sins and my carnality are not sources of condemnation, but of disgust and my soul acquires a fast desire to be separated from them. I am thankful for the Holy Spirit without whom I would be utterly lost. I am thankful for godly sorrow that leads me to repentance.

2017/1/10 12:47Profile

Re:

This is a very important topic and it comes up often.
I have developed a bit my own explanation what it means and I would like to briefly share it.

The important thing I find is to look at it in a wider context and with the right balance. I would like to use Moses and Joshua as examples. We know that "the law was given through Moses..." (John 1:17) and they should have kept the law but as we know failed often. BUT - it is also very important to note that "they could not enter in because of unbelief..." ( Hebrews 3:19)

So even if they would have kept the law perfectly they would have failed to enter the promised land and find rest, "because of unbelief..." , by not trusting in the living God and the path He has for us.

Joshua must have had a very close relationship with the Lord, a bit like a sheep who hears the Shepherd's voice.
When God told him to go and enter the land he did not need to call a meeting with 12 leaders and ask for their opinion.
He just ordered the officers of the people to get ready - we all know the story.

But it is also very important to note the following instructions:
Joshua 1v7 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

So it is not one or the other - it is first of all trusting a risen Savior and hear His voice AND to keep the law as we
walk the path He has for us.

The problem we have imo, especially in the western churches is that most church-goers don't have a living relationship with the risen Savior. Then the christian life is probably a bit like a "wilderness experience".

Paul wrote: I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me (Gal.2:20 )

2017/1/11 1:36
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Legalism:

noun
strict adherence, or the principle of strict adherence, to law or prescription, especially to the letter rather than the spirit.
Theology.
a. the doctrine that salvation is gained through good works.
b. the judging of conduct in terms of adherence to precise laws.
(initial capital letter) (in Chinese philosophy) the principles and practices of a school of political theorists advocating strict legal control over all activities, a system of rewards and punishments uniform for all classes, and an absolute monarchy.
AND…

Legalism (or nomism), in Christian theology, is the act of putting law[clarification needed] above gospel by establishing requirements for salvation beyond repentance and faith in Jesus Christ and reducing the broad, inclusive, and general precepts of the Bible to narrow and rigid moral codes.[1] It is an over-emphasis of discipline of conduct, or legal ideas, usually implying an allegation of misguided rigour, pride, superficiality, the neglect of mercy, and ignorance of the grace of God or emphasizing the letter of law at the expense of the spirit. Legalism is alleged against any view that obedience to law, not faith in God's grace, is the pre-eminent principle of redemption. On the Biblical viewpoint that redemption is not earned by works, but that obedient faith is required to enter and remain in the redeemed state, see covenantal nomism

2017/1/11 4:56Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re:

Further to me previous post re the definition of Legalism:

Quote Markuskiwi:
“So it is not one or the other - it is first of all trusting a risen Savior and hear His voice AND to keep the law as we
walk the path He has for us.”

Quote from Savannah’s “bumped” post:
“If obeying God's laws carefully and precisely is legalism, then Jesus was the world's greatest legalist. Surely, Jesus wasn't legalistic, was He? We are not going to use that phrase, are we?

And we are called to walk as Jesus walked. Is that not what the Word of God says, that the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to in the same manner walk as He walked? (1 John 2:5-6)

Are we not being conformed to the image of Christ, the greatest law keeper who ever lived on the face of the earth?" END of quotes.

William: "What exactly are you advocating, brothers? Bringing believers under the observance of the Mosaic law/s?
Which laws are you referring to? How do you see “keeping the law” as applied to gentile believers today?"

Blessings,

2017/1/11 5:15Profile
Heydave

Hampshire, UK

Re:

Dolfan wrote:

"As this happens, those things I used to think of as "must do" become preferred "want-to's". They become beautiful places of joy and strength and confidence in Him within my own heart. When I fail to do them and when I disobey Him, my sins and my carnality are not sources of condemnation, but of disgust and my soul acquires a fast desire to be separated from them. I am thankful for the Holy Spirit without whom I would be utterly lost. I am thankful for godly sorrow that leads me to repentance."

This is probably the most wonderfully succinct explanation I have read of what it means to walk in the Spirit and obedience/submission to Christ as opposed to legalism.
Thank you.

Edit: He 'puts His law in our minds and on our hearts' and dare I say gives us the 'Mind of Christ', (but that's another topic).

2017/1/11 5:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy