SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : So am I going to be in sin.......

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

So am I going to be in sin.......

So am I going to be in sin if I go see the Nik Ripken movie a local theater here?

Just asking?

2016/8/24 15:27

Re: So am I going to be in sin.......

Of course not, bro. Come on Blaine. I know it's a rhetorical question, but of course it isn't. Anyone who thinks it is can throw me into the "friend of sinners" crew too because me, my wife, & all 7 of my kids will be there too. 😊

2016/8/24 15:31
forrests

Quote:
by bearmaster on 2016/8/24 12:27:47

So am I going to be in sin if I go see the Nik Ripken movie a local theater here?

Just asking?

Brother, you too? Mocking and taunting...? I'm deeply saddened. I can take it, but it saddens me nonetheless - for Christ's sake (I hope).

2016/8/24 15:38Profile

Re:

Brothers just asking. I had a ticket baught for me. But if this is sin. I will reframe from seeing the movie. I have already given up my beer.

2016/8/24 16:22
forrests

Re: My apologies

Quote:
Brothers just asking. I had a ticket baught for me. But if this is sin. I will reframe from seeing the movie. I have already given up my beer.

If I was being oversensitive and jumped to conclusions, I apologize. But I must admit, it seems weird that you would allow a bunch of guys on an online forum dictate these things to you so directly and leave your own prayer, discernment, preachers, teachers and pastors and conscience completely out of it...

Also, it seems to be a Christian movie...? And you just went to see Ben-Hur (which was created by heretics and Christ-haters), and you know that the majority opinion on SI seems to be that very little is objective when it comes to sin and what we ought to tell a fellow brother to do or not do...

And "gave up beer"? I thought you were on the "teetotaler" side of the debate...? Do you mean you gave up your conviction that drinking beer is sin?

Just seems odd that after a debate about Ben-Hur (and going to see it anyhow) and another one heating up regarding "vain amusements" - in which I seem to be outnumbered in my position against them, and the most outspoken on my side - that you now start a thread asking a crown on SI, that has already voiced that they don't find much fault with entertainment in general, if going to see a Christian documentary-style movie regarding the persecuted church is sin...?

I don't know, brother. Perhaps I am wrong...but maybe you should check your own heart on this one too.

2016/8/24 16:31Profile

Re:

No taunting or mocking intended. Just trying to keep a blameless conscience before God and men.

My thoughts.

2016/8/24 16:33

Re: Forrest

Brother I was moving toward the teetotaler side before the drinking threads started heating up. As a result of the drinking threads have became convinced that for me to exercise my liberty to drink beer was going against my conscience. Plus it was not maintaining a witness for Jesus. At least for me.

So it's because of those threads I walked away from my liberty to drink beer.

I don't know. God may be speaking to me about the movies. Yes I went to see Ben Hur. But now as a result of the thread beginning to wonder.

Forrest was not my intention to mock or taunt. If anything I appreciate you are a brother of conviction. Maybe some of those convictions are starting to wear off on me.

I don't know just asking practical questions about a practical walk of holiness in this perverse and evil generation.

Sorry if my OP I came across as taunting. It was not meant to convey that.

Hope this clarifies.

2016/8/24 16:40

Re:

I don't know, brother. Perhaps I am wrong...but maybe you should check your own heart on this one too.

I will do that brother. Thanks for the wise counsel.

2016/8/24 16:45
forrests

Re: Sincere apologies

Blaine,
In that case, please accept my apologies. I trust that you were not taunting. I am encouraged to hear that you are sober and mindful regarding running this race and laying aside every weight to run it the best you can. I am sure you will never get to the finish line and regret running your heart out!

Here are some encouraging words from Albert Barnes' commentary on this subject:

There is no part of the New Testament of more value than this chapter; none which deserves to be more patiently studied, or which may be more frequently applied to the circumstances of Christians. These invaluable records are adapted to sustain us in times of trial, temptation, and persecution; to show us what faith has done in days that are past, and what it may do still in similar circumstances. Nothing can better show the value and the power of faith, or of true religion, than the records in this chapter. It has done what nothing else could do. It has enabled people to endure what nothing else would enable them to bear, and it has shown its power in inducing them to give up, at the command of God, what the human heart holds most dear. And among the lessons which we may derive from the study of this portion of divine truth, let us learn from the example of Abel to continue to offer to God the sacrifice of true piety which he requires, though we may be taunted or opposed by our nearest kindred; from that of Enoch to walk with God, though surrounded by a wicked world, and to look to the blessed translation to heaven which awaits all the righteous; from that of Noah to comply with all the directions of God, and to make all needful preparations for the future events which he has predicted, in which we are to be interested - as death, judgment, and eternity - though the events may seem to be remote, and though there may be no visible indications of their coming, and though the world may deride our faith and our fears; from that of Abraham to leave country, and home, and kindred, if God calls us to, and to go just where he commands, through deserts and wilds, and among strange people, and like him also to be ready to give up the dearest objects of our earthly affection, even when attended with all that can try or torture our feelings of affection - feeling that God who gave has a right to require their removal in his own way, and that however much we may fix our hopes on a dear child, he can fulfill all his purposes and promises to us though such a child should be removed by death; from that of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, to regard ourselves as strangers and pilgrims on earth, having here no permanent home. and seeking a better country; from that of Moses to be willing to leave all the pomp and splendor of the world, all our brilliant prospects and hopes, and to welcome poverty, reproach, and suffering, that we may identify ourselves with the people of God; by the remembrance of the host of worthies who met danger, and encountered mighty foes, and vanquished them, let us learn to go forth in our spiritual conflicts against the enemies of our souls and of the church, assured of victory; and from the example of those who were driven from the abodes of human beings, and exposed to the storms of persecution, let us learn to bear every trial, and to be ready at any moment to lay down our lives in the cause of truth and of God. Of all those holy men who made these sacrifices, which of them ever regretted it, when he came calmly to look over his life, and to review it on the borders of the eternal world?

None. Not one of them ever expressed regret that he had given up the world; or that he had obeyed the Lord too early, too faithfully, or too long. Not Abraham who left his country and kindred; not Moses who abandoned his brilliant prospects in Egypt; not Noah who subjected himself to ridicule and scorn for an hundred and twenty years; and not one of those who were exposed to lions, to fire, to the edge of the sword, or who were driven away from society as outcasts to wander in pathless deserts or to take up their abodes in caverns, ever regretted the course which they had chosen. And who of them all now regrets it? Who, of these worthies, now looks from heaven and feels that he suffered one privation too much, or that he has not had an ample recompense for all the ills he experienced in the cause of religion? So we shall feel when from the bed of death we look over the present life, and look out on eternity.

Whatever our religion may have cost us, we shall not feel that we began to serve God too early, or served him too faithfully. Whatever pleasure, gain, or splendid prospects we gave up in order to become Christians, we shall feel that it was the way of wisdom, and shall rejoice that we were able to do it. Whatever sacrifices, trials, persecution, and pain, we may meet with, we shall feel that there has been more than a compensation in the consolations of religion, and in the hope of heaven, and that by every sacrifice we have been the gainers. When we reach heaven, we shall see that we have not endured one pain too much, and that through whatever trials we may have passed, the result is worth all which it has cost. Strengthened then in our trials by the remembrance of what faith has done in times that are past; recalling the example of those who through faith and patience have inherited the promises, let us go cheerfully on our way. Soon the journey of trials will be ended, and soon what are now objects of faith will become objects of fruition, and in their enjoyment, how trifling and brief will seem all the sorrows of our pilgrimage below!

Grace to you to run, brother!

2016/8/24 17:12Profile
savannah

If you invite the Lord Jesus along, let me know what He says?

2016/8/25 0:56Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy