Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Spiritual sensitivity

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Spiritual sensitivity

Quoted from My Utmost for His highest, Oswald Chambers:

"The voice of the Spirit of God is so gentle that unless you are living in complete fellowship and oneness with God, you will never hear it. The sense of warning and restraint that the Spirit gives comes to us in the most amazingly gentle ways. And if you are not sensitive enough to detect His voice, you will quench it, and your spiritual life will be impaired. This sense of restraint will always come as a “still small voice” (1 Kings 19:12), so faint that no one except a saint of God will notice it.

Beware if in sharing your personal testimony you continually have to look back, saying, “Once, a number of years ago, I was saved.” If you have put your “hand to the plow” and are walking in the light, there is no “looking back”— the past is instilled into the present wonder of fellowship and oneness with God (Luke 9:62 ; also see 1 John 1:6-7). If you get out of the light, you become a sentimental Christian, and live only on your memories, and your testimony will have a hard metallic ring to it. Beware of trying to cover up your present refusal to “walk in the light” by recalling your past experiences when you did “walk in the light” (1 John 1:7). When-ever the Spirit gives you that sense of restraint, call a halt and make things right, or else you will go on quenching and grieving Him without even knowing it.

Suppose God brings you to a crisis and you almost endure it, but not completely. He will engineer the crisis again, but this time some of the intensity will be lost. You will have less discernment and more humiliation at having disobeyed. If you continue to grieve His Spirit, there will come a time when that crisis cannot be repeated, because you have totally quenched Him. But if you will go on through the crisis, your life will become a hymn of praise to God. Never become attached to anything that continues to hurt God. For you to be free of it, God must be allowed to hurt whatever it may be."

2016/8/13 5:12Profile

Re: Spiritual sensitivity

I love the whole quote. This part I find especially accurate:

Quote:
If you get out of the light, you become a sentimental Christian, and live only on your memories, and your testimony will have a hard metallic ring to it. Beware of trying to cover up your present refusal to “walk in the light” by recalling your past experiences when you did “walk in the light” (1 John 1:7).

2016/8/13 5:23
StirItUp

Re:

Yes, Zsusanna, it really is a call to progress, isn't it, not to become "satisfied" and "stale" in our relationship with God, but to pursue intimacy with Him and really prioritize our time with Him.

"Guard your heart for from it flows the issues of life"

In His Love,

2016/8/13 5:37Profile

Re:

Occasionally I can see the "school of God" (described in the last part), where His hand is recognizable in everything that happens to me. Other times everything seems to be on the natural level. I think when we pray and waiting for an answer from God every moment that's when we get into "intense schooling" other times when we don't pray nothing happens, it's all natural...

2016/8/13 5:51
StirItUp

Re:

Prayer, fellowship with God, quiet times etc...how important they are and how easily neglected.
No wonder we sometimes find our spiritual lives so "boring" and below standard!
I find the business of daily life and then coming home and watching TV or whatever else can so consume my time that by the time it quiets down and I can read and meditate on some edifying spiritual food, I am already tired and ready for sleep...

Oh! How we need to follow hard after the Lover of our Souls!...If we sow to the Spirit we will reap from the Spirit!

2016/8/13 6:02Profile

Re:

Sometimes only great difficulties can stir us up to pray, but it is better if we are just close to the Lord every day, giving thanks and praying always expectingly. From time to time (for some reason) I get bumped out of this good position and it is difficult to find the way back...

2016/8/13 6:03

Re:

I can't force myself to read the Bible, but sometimes it gets so interesting I can not stop reading.

2016/8/13 6:11
StirItUp

Re:

...for a Spirit filled person, the bible really is spiritual food. Reading the bible, especially the epistles (where you and I live) are so refreshing, encouraging and yes, sometimes challenging!
A good steady diet of the Word of God is very beneficial to our spiritual health and will help us to become more spiritually sensitive to the leading of the Spirit as well.

As we were taught as kids in a song: " Read your bible, pray every day, pray every day, pray every day. Read your bible, pray every day and you will grow, grow, grow! :)

2016/8/13 6:18Profile

Re:

This is what happened one day: I haven't read Bible or prayed for a longer time, and I had an hour sitting in the car waiting for someone. I said to myself here is the Bible I am going to read it, it opened at the part when Sarah was at Abimelech's place, and I said: I know this story it's boring and I don't see how God can tell me something or talk to me through this, or how can I hear His voice. Than I read this:
Genesis 20:3
"But God came to Abimelech in a dream by night, and said to him, Behold, thou art but a dead man, for the woman which thou hast taken; for she is a man's wife."
And I went: O God if you could talk to Abimelech who was doing something wrong, than you can talk to me also at least about something I am doing wrong. And I immediately felt the nearness and fellowship again first for a long time.

2016/8/13 6:33
StirItUp

Re:

...how faithful He is, my sister!

"Call on Me and I WILL answer...."

He waits for us to draw near to Him and is so ready to respond with love and grace to our sometimes feeble attempts.

2016/8/13 6:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy