SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The Christian and Alcohol by John MacArthur

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 )
PosterThread
proudpapa

Re:

RE : ///Agreed brother it was probably .5-2% alcholic wine which is very low alchol concentration compared to wines today. So three glasses in bible times = 1 or less in our times.
That is the point in the John Macarthur message:///

John Mac says at 55:12 "The Wine than in Biblical times could have well have been unintoxicating from a syrup base or marginally intoxicating because its fermation had been dilluted so much in the mixture with water."

than he will go on to say that : the level of alchol would be between 2.5 and 2.75 which he than says is well under the 3.2 percent neccassary to be classified as an intoxicating drink.

I do not know about what pliny the elder may have said but what I do know is that the wine that was being drunk
at the wedding in John 2 had intoxicating effects because the text says it did :

John 2:10
And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well (((drunk))), then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

The well "drunk" methuo means intoxicated in the greek

2016/8/16 19:20Profile

Re:

Brother Bill,
This is a discussion forum and we should never feel ashamed for standing up for what we believe. That said I agree with you, if it resorts to name calling or nastiness or contention then it has gone too far. I didn't see any of that but if you perceived that to be the case then I apologize for any part I played in strife or contention, to you and the others, particularly Julius.

2016/8/16 20:49
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by jeffmar
I am a former alcoholic from a long line of them...

Me too, Jeff. Someone sent a tweet in on The Tonight Show that said, "My dad told me that alcoholism didn't run in our family, it gallops."

My youngest son gave up drugs and took up alcohol just as strong but he couldn't help but agree with that Tweet. His name is Samuel if anyone cares to help me pray for him, he is 24.

God bless,
Lisa

2016/8/16 20:57Profile

Re:

Quote:
by awakened on 2016/8/16 20:49:46

Brother Bill,
This is a discussion forum and we should never feel ashamed for standing up for what we believe. That said I agree with you, if it resorts to name calling or nastiness or contention then it has gone too far. I didn't see any of that but if you perceived that to be the case then I apologize for any part I played in strife or contention, to you and the others, particularly Julius.

Hey there Mark,

I'm cool, just moving on. May the Lord bless everyone on this thread as you continue to work thru these things with respect and love. I personally don't think threads should be locked as we all have the capacity to self moderate and work through difficult subjects. I'll keep reading but I don't have much more to say.

2016/8/16 21:32

Re: Julius

Bless you Julius, I am moving on too. I appreciate you very much brother...love to you in our Lord!

2016/8/16 21:37
Keswickr

Re:

"His name is Samuel if anyone cares to help me pray for him, he is 24". Lysa

I do.....and I will!! God bless.

2016/8/16 22:09Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Saints,

we will end the discussion on this point. We encourage those who have not watched the message to watch here:

The Christian and Alcohol by John MacArthur
https://youtu.be/thXe-rtpl6U

Thankful for wise and thoughtful posts in this thread as we do need to consider the seriousness of the this problem in the body of Christ and lack of clarity from preachers in the land.

this thread is locked.

2016/8/16 22:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy