SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What is missing from your Bible?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

What is missing from your Bible?

This is a very good side by side of just some of the text that is found in the Received Text but that is not found in all of the "newer" versions. This is from the Book "Ripped from the Bible" by Floyd Nolen Jones (I have it in a zip file-just email me and I will send it to you) :

Key Passages Missing

The first list is a sampling depicting omissions that are commonplace in modern versions. These omissions often diminish basic doctrines. The New International Version, which we have used as a representative, has somewhat fewer omissions than the New American Standard, Revised Standard, New English, etc. Yet even in the NIV, the deletions are considerable and noteworthy. This will become increasingly evident when the second list, which gives all of the Names of Deity that have been omitted, is perused. The two translations have been placed side by side so that the earnest inquirer can readily perceive the magnitude of the situation and determine for himself whether the NIV has the same authority and reverence as the Authorized Version.

King James Bible New International Version
MAT 1:25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son… NIV But he had no union with her until she gave birth to a son.
MAT 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; NIV But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.
MAT 6:13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. NIV.... And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from the evil one.
MAT 9:13 …for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. NIV..For I have not come to call the righteous but sinners.
MAT 15:8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. NIV These people honour me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.
MAT 16:3 …O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky; but can ye not discern the signs of the times? NIV You know how to interpret the appearance of the sky, but you cannot interpret the signs of the times.
MAT 17:21 Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting. NIV———Missing
MAT 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery. NIV I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for marital unfaithfulness and marries another woman commits adultery.
MAT 20:16 So the last shall be first and the first last: for many be called but few chosen. NIV So the last will be first, and the first will be last.
MAT 20:22 But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with?… NIV You don’t know what you are asking, Jesus said to them. Can you drink the cup I am going to drink?
MAT 23:14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows’ houses, and for a pretence make long prayer: therefore ye shall receive the greater damnation. NIV——None
MAT 27:35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots. NIV When they had crucified him, they divided up his clothes by casting lots.
MAT 28:2 …for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it. NIV…for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it.
MAT 28:9 And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail… NIV Suddenly Jesus met them. “Greetings,” he said…
MAR 1:14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God. NIV After John was put in prison, Jesus went into Galilee, proclaiming the good news of God.
MAR 1:31 And he came and took her by the hand, and lifted her up; and immediately the fever left her. NIV So he went to her, took her hand and helped her up. The fever left her.
MAR 2:17 …I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. NIV…I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.
MAR 6:11 …shake off the dust under your feet for a testimony against them. Verily I say unto you, it shall be more tolerable for Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment than for that city. NIV…shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them.
MAR 7:8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do. NIV..Ye have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men.
MAR 7:16 If any man have ears to hear, let him hear. NIV——— NONE
MAR 9:44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. NIV———NONE
MAR 9:46 Where the
ir worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched. NIV———NONE
MAR 9:49 For every one shall be salted with fire, and every sacrifice shall be salted with salt. NIV Everyone will be salted with fire.
MAR 10:21 …and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. NIV..give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.
MAR 10:24 …Children, how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God. NIV …Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God.
MAR 11:26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses. NIV———NONE
MAR 13:14 But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not,… NIV When you see the abomination that causes desolation standing where it does not belong,
MAR 13:33 Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is. NIV Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come.
MAR 14:68 But he denied, saying, I know not, neither understand I what thou sayest. And he went out into the porch; and the cock crew.
NIV But he denied it. “I don’t know or understand what you’re talking about.” he said, and went out into the entryway.
MAR 15:28 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, And he was numbered with the transgressors. NIV———MISSING
LUK 1:28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. NIV The angel went to her and said, “Greetings, you who are highly favored! The Lord is with you.”
LUK 2:43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it. After the Feast was over, while his parents were returning home, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem, but they were unaware of it. NIV--MISSING
LUK 4:8 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve. Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’ ”
LUK 9:54 And when his disciples James and John saw this, they said, Lord, wilt thou that we command fire to come down from heaven, and consume them, even as Elias did? When the disciples James and John saw this, they asked, “Lord, do you want us to call fire down from heaven to destroy them?”
LUK 9:55 But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. But Jesus turned and rebuked them.
LUK 11:2–4 …When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil. When you pray, say: Father hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. And lead us not into temptation.
LUK 11:29 …This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet. …This is a wicked generation. It asks for a miraculous sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah.
LUK 17:36 Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. ———
LUK 22:31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat. Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat.
LUK 22:64 And when they had blindfolded him, they struck him on the face, and asked him, saying, Prophesy, who is it that smote thee? They blindfolded him and demanded, “Prophesy! Who hit you?”
LUK 23:17 (For of necessity he must release one unto them at the feast.) ———
LUK 23:38 And a superscription also was written over him in letters of Greek, and Latin, and Hebrew, THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS. There was a written notice above him, which read: THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS.
JOH 1:27 He it is, who coming after me is preferred before me, whose shoe’s latchet I am not worthy to unloose. He is the one who comes after me, the thongs of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie.
JOH 3:13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven the Son of man.
JOH 5:3–4 In these lay a great multitude of impotent folk, of blind, halt, withered, waiting for the moving of the water. For an angel went down at a certain season into the pool, and troubled the water: whosoever then first after the troubling of the water stepped in was made whole of whatsoever disease he had. Here a great number of disabled people used to lie – the blind, the lame, the paralyzed.
JOH 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.
JOH 11:41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead was laid. So they took away the stone.
JOH 17:12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name… While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me…
ACT 10:6 He lodgeth with one Simon a tanner, whose house is by the sea side: he shall tell thee what thou oughtest to do. He is staying with Simon the tanner whose house is by the sea.
ACT 20:32 And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace,… Now I commit you to God and the word of his grace.
ACT 24:6–8 Who also hath gone about to profane the temple: whom we took, and would have judged according to our law. But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands, Commanding his accusers to come unto thee: by examining of whom thyself mayest take knowledge of all these things, whereof we accuse him. and even tried to desecrate the temple; so we seized him. By examining him yourself you will be able to learn the truth about all these charges we are bringing against him.
ACT 24:15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust. And I have the same hope in God as these men, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.
ACT 28:16 And when we came to Rome, the centurion delivered the prisoners to the captain of the guard: but Paul was suffered to dwell by himself with a soldier that kept him. When we got to Rome, Paul was allowed to live by himself, with a soldier to guard him.
ACT 28:29 And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves. ———
ROM 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness,… They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed…
ROM 9:28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth. For the Lord will carry out his sentence on earth with speed and finality.
ROM 10:15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news.
ROM 13:9 …Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, thou shalt not covet;… …“Do not steal,” “Do not covet,”…
ROM 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. He who regards one day as special does so to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God.
ROM 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything that will cause your brother to fall.
ROM 15:29 And I am sure that, when I come unto you, I shall come in the fulness of the blessing of the gospel of Christ. I know that when I come to you, I will come in the full measure of the blessing of Christ.
1CO 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast as you really are. For Christ our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed.
1CO 7:5 …that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, …so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again…
1CO 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord. A woman is bound to her husband as long as he lives. But if her husband dies, she is free to marry anyone she wishes, but he must belong to the Lord.
1CO 11:24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. And when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body which is for you: do this in remembrance of me.”
GAL 3:1 O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth,… You foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you?
EPH 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones. For we are members of his body.
EPH 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
PHI 3:16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
COL 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: In whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
COL 3:6 For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.
2TH 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, He will punish those who do not know God.
1TI 1:17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God,
1TI 4:12 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, charity, in spirit, in faith, purity. Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
1TI 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself. And constant friction between men of corrupt mind, who have been robbed of the truth and who think that godliness is a means to financial gain.
2TI 1:11 Whereunto I am appointed a preacher, and an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles. And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher.
PHM 1:12 Whom I have sent again: thou therefore receive him, that is, mine own bowels: I am sending him – who is my very heart – back to you.
HEB 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high: The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.
HEB 2:7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands: You made him a little lower than the angels; you crowned him with glory and honor.
HEB 7:21 …The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. …“The Lord has sworn and will not change his mind: You are a priest forever.”
HEB 10:34 For ye had compassion of me in my bonds, and took joyfully the spoiling of your goods, knowing in yourselves that ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance. You sympathized with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting possessions.
1PE 4:1 Forasmuch then as Christ hath suffered for us in the flesh, Therefore, since Christ suffered in his body.
1PE 4:14 If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified. If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.
1PE 5:11 To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. To him be the power for ever and ever. Amen.
2PE 2:17 These are wells without water, clouds that are carried with a tempest; to whom the mist of darkness is reserved for ever. These men are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them.
1JO 2:7 Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning. Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard.
JUD 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. To the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
REV 2:13 I know thy works, and where thou dwellest… I know where you live…
REV 6:1 And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see. (Also in verses 3, 5, and 7) I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, “Come.”
REV 11:17 Saying, We give thee thanks, O LORD God Almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come; because thou hast taken to thee thy great power, and hast reigned. saying: We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign.
REV 12:12 …Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you,… …“But woe to the earth and the sea, because the devil has gone down to you!
REV 16:17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done. The seventh angel poured out his bowl into the air, and out of the temple came a loud voice from the throne, saying, “It is done.”
REV 21:24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it. The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it.

None of the underlined words appear in the NIV text (1978 edition). Occasional reference is made to omitted passages in footnotes. Many of the passages which the NIV does include (but are omitted by the other modern versions) are given a footnote expressing doubt.

God bless,

Stevr

2005/5/30 21:27

Re: What is missing from your Bible?

dear brother,

NOTHING is missing from my Bible.

Don't you worry yourself about it.

This morning in the midst of an outreach to the pagans, I had an older sister in the Lord, come up to me and ask me to pray for the salvation of her two sons, and we covered them in the Precious Blood of Christ, and claimed them for His Glory.

I read and study out of an NIV Bible, and I have no problem with the Blood of Christ, and the Great Provision it gives sinners and saints alike.

Nor do I have problem with the Deity of my Saviour Jesus.

Respectfully, this issue you bring up, is divisive and of no profit.

2005/5/31 0:20
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Hi Neilgin1, I agree with you that this issue can be divisive (in as much as people may disagree with regards to the content of the issue), but I disagree with you that the issue is of no profit.

Neither the AV or NIV have any authority, the only authority comes from the original greek (or copies from the original greek)

Some manuscripts contain verses that others don't and visa-versa.

Personally I think that on the whole, most Christians do not really spend enough time deciding on which bible version to choose, mostly they will go with what their local Church use or what their family have used, or even which one has the nicest cover! :-x.

I would like to encourage anyone to investigate thorougly which version to use, in this day and age we have vast resources to use to aid us in our selection, it's a shame a lot of people don't use them.

Whenever I study the word I find it almost impossible without using the orignal greek because all translations have errors in them.

At the moment, there is no perfect translation, but some are better than others.

It's good to discuss why we think some are better than others, we can learn from this, as long as we respect each other.

2005/5/31 7:16Profile
DezCall

The Netherlands

Re:

Quote:
Whenever I study the word I find it almost impossible without using the orignal greek because all translations have errors in them.

Well, I think I have a problem then. I quit learning Greek 5 years ago and don't know anything about it anymore (or: never at all :-P).

I use different translations simultaneously...NIV, KJV, NKJV, NASB, Darby and...of course...my beloved and wonderful DUTCH Bible!!

I once read a quote here on SI that went something like this:

"Some want to read their Bibles in Hebrew, others in Greek. I prefer to read my Bible in the Holy Ghost"

Without being too "simplistic" and "short-sighted"...I prefer the last as well.

Paul

2005/5/31 7:26Profile
roadsign

Re: it's what's missing is in our hearts

I believe that it is what's missing or inaccurate is in our HEARTS and MINDS that is the bigger concern. It is there where the real interpretation occurs.

It is easy to deny many of its truths, even while zealously proclaiming our belief in the inerrancy of Scripture (or certain versions). For example, we can read God's words, but fail to "look in the mirror of the word" and see how it applies to us.

I believe that it is not the flaws in translation that cause people to stray. It is the sinful desires of the heart, and the tendency to prefer the interpretation of MAN rather than seek the authority of the Spirit.

In persecuted countries Christians are often excited just to have ONE PAGE. Those who hunger for righteousness, truth, God, etc, WILL be filled... No Bible translation will stand in the way of God's promises.

I marvel at how the Bible has been preserved over the centuries. If God had not been working miraculously to preserve it, we would now have something that is of no resemblance to the original.

What's important is emphasized all the way through. There are enough repetition in the Bible, that if one misses the point in one spot, they can surely find it in several others if they are truly open to its truths. Isn't that another marvel?
Diane

2005/5/31 7:26Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Keeping balanced

Think Nasher has a good point here:

Quote:
It's good to discuss why we think some are better than others, we can learn from this, as long as we respect each other.

Did find it interesting that there is some questioning of translators intent due to particular personal belief's, and the suggestion that omissions and bents to different word forms given preference of others because of that...

Something often troubling in this walk, that at the core of Christianity is truth and honesty, to think that in all things this would be true, more so (sounds contradictory) in anything as handling the Word of God.

For all the [i]versions[/i] out and still coming out, it does raise some questions, first, why? Beyond that and troublesome is the dishonesty that certain denominations will have a [i]slant[/i] even if it is merely by placing footnotes, lending to their particular point of view. "Study bibles" can be much in the same way. It was as much by... prompting? Or just unnoticed reasoning that I began ignoring all the study notes in my NKJV. Didn't really notice it until Ron (Philologos) made reference to it awhile back. Prior to that had a "Spirit Filled Life" I believe it was called version, also NKJV but it as well had it's own slant towards Charismatic/Pentecostal reasoning...

But....

There is something very special about that Bible. It was given to me by my soon to become wife, one month after we met and it was then that the Lord sunk the claw in, the 4 a.m. awakenings began and the love of His Word started to develop. Despite the unfortunate (?) path I was on and developing confusion of the whole WOF, etc. There is enough as was made mentioned by Diane, Neil and others here to rebuke, convict, reproof and grasp core, central doctrines.

And something very important Diane mentioned that is often mentioned here;

Quote:
What's important is emphasized all the way through. There are enough repetition in the Bible, that if one misses the point in one spot, they can surely find it in several others if they are truly open to its truths. Isn't that another marvel?

Not only that, but that we ought to be students of the Word in that sense, comparing scripture with scripture to keep us from going off on diversions, holding certain subsections and neglecting the [i]whole[/i].

And yet again, the heart issue, you make some valid and important points there sister. On the flip side is the unfortunate way a lot of new believers can be twisted into confusion due to these particular slants in versions, so to the other side of the issue, to stress the omissions, poor translations and particular... influences is just as valid. [i]Of course[/i] we would want a 'pure' version, who wouldn't?, unless it forced you to let go of a particular name brand abomination* that you are married to...easy now (* that's a little Ravenhillism, as he cleared his throat...)just a poke there, but unfortunately it is true.

Wonder sometimes if it is not an accident that all these things happen, forcing us to not only search the scriptures diligently but just as well prove where our hearts are and how effectively the Word has cut there in our dealings with one another and ourselves... Especially on an issue as easily divisive as this. A bit ironic ain't it?

Like many, keep coming back to the KJV for some reason other than because of all the reasoning that I have heard over the years, if I was to counsel a new believer it would be towards that, even with the 'archaic' word styling, it also forces one to learn more in areas helpful, like a dictionary, and language in general. It is something this generation is lacking, a consideration for [i]words[/i] and their meanings and intents at the outset.

Since I am rambling...
Wish to God that we could find the men with pure motives that were also scholarly, take all the old manuscripts available, lock them in a room...

Probably would still end up with a bunch of dead corpses... never mind :-? We are miserable creatures, even the 'best' of us...

But to reiterate, "[i]as long as we respect each other[/i]"

2005/5/31 9:12Profile
Nasher

Watford, UK

Re:

Well, I think I have a problem then. I quit learning Greek 5 years ago and don't know anything about it anymore (or: never at all :-P ).

Don't feel bad Dezcall, I've never learnt Greek!

Although I know a few Greek words now ;-)

2005/5/31 9:39Profile

Re:

Nasher said:

Quote:

Nasher wrote:
Well, I think I have a problem then. I quit learning Greek 5 years ago and don't know anything about it anymore (or: never at all :-P ).

Don't feel bad Dezcall, I've never learnt Greek!

Although I know a few Greek words now ;-)

Steve's response:
You don't need to read it in Greek. All you need is the King James, a Strongs Exhaustive Concordance, and a Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language.

The King James was translated by Erasmus who relied on the "Received Text", the "Textus Receptus" that had been relied upon by the Christian Church for over 1,600 years. He had the Alexandrian Text- the Sinacitus Aleph & the Vaticanus B to use as reference, but chose not to do so, unlike Westcott & Hort who changed tradition for their own reasons and switched to the corrupt Alexandrian text.

Also, a good tool to use is the Living Bible. It also relies only on the Textus Receptus, but is not a word for word translation, but a paraphrase of the text. A side by side trabslation of the King James and Living Bible (one Bible} can be found in many Bible Bookstores.

God Bless,

Stever

2005/6/1 23:31
ReceivedText

Seattle, Washington, USA

Re: Stever

Quote:
You don't need to read it in Greek. All you need is the King James, a Strongs Exhaustive Concordance, and a Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary of the English Language.

Touche, Stever! You're right. You don't need to read it in Greek. We are not Muslims. We don't have to learn one language to know what God requires of us. (For Islam it is Arabic)

What most Greek scholars don't realize is that they put themselves in the same place over the people as the Roman priests did in the Middle Ages. The priest held the mass and homily in Latin and the people were supposed to trust their souls to his interpretation. Why? Because he knew Latin and they didn't.

Today these Greek scholars get bit by the elite bug and "re-translate" the Bible all the time. They say, "In the original Greek it REALLY says ...." And they attempt to correct widely accepted holy writ preserved by martyr's blood. They place themselves above the people and preach that you can't REALLY understand the Bible unless you know Greek. If they don't say it, they sure imply it. They obviously communicate that there is always a lack of understanding of the Bible among folks who only speak their vernacular language (for us English). If it was really enough to speak one's native tongue to serve God and understand His word, these men wouldn't preach saying, "In the original Greek..". Why? Because there would be no need of teaching the common people the "original Greek." Preachers would just say, "Read the Bible for yourselves." But I think maybe subconsciously they couldn't bear that folks not NEED them and their expertise. Pride? You be the judge. But without a doubt this exposes the error of their ways.

I invite you to avail yourselves of a wealth of resources on this topic at:

[url=http://www.believeonjesus.com/artbiblever.asp]http://www.believeonjesus.com/artbiblever.asp[/url]

You will find several e-books and articles you may read for free.

Blessings,

RT

2005/6/2 0:43Profile
ravin

Washington st. u.S. A.

Re: What is missing from your Bible?

I believe if you leave out little things long enuff, the story starts to change.
thanks for bring it up. Whats bread with out flour?

2005/6/2 1:01Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy