SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Some sound advice needed please.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re: My

Quote:
there is some wonderful counsel here from these brethren

Yes! Thank you all!
I must say i have done the following for many years now;
Quote:
I'd lay my hand on the wall through towards the noisy neighbours and pray for them, as many good things as I could think of, as well as for grace to bear their desperate behaviour. You've got to believe that praying will make a difference.

But i will now set myself to do this everyday, to keep knocking on the door until God answers!
Quote:
As for your neighbors? Let me ask you one question, "if the Lord put you and your husband there for a short time to pray for and possibly witness to thoughs who will go to eternal hell without you two, would you be willing stay for Jesus' sake and the gospel?"

I believe it's Gods will that we are here at the moment. Let me share with you briefly something that has been going on these past few weeks...
A young lad in the downstairs flat opposite is part of a notorious family here. When he moved in with his girlfriend and their young baby his music was loud and he always had a gang of youths gathered outside. One day the old lady in the flat opposite him was keeping a friends car on her drive and the same youths were caught steeling the car. Things weren't looking good for this young lad Adam. His next door neighbours are a backsliden christian family who attended our church (the grandfather still does). When the car was stolen my husband Aaron went over to talk to Adam and say these things could not go on or he will get evicted. Surprised that someone had the decency to tell him how the neighbours felt Adam began to slowly change his ways, a shock for me. Aaron became someone he looked up to (even though there was only a gap of about 5 years between them, Aaron being older.)Whenever his music was too loud we would ask him to turn it down. Then Adam went through periods of completely ignoring us for reasons we didn't know of. Then as my husband went outside one of Adams BIG friends threatend to punch my husband because he thought he was looking at him the wrong way. So my husband went back indoors and we began to pray about the situation. The following day Aaron went over to speak with Adam and thats when everything came out. Adam thought all the neighbours had complained to the council about him but this simply wasn't the case, in fact we thought we were getting on! As it turned out his next door neighbours had complained and took out an injunction against him because they thought he was going to beat up their son. Yet we later found their son was prvocking Adam. They also complained about all the rubbish in his garden. When we challenged him on it he said he had no means to get it to the tip, so my husband offered to help. Later that day the guy that threatened Aaron came over and apologized and we eventually cleared Adams garden. At the same time Aaron shared our faith. Adam has been a good neighbour since and if he steps out of line we can pull him up over it. Glory to God!!!
I think the last straw for me in regards to living here was when the children were playing in the front garden and suddenly the police descended on the area in great numbers, the helicopter and police plane circling above. As it turned out the shop across the street had two young lads hiding out with a gun. Thank God noone was hurt and i praise God for keeping all the children safe.
Daryl, you wrote;
Quote:
Have you and your husband let your local fellowship know about your finicial needs? and your desire for a different place to live? It's always good to start with a few close friends in church and get these folks praying. I believe the Lord has placed everything to meet the practical needs within each body of believers. There could be some help there?

Yes, this is where some of the attack is coming from. I recently shared with them my desire to go to EBC and that i had been accepted to go. Instead of support they were horrified i would even contemplate going so far and that i should stay at home and go out here in our own streets. My pastor wasn't keen on the idea and would rather i take up his teaching on evangelism. It was announced in a prayer meeting and everyone began to argue about it while i sat there dumbfounded. Daryl, i couldn't believe what my ears were hearing and what my eyes were seeing.
I think the reason things have been really getting to me is because of the lack of support from my breathren. :-(
Yet as Dorcus wrote i think all thats left for me to do now is to;
Quote:
pray for these things like you're beating on a door which will open eventually. The spiritual 'noise' and chaos will yield as you learn to lay hold on God to make the difference.

I thank God for all who have given me such good advice that have reminded me on what i should be doing. I had just given up hope because the situation has gone on for so long and the only time i have for prayer is either very early morning or in the evening when the children are in bed by which time im exhausted. I suppose i must just press on but this time set myself to keep beating on that door until i get an answer!
In His Love, Geraldine

2005/5/31 3:08
Spitfire

Re:

Geraldine, I saw your post yesterday and just began to pray for you and your family. As I was praying, I quickly remembered that you were going to EBC and how ecstatic you were upon realizing that your prayers had been answered. I just really felt that this attack and test you have suddenly come under is just a part of the spiritual "price" you are having to pay to attend this Boot Camp. The enemy would love to turn you back and discourage you. I prayed that God would renew your vision and encourage you by his spirit and give you eyes to see what he sees. I know it must be hard to be living in a neighborhood like that, but I'm sure God's grace is sufficient for you there.

You know what I thought about? Elizabeth Elliott. Have you ever read the book, [u]Through Gates of Splendor[/u]? Well, what I was thinking about was about how Elizabeth, after her husband was murdered by the Aucas, went into the village where it happened with her 3 year old daughter and continued the work which her husband and the others had begun! That's hard for me to fathom how she could have felt safe. But, if God be for you, who can be against you?

You just work on your thoughts. One thing God has taught me is to recognize when my thoughts take me "out" of faith. Keep your vision ever before you with faith in the God of the promise. I'm excited that the enemy felt he needed to pressure you. That's a good sign you're doing something right. :-D Love you. I'll continue to lift you and your family in prayer. Dian.

2005/5/31 6:31Profile
DezCall

The Netherlands

Re:

Dear sister,

I received a quote on my mail yesterday. Of course there is at times a gap between "trying to hold on" and "reality" in our life. A desire to believe, but the reality of despair...but...it doesn't change the truth. It only reveals that without Christ we can do nothing.

I cannot fathom what you're going through, but I pray that these simple words may give you that little comfort and encouragement to "hold on" and "press on". [i]He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it. (1 Thes 5:24)[/i]

Well...here is that quote:

[b]Don't doubt in the dark what God has shown you in the light.[/b]

I prayed for you. Paul

2005/5/31 6:42Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Praying always with all...

Ah Geraldine some bittersweet things here.

The situation with...

Quote:
I recently shared with them my desire to go to EBC and that i had been accepted to go. Instead of support they were horrified i would even contemplate going so far and that i should stay at home and go out here in our own streets. My pastor wasn't keen on the idea and would rather i take up his teaching on evangelism. It was announced in a prayer meeting and everyone began to argue about it while i sat there dumbfounded. Daryl, i couldn't believe what my ears were hearing and what my eyes were seeing.

How many times we have heard similar things, one thing for counsel and consideration but instead of encouragement...
Quote:
I think the reason things have been really getting to me is because of the lack of support from my breathren.

But alas! There is this quirky cyberspace place, God knows the hearts that bleed and grieve and intercede here. We are here for you sister! Be of good cheer!

A chunk of gold here...
Quote:
You just work on your thoughts. One thing God has taught me is to recognize when my thoughts take me "out" of faith

2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Was just reading...

[i]Of late I feel painfully convinced that I do not pray enough. Lord, give me the spirit of prayer and of supplication. Oh, what a cause of thankfullness is it that we have a gracious God to whom to go on all occasions! Use and enjoy this privilege and you can never be miserable. Who gives thanks for this royal privilege? It put's God in everything, His wisdom, power, control and safety. Oh, what an unspeakable privilege is prayer! Let us give thanks for it. I do not prove all the power of prayer that I wish.[/i] ~ (Lady Maxwell of Edinburgh)

Thus we see that the remedy for nonpraying is praying. The cure for little praying is more praying. Praying can produce all things necessary for our good.

For this excellent woman praying embraced all things and included everything.

... (from a letter) she tells her friend that she wants "more faith. Cry mightily for it, and stir up the gift of God that is in you."

Whether the need was a small secular thing as a servant, or a great spiritual grace, prayer was the means to attain that end and supply that want. "There is nothing," she writes to a dear correspondent, "so hurtful to the nervous system as anxiety. It preys upon the vitals and weakens the whole frame, and what is more than all, it grieves the Holy Spirit." Her remedy, again, for a common evil, was prayer.

How prayer disburdens us of care by bringing God in to relieve and possess and hold! The apostle Paul says:

"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phi 4:6,7

From E.M. Bounds ~ The Weapon of Prayer.
Quote:
the only time i have for prayer is either very early morning or in the evening when the children are in bed by which time im exhausted.

Following you here and still, recall the "Practicing", "Without ceasing", You can pray as you breath, as you work, as you drive and even in between thoughts. Just to keep drawing back to the Center, imperfect for sure, but that we might keep our thoughts fixed...

Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
Heb 12:3 For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

Boy, I needed to hear myself say all this! Praise God, thanks sister! :-D That the Lord would draw you to Himself all the day long. You have our supplications

2005/5/31 10:23Profile
rookie

Re:

Sister Geraldine,

You are not alone in the sufferings you mention. In the book of Psalms we often hear the cries of David. David at times is a very lonely man. You can hear the cries of his heart and yet he always ends in the same way, basically, "I will trust in the Lord." Listen to some of his thougts in these Psalms 11-13.

Psa. 11:0 To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.

Psa. 11:1 In the LORD I put my trust;
How can you say to my soul,
“Flee as a bird to your mountain”?
2 For look! The wicked bend their bow,
They make ready their arrow on the string,
That they may shoot secretly at the upright in heart.
3 If the foundations are destroyed,
What can the righteous do?
4 The LORD is in His holy temple,
The LORD’S throne is in heaven;
His eyes behold,
His eyelids test the sons of men.
5 The LORD tests the righteous,
But the wicked and the one who loves violence His soul hates.
6 Upon the wicked He will rain coals;
Fire and brimstone and a burning wind
Shall be the portion of their cup.
7 For the LORD is righteous,
He loves righteousness;
His countenance beholds the upright.

Psa. 12:0 To the Chief Musician. On an eight-stringed harp. A Psalm of David.

Psa. 12:1 Help, LORD, for the godly man ceases!
For the faithful disappear from among the sons of men.
2 They speak idly everyone with his neighbor;
With flattering lips and a double heart they speak.
3 May the LORD cut off all flattering lips,
And the tongue that speaks proud things,
4 Who have said,
“With our tongue we will prevail;
Our lips are our own;
Who is lord over us?”
5 “For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy,
Now I will arise,” says the LORD;
“I will set him in the safety for which he yearns.”
6 The words of the LORD are pure words,
Like silver tried in a furnace of earth,
Purified seven times.
7 You shall keep them, O LORD,
You shall preserve them from this generation forever.
8 The wicked prowl on every side,
When vileness is exalted among the sons of men.

Psa. 13:0 To the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.

Psa. 13:1 How long, O LORD? Will You forget me forever?
How long will You hide Your face from me?
2 How long shall I take counsel in my soul,
Having sorrow in my heart daily?
How long will my enemy be exalted over me?
3 Consider and hear me, O LORD my God;
Enlighten my eyes,
Lest I sleep the sleep of death;
4 Lest my enemy say,
“I have prevailed against him”;
Lest those who trouble me rejoice when I am moved.
5 But I have trusted in Your mercy;
My heart shall rejoice in Your salvation.
6 I will sing to the LORD,
Because He has dealt bountifully with me.

God is his focus, his salvation. This work that He does in you Geraldine will bring you to the point where He will give you similar understanding that David possessed.

Listen for the daily manna that comes for His words in Scripture. He is faithful to overcome.

In Christ
Jeff

2005/5/31 12:29Profile
dohzman

I'll pray

:-( sorry to hear about the break down in your local fellowship. It seems that sometimes leadership in local churches isn't really to encouraging when it comes to anythiong outside of that fellowship, and that's a shame. I'll keep you in prayer that The God of all grace will give you and your family favor in the sight of all. Blessing in Christ Bro. Daryl

2005/5/31 13:21Profile

Re:

Hi again Geraldine,

Quote:
Yes, this is where some of the attack is coming from. I recently shared with them my desire to go to EBC and that i had been accepted to go. Instead of support they were horrified i would even contemplate going so far and that i should stay at home and go out here in our own streets.

A friend of mine who lived in the south was dating a young man from Manchester. He assured us that his mates thought he was mad for having a girlfriend 200 miles away, as none of them would have thought of [i]starting[/i] a relationship with someone beyond their very near locality. I wonder if there is a little of this in the reaction you received at church?

I would encourage you to continue to believe in the validity of hearing different people speak and minister. God uses this to confirm His word to our hearts - when you [i]know[/i] that a preacher could not possibly know anything about your circumstances, preferences, difficulties and he still brings the word of God to your heart with dazzling accuracy, this is of great comfort. It also enables you to respond to God with a freshness and conviction which can have ebbed away when faced repeatedly with the same small, inter-related? group of Christians.

Quote:
How prayer disburdens us of care by bringing God in to relieve and possess and hold!

...Thus we see that the remedy for nonpraying is praying. The cure for little praying is more praying. Praying can produce all things necessary for our good.

...You can pray as you breath, as you work, as you drive and even in between thoughts. Just to keep drawing back to the Center

Amen, amen, amen!

Depending how much time you spend at the kitchen sink, it can be a blessing, also, to post up a hymn to sing, according to the Lord's leading. Even if you don't sing it often, this can be a great help, while the usefulness of the particular hymn lasts - and a good way to learn the words to be ministered to you in the future, by the Holy Spirit.

As Jeff was saying of David, here are some lines from Madame Guyon, who was imprisoned in the legendary Bastille prison (Paris) for her faith. I've never seen the first verse before, but you may feel it applies to you, just a little.

One of my favorite tunes, Walton, does not seem to be online, but if you know it, (to We sing the praise of Him who died!) it seems to lift these words in a particular way, right up to God.

Tune: Elim (Hesperus)
[url=http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/g/ogodlove.htm]http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/o/g/ogodlove.htm[/url]

Tune: Williams
[url=http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/t/lthsasmt.htm]http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/l/t/lthsasmt.htm[/url]

O thou, by long experience tried,
Near whom no grief can long abide;
My love! how full of sweet content
I pass my years of banishment!

[b]All scenes alike engaging prove
To souls impressed with sacred love!
Where'er they dwell, they dwell in thee;
In heaven, in earth, or on the sea.

To me remains nor place nor time;
My country is in every clime;
I can be calm and free from care
On any shore, since God is there.

While place we seek, or place we shun,
The soul finds happiness in none;
But, with a God to guide our way,
'Tis equal joy to go or stay.

Could I be cast where thou art not,
That were indeed a dreadful lot;
But regions none remote I call,
Secure of finding God in all.

My country, Lord, art thou alone;
Nor other can I claim or own;
The point where all my wishes meet;
My law, my love, life's only sweet!

I hold by nothing here below;
Appoint my journey and I go;
Though pierced by scorn, oppressed by pride,
I feel thee good--feel nought beside.

No frowns of men can hurtful prove
To souls on fire with heavenly love;
Though men and devils both condemn,
No gloomy days arise from them.

Ah, then! to his embrace repair;
My soul, thou art no stranger there;
There love divine shall be thy guard,
And peace and safety thy reward[/b].

About the money, I know God has perfect timing in all things and it is always a test of faith to wait on Him for the outworking of His will; so, I would not be disillusioned if it doesn't come through in time, this time, as I've heard the testimonies of others who, when all things come together and [i]happen[/i] they know exactly what God has accomplished through making them wait (over and above their original 'plan').

I don't want to dint your faith or hope AT ALL, but, I see this situation lays you open to be discouraged and I seek to avert such an outcome, as, God always has things in hand. Oswald Chambers calls it the 'intimacy of God's silence'. Is this what you have regarding EBC? For sure, this cannot be cultivated or manufactured.

2005/5/31 16:26

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy