SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : There are three that bear witness

Print Thread (PDF)

PosterThread
docs

There are three that bear witness

4 For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world - our faith.

5 - And who is the one who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

6 - This is the one who came by water and blood, Jesus Christ; not with water only, but with the water and with the blood.

7 - And it is the Spirit who bears witness, because the Spirit is the truth.

8 - For there are three that bear witness, the Spirit and the water and the blood; and these three are in agreement. (I John 5:4-8)

I know I've been over this before at other times with other believers. Yet we read I John ch 5 in our home group last night and discussed it. The whole book is excellent of course but this chapter is very good at explaining Christ and exalting Him. You likely know where I'm going but I'll ask it anyway -

What does He came by water and the blood indicate? Is it concerning natural childbirth where water and blood are part of what is going on or is there something else spoken of here? Is John 19:34 related -

34 but one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately there came out water and blood.

Is this the water and blood He came by? So are we speaking natural childbirth in I John 5 or is this referring to events at he crucifixion? Or can it be both in a way? Just wondering. We were pretty intrigued to go over it again last night. And this is just one of the good parts. I'm asking all this to get to another grand point singled out in the chapter. I can save that for later. So good folks, although you've likely gone over it before, what do you think? Comments welcome from all and anyone. I wish and hope that maybe some that only look in and don't post might offer a comment or two. No one is going to get at you in a negative way. We can make sure of that.

But the Spirit (the Truth)and the water and the blood bear witness regarding Christ but what is the water and the blood that the Spirit bears witness of? May the Lord Christ be magnified.

2016/7/23 9:56Profile

Re: There are three that bear witness

From Wikipedia

"The composition of the human body can be looked at from the point of view of either mass composition, or atomic composition. To illustrate both views, the adult male human body is approximately 57% water, and water is 11% hydrogen by mass but 67% by count of atoms (i.e. 67 atomic percent). Thus, most of the mass of the human body is oxygen, but most of the atoms in the human body are hydrogen atoms. Both mass-composition and atomic composition figures are given below (see pie graphs and table).

Body composition may also be analyzed in terms of molecular type (e.g., water, protein, connective tissue, fats (or lipids) apatite (in bones), carbohydrates (such as glycogen and glucose) and DNA. In terms of tissue type, the body may be analyzed into water, fat, muscle, bone, etc. In terms of cell type, the body contains hundreds of different types of cells, but notably, the largest number of cells contained in a human body (though not the largest mass of cells) are not human cells, but consist of bacteria (bacterial cells) residing in the normal human gastrointestinal tract.
Almost 99% of the mass of the human body is made up of six elements: oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorus. Only about 0.85% is composed of another five elements: potassium, sulfur, sodium, chlorine, and magnesium. All are necessary for life. The remaining elements are trace elements, of which more than a dozen are thought to be necessary for life."

Jesus took on the form of a flesh and blood human being upon his entry into this material world. He lived his earthly life fully as a man and he conquered satan, hell and death as a sinless man who trusted in his Father. That is reason he was tempted like we are. He could have failed and separate himself from God's his Fathers influence and become a God unto Himself. Jesus resisted the lie to live independently of his Father in the same strength that we were initially able to. Adam failed, Jesus did not. The second Adam, Jesus Christ entered the world without sin and won the eternal victory as a man trusting in his Father. Unlike Adam he did not fail. He did not rely on his power as the Son of God but yielded his life fully to his Father as a man. Satan had no legal right to put Jesus Christ to death and yet he was permitted to in God's eternal purpose. Satan and his demons never called Jesus the son of man while he was he here. I think this is why. Satan committed high treason by killing an innocent man unlike all of us. Jesus died as a man and he rose again as a man with some changes to his material composition. The second adam Jesus Christ defeated satan as a man and not relying on his eternal attributes as the Son of God. Thank you Lord.

2016/7/23 11:28
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Re: There are three that bear witness

HI David,

Most commentaries agree with this exposition from Wesleys Explanatory notes:
"The Spirit — In the word, confirmed by miracles.

The water — Of baptism, wherein we are dedicated to the Son, (with the Father and Spirit,) typifying his spotless purity, and the inward purifying of our nature.

And the blood — Represented in the Lord's supper, and applied to the consciences of believer. And these three harmoniously agree in one - In bearing the same testimony,-that Jesus Christ is the divine, the complete, the only Saviour of the world."

Blessings,

William

2016/7/23 17:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy