SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Francis Chan, Hillsong United, Pope Francis Will Pray for Revival This Saturday

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Francis Chan, Hillsong United, Pope Francis Will Pray for Revival This Saturday

NEW YORK — Influential evangelical leaders throughout the U.S. will fly to Washington, D.C. this weekend to join a crowd of as many as 1 million Christians to pray and worship together for the nation.

Inspired by Nick Hall, founder of PULSE, "Together 2016" is a prayer and evangelism movement to empower the church and awaken the culture to Jesus. Americans are being urged to unite on the National Mall, July 16, to offer prayer that God will change the hearts of individuals and thus change the nation.

"It's a gathering for all people to come together under the banner of Jesus. The only agenda is Jesus," Hall told The Christian Post. "It's the church from all backgrounds — Lutherans, Catholics, Pentecostals. It's going to be worship, it's going to be prayer, and it's going to be lifting up Jesus and praying that He changes our hearts individually. We're talking about a reset in our lives and ultimately a reset in this generation. We really believe that there's a heart issue and that God wants our heart."

The college pastor came up with the radical idea of uniting pastors and Christian leaders from all denominational backgrounds to join 1 million people at the free event in hopes of inspiring true revival in America.

"We feel like throughout history and throughout Scripture when times get rough there's only one solution for people of faith and that's to call the people together," he said.

Hall spoke of past generations, dating back to biblical times, where the people of God gathered and prayed. He felt the need to spearhead this event because he maintained that this generation is in dark times and it has not had a gathering of this magnitude to pray.

"The Gathering is just about Jesus, there's a lot of gatherings for different causes but we really believe there's something about just dialing it back and saying, 'We need Jesus more than anything else' and [letting others know] that Jesus is for everyone and that Jesus changes everything," Hall continued.

read more: http://www.christianpost.com/news/together-2016-1m-christians-francis-chan-hillsong-united-pope-francis-will-pray-for-revival-this-saturday-interview-166441/

2016/7/14 10:21Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re: Francis Chan, Hillsong United, Pope Francis Will Pray for Revival This Saturday

Amen?

2016/7/14 11:54Profile

Re: Francis Chan, Hillsong United, Pope Francis Will Pray for Revival This Saturday

Hmmm. I wonder if the Muslims and the LBGT have been invited do this? For that matter what about the Mormons and the Jehovah Witnesses?

Just wondering. Since we got the Pope involved in this.

2016/7/14 11:55

Re: Todd

Bro are you being cynical with your "amen".

2016/7/14 12:00

Re:

Uh saints am I missing something here? We have Francis Chan and the pope praying together for revival? We have evangelicals and Catholics coming together praying for revival?

Am I the only one in the forum that sees something wrong with this picture? I mean is this the same Francis who was reaching out to Hindis, Muslims, and the LBGT wanting to include everybody under one big world religion?

Will somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. But there is something wrong with this picture.

2016/7/14 12:06
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

I am choosing to ignore the big and seek out the small. Protestant, Catholic, Pentecostal, whatever that calls itself Christian --- it just makes no sense to me about the bigness of events, names and gatherings.

Let's assume Pope Francis had the same sort of mind as Francis Schaeffer and that he's not Pope Francis. Doesn't help the situation: still big.

There is not a moment in American history where a publicized prayer event turned the course of men, hearts or circumstances. The big worship. The big names. The big men. Oh, God repent of us our bigness! "We are so big we HAVE to be heard, Lord!" "See us Lord? You HAVE to see us now! Look how many of us there are singing and praying and look who this is on the stage, Lord? The POPE is even involved, Lord. Do we not mean anything to you at all?!?"

No, my friends. I know our brother Blaine takes issue with this on the Catholic involvement. I don't disagree. But, it just seems to me that, even without that, this is a performance. Perhaps well intended on some level, so I won't be harsh. But I will be honest. This is not brokenness. This is bigness.

May I tell you what I would ask those who plan this? Did Dallas precipitate this? Are we now in a place where we are calling out to God because there is a frenzy in the nation? Would you even be doing this now over the sinfulness of the church if Dallas had not happened? Are you even doing this now over the sinfulness of the church? Or, are you simply driven by a sense of crisis? What are you praying FOR? What will you ask God to DO?

Brothers and sisters, I submit to you that I think this gathering is more symptomatic of our problem as the church than it is seeking God in truth to awaken her. I hope I'm wrong. But, I see branding and bragging and more of the same.

2016/7/14 12:32Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

Replying to myself: :)

This event was planned farther back and I want to acknowledge that.

My assessment is even less hopeful, though. This is all part of the larger darkness of the American Evangelical church as a whole.

Dismantle the big. Unwind the web of success, prosperity and repent of what passes for Christianity in this country. That's something to get together for. As it looks, Together2016 may turn into Together2017 and 2018 and is just another conference with a slate of big names designed to get Christians to spend money on other Christians.

2016/7/14 12:43Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Saints,

The reason I posted the event again was because of the title including the term "revival". This shows how mis-informed believers are towards the use of that word, when they "pray for revival" is the term I wanted to highlight. It is interesting that even catholics now are seeking to use the term. Strange days we are living in.

2016/7/14 12:50Profile

Re: Tim

Brother I do agree. I was looking at the Catholic involvement. But you also bring up the idea of size. In America we tend to think that bigger is better. Also associate some big names with it and God is going to bless it. I think this will be just another large evangelical extravaganza with no substance. A lot of noise but no power. Though there may be some brokenhearted saints praying at this gathering, I don't expect much to come from it.

Simply my thoughts bro.

2016/7/14 12:55

Re: Greg

Brother I would so agree. Strange days we are living in. Catholics praying for revival??? Being a little cynical I would have to ask what are they praying to revive???

I guess next we will see prayer events with Muslims and Mormons and Jehovah Witnesses praying for revival.

Okay enough cynicism. :-) But then brother I wonder with the deception that's going around???

Brother Blaine

2016/7/14 12:59

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy