Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Your thoughts on this quote

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
TMK

NC, USA

Your thoughts on this quote

Someone posted this on FB and something about it didn't sit 100% right with me. What do y'all think?

“Accept what God sends into your life whether you understand it or not.” –Tim Keller

2016/6/29 12:25Profile

Re: Your thoughts on this quote

I agree bro. Doesn't it 100% with me either. There is stuff that comes into our life that could be of the enemy. As Tozso admonishes us. We must test the spirits. Or at least examine what is coming into our life to see if it is of God. Even then we must pray how to respond if it comes into our life if it is of Him.

There is stuff that comes into my life that is simply the result of my own sin and flesh. I can't say that is of God.

Simply my thiughts bro.

2016/6/29 12:56
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

I am unsure what he means.

I am unsure what "sends into your life" means.

It was a tweet, probably, right? ;)

2016/6/29 12:57Profile
TMK

NC, USA

Re:

It was actually just a quote/meme on FB.

I think the gist is that we may have hardships etc in life and we are to be content and deal with it.

My initial thought (and how I responded) was what if God sends something into our life to see what we will do? What if He does not want us to just accept it? What if David had simply "accepted" Goliath?

2016/6/29 14:08Profile
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Yeah I'm weary of vague statements posed as absolutes... just leaves too much room for deception and generally I've found them to be lacking.
Not to say I haven't given voice to personal experiences in this way with good intentions but usually got gut checked by Holy Spirit so maybe that's why I'm a lil weary of them.

Having said that, because of it's vagueness it can find compliments in scripture depending on how one reads it... for example, like when Paul asserts that he had learned the secret of contentment wether in lack or abundance, wether bound or free-
But again it's a very subjective thing imo.

edit for spelling

2016/6/29 16:04Profile
dolfan

Tennessee, but my home's in Alabama

Re:

There's a scene in the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou?" where Governor Pappy O'Daniels' two assistants (not his son, but the other two guys) are sitting on a veranda and debating which phrase to use to describe how badly Pappy will be beaten in his re-election bid. Pappy's cigar dangles from his lips while he looks at them with the ultimate deadpan expression of frustration.

I don't want to go there in analyzing Keller's phrasing. :)

"Well, I'd say God sent that into his life."
"No, I don't believe so. I think this is more of a God ALLOWED it situation."

You get the idea.

I'm not big on Keller's writing. Lots of people are.

2016/6/29 16:29Profile

Re:

You don't always know right away if God sent it into your life. And you don't accept anything unless the Lord confirms it to you in your spirit and through the Word.

Once you find out it is not from God, you resist and reject in in Jesus name.

This is ambiguous, spiritual, feel good writing that sounds good on the surface.

2016/6/29 17:07
JFW

Dothan, Alabama

Re: brother Tim

Haha! That was good bro;)

2016/6/29 19:13Profile
StirItUp

Johannesburg, South Africa

Well to be fair, the quote does say: Accept what GOD sends into your life ... so really the issue would be discerning whether it was actually GOD Who sent it :)

2016/7/1 5:08Profile
alamb

High Point, NC

Re:

If you think that God has sent you any of your difficulties in life, no matter what your reasoning is, you wind up giving power to your troubles and that makes them a lot harder to get rid of...:)

2016/7/3 1:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy