SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Authority of the Scriptures

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

The written word is God's spoken word to the writers of the Bible.
Every word of God is equally spoken of Him.

The bible says that the word was God:

John 1:1-3
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

First there was the word who is God and then later it/he became flesh.

Genesis 1:2-3
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Psalms 33:6
By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth.

John 1:14
14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

1st John 1:1-3
1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

2 (For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was manifested unto us;)

3 That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that ye also may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father, and with his Son Jesus Christ.

John's revelation (spoken word of God) was made into a book.

Revelation 22:18-19
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

The testimony of the apostles, and the revelation given to them along with the prophets constitutes the foundation of the church. The foundation is finished, now we are in the work of building.
***Revelations given to us are for the building and can not change the foundations.***

Ephesians 2:20-22
And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

Galatians 1:8
But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

2016/6/14 15:26

Re:

Thanks Blaine. Tozsu, as the writers of scripture heard the word, so must we too. What we hear will be the same as what they heard meaning there will be no discrepancy.

2016/6/14 15:29

Re:

"What we hear will be the same as what they heard meaning there will be no discrepancy."

If we do not hear from an other source. There are three sources that we can hear from:

1. holy spirit
2. human spirit
3. demonic spirit

This is how we identify the source: If what we hear agrees with the bible it is from the Holy Spirit.

2016/6/14 15:40

Re:

Yes agreed but when we are complete in Christ, we will discern the source immediately. My sheep hear my voice. Of course if we are suspicious that it might be from another source we need to check but generally we know if we are following Him as we ought.

This discernment is a gift from God to the godly.

2016/6/14 15:44

Re:

"The written word is God's spoken word to the writers of the Bible."

I would like to correct my statement by this:
Not every word in the Bible is God's word, but some are.
However every word in the Bible is inspired by God.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

2016/6/14 15:49

Re:

Brenda said:
"Yes agreed but when we are complete in Christ, we will discern the source immediately. My sheep hear my voice. Of course if we are suspicious that it might be from another source we need to check but generally we know if we are following Him as we ought.

This discernment is a gift from God to the godly."

It depends how "complete" we are and how crafty the devil is.

Matthew 24:24
For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

The apostles took the effort to warn the saints at several occasion of deception. For some reason they did not assume that those believers being "complete" will automatically hear the shepherd's voice. They commended the Bereans that they were diligent and checked everything.
Even good people can be deceived.

2016/6/14 16:03

Re:

Yes agreed that even the elect can be deceived and must know the scriptures but generally they recognise His voice.

The warnings in the NT were generally for the less mature.

2016/6/14 16:10

Re:

Quote:
by brenda7 on 2016/6/14 15:44:22

Yes agreed but when we are complete in Christ, we will discern the source immediately. My sheep hear my voice. Of course if we are suspicious that it might be from another source we need to check but generally we know if we are following Him as we ought.

This discernment is a gift from God to the godly.

Amen, just as a child is familiar with their mother and father's voice, with a continued "hearing" of the Good Shepherd's voice by the Spirit and in the Word and through obedience we grow and learn to tell the difference between other voices. We must know the truth to be able to tell the difference between the subtle lies of the enemy. It is much like drinking pure water and drinking polluted water. They both look like water, so how do you tell the difference?

All men need water to survive but not all water is good for you. Jesus intimated as much when He said:

"Whosoever drinketh of this water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life" (John 4:14).

The Lord knows that his Enemy also offers "water".

You can see that He is contrasting His water with "other" water.

Water is used for Bible doctrine, for the perfect Word of God: Ephesians 5:26, "....to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word."

The water that God gives us is pure, untainted water. It is not foul and contains nothing that could harm us.

Heb_10:22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with PURE water.

Rev_22:1 And he shewed me a PURE river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

Contrast that with foul water which is a metaphor in the Bible for false doctrine and teachings.

Eze 34:19 And as for my flock, they eat that which ye have trodden with your feet; AND THEY DRINK THAT WHICH YE HAVE FOULED WITH YOUR FEET.

Eze 32:2 Son of man, take up a lamentation for Pharaoh king of Egypt, and say unto him, Thou art like a young lion of the nations, and thou art as a whale in the seas: and thou camest forth with thy rivers, and TROUBLEDST THE WATERS WITH THY FEET, and FOULEDST THEIR RIVERS.

Feet are also an interesting thing:
God told Joshua that "Every place that the sole of your foot shall tread upon, that have I given unto you, as I said unto Moses."

The Enemy of Christ wants to take possession of every place his foot trods and he is most interested in trodding upon men. Eastern conquerors used to set their feet on the necks of conquered princes, Joshua 10:22. There is not much you can do when men are standing on your neck. Remember, he seeks to counterfeit Christ, setting himself up to men AS Christ. He wants all authority and he wants to give you his water and have you drink from him. Who you drink from is who you are giving authority over to in your life.

Men can stand beside you, under you or above you, metaphorically speaking. Feet can signify authority and possession and standing.

Interestingly, Jesus does not force-feed us the water of life. We have to receive His cup of salvation and then bring it to our "mouth" and drink deeply of it. The taking and receiving of what God gives is our responsibility. The giving is His.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

I suspect we have all drank of fouled water (mixture, lies and truth). Maybe we should sip a bit more and gulp less. Slosh it around in our mouths a bit and see if we sense any bitter taste before we actually "swallow" it. Sometimes, you just don't know something is bad for you until you actually do swallow it (act on it) so we need our "senses (palate) exercised to discern both good and evil" (Heb 5:13).

Unlike Adam, I don't believe we are supposed to "know" evil by experiencing it? We are to discern it, and flee from it, but not experience it. By partaking of Jesus (pure Water of Life), we will know what is foul water (discernment) and refuse it.

You actually have to act on God's Word to know if it is true. Head knowledge won't do it.

John 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

Here is a good test that you can keep in mind. If it takes away from Jesus Christ in any way, or diminishes Him or brings Him lower than something or someone, then it just might be a cup you don't want to drink from.

2016/6/14 16:11

Re:

"The warnings in the NT were generally for the less mature."

We can even be deceived in our judgement of how mature we are.
If a person thinks that he is mature enough and is not, he is in great danger of being further deceived.

I think the warning was for everybody. The same way that we need to repent from time to time from our sins, we also need from time to time examine the voice that we hear with the bible. When we commit fleshly acts the voice of our flesh might be strong enough to suppress the voice of God. But when we repent, we recognize where we were, and how ignorant we were about that voice.

2016/6/14 16:29

Re:

Very good post Julius.

2016/6/14 16:33

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy