SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Authority of the Scriptures

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Authority of the Scriptures

Would you listen to a preacher/teacher who does not back his words by the written word of God?
In the middle ages people did not have the bible, they accepted the word that their teachers brought to them. People's words counted as God's words. The pope used to be speaking what "God revealed to him", he was supposed to be infallible. If we say that personal revelation is capable to bring new doctrines into christianity that are not written in the bible, we agree with the chatolics, and undo the reformation.

2016/6/13 19:28

Re: Authority of the Scriptures

When Jesus taught he always backed up his teaching with the scriptures. The books of the OT testified that what Jesus said was so.

2016/6/13 19:39

Re:

Yes, I did a study today on all the places where Jesus said, "It is written".

Good study if anyone wants to do it.

2016/6/13 19:43

Re:

It is a good study Julius. Jesus showed us how we should relate to the written word of God.
Jesus defeated Satan by quoting the written word of God.
Jesus always confirmed the written word of God by his own words, explaining it's real meaning.
Luke 4:16-21
" 16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,

18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.

20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.

21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears."

Edited to add: We also use the written scriptures (along with our personal revelation) to tell the people who Jesus is.

2016/6/14 3:54

Re:

Tozsu

I don't think anyone here would argue about the role of scripture that you have outlined. We will all, I am sure, will refuse anything that is not confirmed in the Bible. No Catholics here.

For more personal direction though, we must rely on inner revelation first before scriptural confirmation otherwise how will a man know he is called to the ministry?

There are many who think that God only speaks through the Bible today. That is wrong He speaks through His Son who uses various means including direct revelation to our spirits. Many who have not had access to the scriptures have found this.

2016/6/14 4:21

Re:

But WHO is the scripture talking about? WHO fulfilled the scripture in Isaiah? This is the thing I have been trying to challenge us to consider.

The opening verses of John say in the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. It does not say in the beginning was the Bible and the Bible was with God and the Bible was God.

Revelation 19:13 says He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called the Word of God. It does not say that His name is called the Bible.

The Trinity is NOT Holy Father, Holy Son, Holy Bible. But God has manifested himself in Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Truth is found in a person. His name is Jesus Christ. He is the Word of God. The final revelation of God is found in Jesus Christ. He is the absolute truth. Absolute truth is not in a book but in a Person. His name is Jesus Christ.

But He is also dynamic truth. And as such God communicates the truth of Jesus Christ in other ways outside of the printed word. That is the issue I have been trying to raise.

There are cultures that do not have a literary base. We call them oral cultures. They do not have the printed word of God in their heart language. But missionaries will communicate the truth of Jesus Christ through oral proclamation. They will communicate the truth of Jesus Christ in storying. In missions this is known as orality. The oral truth of Jesus Christ is communicated through the oral story.

Truth is not contained in the pages of a book. But it is contained in the person of Jesus Christ. Does the book speak of Jesus? Yes it does. But Jesus told the Pharisees that they searched the scriptures thinking that in them they have eternal life. But it was the scriptures that pointed to Jesus.

We do not worship the medium of which testifies of the Truth. We do not worship the Bible. But we worship Him of whom the Bible speaks of.

At the risk of sounding heretical and I suppose that by the above statements I am heretical. It is not Holy Bible. The Bible is not a holy book. But the Bible speaks of Him who is Holy. Thus we worship Jesus who is the Word. We do not worship the Bible. To do so would be idolatry. Or I should say bibliolatry.

Simply my thoughts.

2016/6/14 4:23

Re:

Agree entirely Blaine. How do we know that what we read in the Bible is the truth? The witness of the Holy Spirit is first.

Scripture is the fountain but not the source.

2016/6/14 4:26

Re: Brenda

Beautifully said sister. You communicated in fewer words what I was trying to communicate. Scriptures are the fountain. Jesus is the source.

Thank you so much for that illustration.

Lord bless you my sister.

2016/6/14 4:28

Re:

Thank you Blaine :)

It did npt come from me though, the early Quakers said it. They were against the worshipping of scripture.

2016/6/14 4:30

Re:

Appreciate those dear saints Brenda. They truly lived out Jesus. Just as you live Him out :)

2016/6/14 4:50

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy